Record Store Day

Record Store Day (official website)

By way of Capitol Records Beach Boys Page:

Vinyl Single Set and ‘An Introduction To Syd Barrett’ 180-gram Double Vinyl LP Exclusively Available at Participating Indie Music Retailers

Hollywood, California – February 22, 2011 – To support Record Store Day on April 16, Capitol/EMI will release limited edition vinyl titles for The Beach Boys and Syd Barrett, to be sold exclusively by participating independent music retailers across the U.S.

The Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations”/”Heroes and Villains” will be released as a limited edition double 78RPM vinyl single set with the songs’ original single release mixes on one disc and alternate versions of both songs on the other disc.

An Introduction To Syd Barrett will be released as a limited edition, 180-gram double vinyl LP package with gatefold jacket and printed inner sleeves. The collection, executive produced by David Gilmour, was released on CD and digitally in November 2010, bringing the tracks of Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett together for the first time on one compilation.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

78 RPM single? Really? Most turntables don't have 78 anymoe and haven't for about 40 years.

Record day is fun enough. Plenty of merch is available after the fact. We all know now that plenty of Kicking Televisions are STILL available for this record store day. I have also seen the Neko Case clear LP as well.

I think this is fun. Bloodshot has an record coming out of the 15th Anniversary show material.

LouieB

And stuff from US or UK that is truly limited is almost impossible to get in Canada.

And in my opinion, it seems to be getting less and less like the original vision of Record Store Day and more and more like Cash Grab Day.

I think it is sort of neat to read about some of these releases, but I have no desire to buy any of this stuff.

And I'd say your right, there does seem to be more major label (what's left of them) interest. I think this may be due to the fact that there is a sudden revival of all things vinyl.

78 RPM single? Really? Most turntables don't have 78 anymoe and haven't for about 40 years.

Record day is fun enough. Plenty of merch is available after the fact. We all know now that plenty of Kicking Televisions are STILL available for this record store day. I have also seen the Neko Case clear LP as well.

I think this is fun. Bloodshot has an record coming out of the 15th Anniversary show material.

LouieB

I wondered about also. I think expensive high end turntables have that option. At least the one we have at work has that option.

I wondered about also. I think expensive high end turntables have that option. At least the one we have at work has that option.

I am not an expert on new turntables (or really old ones for that matter), but high end new ones may have 78 speeds, but I would think that most do not. Playing old 78s (and really except for Elvis Costello and the Beach Boys who has made new ones lately) on any turntable with a hifi needle on it, is a risky proposition. Old 78s have wide grooves and often lots of scratches and dings on them and really they should be played on turntables that are made for that type of record only. Having said that I have played them on the turntable I do have that has 78 on it and I constantly worry I am going to knock the end off the needle. People and institutions with 78 collections usually have turntables for that purpose.

LouieB

My mid-level AudioTechnica has a 78 setting; I think their whole line does, actually.

I probably have the same turntable as you. AT-PL120, or something like that? I forgot it had 78.

So, I suppose it's a slightly less stupid idea than I thought it was two minutes ago. Still not exactly a genius move, though.

If I recall correctly, there is a special needle just for playing 78s.

My old stereo which I got from my grandparents had one of those needles that you could flip over. A 78 needle on one side and a 45/33 needle on the other.

I wonder if this new 78 will be made in such a way that you can play it with a regular needle. What makes 78s require a special needle? I mean, you can play a 45, and set the speed control on it's fastest setting with no problem.

My old stereo which I got from my grandparents had one of those needles that you could flip over. A 78 needle on one side and a 45/33 needle on the other.

I wonder if this new 78 will be made in such a way that you can play it with a regular needle. What makes 78s require a special needle? I mean, you can play a 45, and set the speed control on it's fastest setting with no problem.

I think it is due the grooves, as LB talked about. I know for the turntable we have at work a different needle was purchased to play 78s. I have seen the ones you talked about, where the mechanism flips around.

I hope to have my turntable up and running sometime this year. I need to buy a new receiver.

Yea, it looks like Audio Technica has some 78 cred. A quick search - it seems like Crosley is trying to corner the market on this.

45 is still pretty fast.

Changing needles for 78s is a pretty good idea. I have wrecked needles on beat up LPs, not to mention 78s.

LouieB

45 is still pretty fast.

Anyone know how many RPMs you get if you play a 45 with the speed control all the way up?

I don't know much about the physics of record grooves, but I don't see any reason why you would HAVE TO have different types of grooves for a modern 78, considering you can play a 45 at significantly higher than 45 RPM, and DJs routinely scratch records at FAR higher than 78 RPMs without destroying needles.

Yea, it looks like Audio Technica has some 78 cred. A quick search - it seems like Crosley is trying to corner the market on this.

My dad's got a ton of old 78s, he's been converting them to digital with a Crosley-USB deal. :yes

I've seen those Crosley stereos - I would not buy one. I think there was some talk about those on here a few years ago. Of course, Sound Forge or something else would do a better job. But, whatever makes one happy is the thing to use.

Black Sabbath at 78 speed is a reference to an old Cheech and Chong routine.

I guess old Ozzy must need some more money for plastic surgery. I wonder how the powers that be came to pick him as the ambassador for record store day.

There are so many wonderful clean reissues of material from the 78 era that converting 78s to digital seems like a waste of time (although a great trip down memory lane for gogo's dad.) We are way off topic now, but listening to old 78s can be a very frustrating experience because folks rarely took very good care of them. In those days folks had far less money and far fewer records and they played them over and over and over and left them in stacks and stuff. But damn if those old things aren't cool as shit. Just having an appropriate turntable that can be dedicated to 78s would be fun. Like I said, it just scares the shit out of me to play 78s with a good hifi needle, because one scratch or bump or some shmutz on an old disk and you end up with an expensive repair.

Sorry I missed the Cheech and Chong reference; then again I have been at parties like that where we ended up playing records at the wrong speed for everyone's edification. If for no other reason, having multi-speed turntables is a hoot and a half.

Regarding gogo's father....I would be happy to recommend some reissue labels for him if he wants, depending on what he likes. Then he can blow out the rest of his hearing on his iPod listening to all kinds of new old records. Nearly all that old material has been digitized by someone else at this point.

LouieB