Record Store Day

Regarding gogo's father....I would be happy to recommend some reissue labels for him if he wants, depending on what he likes. Then he can blow out the rest of his hearing on his iPod listening to all kinds of new old records. Nearly all that old material has been digitized by someone else at this point.

Thanks, Lou. :cheers Yeah, you've set me up with some very cool old music before, so I know you know what you're talking about! And we've tried him out on some of those types of re-issues, but for him, this was about (1) his fascination at just being able to do this, technologically, (2) a cool project to fill some days (years later, he still isn't happy being retired!), and (3) the nostalgia factor of being able to listen to exactly what his own grandfather was listening to, all those years ago. So it was definitely an emotionally satisfying thing for him, even if it wasn't the best way to get that music.

And at this point, he's become so mesmerized with the vast array of podcasts out there (history, philosophy, sci-fi, etc.), that he barely has time to listen to what he's already got on his ipod.

My dad would be proud to know that I've totally hijacked the Record Store Day thread with his listening habits!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad would be proud to know that I've totally hijacked the Record Store Day thread with his listening habits!

Tell him to point his browser this way...I have some 78s that my parents had and some of them are totally torn up due to being played and played.

I am thinking about starting a thread on re-issue labels. There is so much great old music out there that comes nicely packaged. Others could also come up with some of their faves.

Now back to record store day...45 days or so??

LouieB

I am thinking about starting a thread on re-issue labels. There is so much great old music out there that comes nicely packaged. Others could also come up with some of their faves.

definitely. some of my favorites:

Shadoks

Sundazed

Dust-to-Digital

Legacy

Revenant (while it lasted)

even Drag City to a degree...they unearth some gems here and there.

Laurie's Planet of Sound it going to have red 45s by VeeDee. That sounds cool to me (and new.) How early are people lining up...?? :yucky

LouieB

Last year I kind of took my time and showed up well after they opened and I was able to find everything i wanted. This year I think I will get there right at store opening if I can. There are about 4 decent record stores in Denver to hit and a few of them have live music so I'm waiting to see that schedule as well.

Another announcement, Big Star:

…Our first two releases, that’s what! First stop? Memphis, of course!

We’ve got a brand new pressing of Big Star’s Third on 180gm vinyl! This is the Test Pressing Edition that commemorates the original 14-song version of this album among albums and comes stuffed with replicas of the studio tracking sheets and lead sheets. This limited edition is being cut from the original assembly reel, on the same lathe at the legendary Ardent Studios in Memphis and by the very same engineer who cut it the first time, Mr. Larry Nix! Pressed on high quality vinyl at RTI, this should be the definitive version of this album.

Randomly inserted into this limited edition run (1,000 for the US, 1,000 for Europe) will be five copies of the original test pressing from ’75 courtesy of Big Star’s Jody Stephens—signed by Jody, Larry Nix and John Fry of Ardent Records. You KNOW how hard these are to come by! All we ask, is that if you’re one of the lucky five to find an original in your package, please send us a picture of it, or of you and it, or of it and your favorite stuffed animal. We’ll post the photo on our Big Star page so you have bragging rights and we know they’ve all landed in a happy, loving home.

Second stop—swing west to Bakersfield!

Next up, we have a super rarity 7″ on yellow vinyl! It’s Buck Owens with previously unreleased early version of “Close Up The Honky Tonks.” This is the first time this version has appeared anywhere! The flip is the equally awesome early version of “My Heart Skips A Beat.” Recorded at Capitol Studios in early 1964 and early 1963 respectively, these are prime-time Buck rarities, both produced by the great Ken Nelson! Grab it while you can, we’re making 1,000 for the US and 300 for Europe!

So get thyself to your nearest record store on the 16th of April for Record Store Day!

I really want that Big Star test pressing.

Big star announcement

LP5216-ISB-plus7in-mini.jpg

:thumbup

This is cool. Making money off of dead rock stars, but what the heck, I want it. I have a very old vinyl reissue.

Since I have a vinyl Big Star Thirds and two CDs I think I will pass on that. It is going to be a very expensive Record Store day. These guys have finally figured this out.

LouieB

Here's an interesting interview with Eric Levin co-founder of RSD:

http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com/2011/03/exclusive-interview-with-rsd-co-founder.html

This was in response to a post made by the blog author:

http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com/2011/03/rsd11-number-of-releases-commentary.html

and what's even more crazy is the ever growing RSD 2011 list:

http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com/2011/02/record-store-day-rsd-2011-rsd11.html

• 2 weeks later...

just read the offical list of releases and was a bit underwhelmed. It seems a lot of companies are going with the special 7" which is cool as a collector piece but not essential. There is enought there (Justin Townes Earle 7", Pearl Jam 7" and Fleet Foxes 10 " and Ryan Adams to keep me interested though

Yeah, it looks like there's not a whole lot on that list that's even interesting...The Foo Fighters LP, Fleet Foxes' 10" and the Ryan Adams 7" are really the only ones I'm looking forward to. The Sonic youth 12' sounds interesting too. Hopefully there will be more added to the list.

Having the first 4 Pearl Jam's on vinyl from back in the day, I would like to have the Immortality 7", mostly because Pearl Jam should be supported and recognized as a mainstream act that was pushing vinyl back before this whole vinyl resurgence. I mean crap they have a song called Spin The Black Circle. Even though my love for Pearl Jam is harder to tap into (different place/different time) I respect them.

If I remember right, Vitalogy was actually released back in the day on vinyl a week or 2 weeks prior to the cd release

Having the first 4 Pearl Jam's on vinyl from back in the day, I would like to have the Immortality 7", mostly because Pearl Jam should be supported and recognized as a mainstream act that was pushing vinyl back before this whole vinyl resurgence. I mean crap they have a song called Spin The Black Circle. Even though my love for Pearl Jam is harder to tap into (different place/different time) I respect them.

If I remember right, Vitalogy was actually released back in the day on vinyl a week or 2 weeks prior to the cd release

It was. I have it. I bought it brand new for 6 or 7 bucks. That was the last new record I ever bought.

This whole deal must translate to some business for however many vinyl pressing plants there are left in this country. I can only hope they are not being pressed overseas somewhere.

not as much interesting items to me as compared to previous years...until i saw the last bit about regional small pressings...

i think i would dig the Husker split, Urge 7", the Fahey LP, the GBV tribute, the BTP/Glenn Jones record, Steve Gunn/Ilyas Ahmed split, Howe Gelb 7", Oval/Liturgy, the Superchunk/Coliseum Misfits covers 7", and maybe that Neurosis lp.

I am gonna line up like all the rest of you guys....

But there is no doubting that most of these releases are simply old material repackaged as 45s as a way to get folks to come to stores and hopefully buy other stuff. The majority of these artists are either dead, defunct, or putting out old material for a new audience. You have to hand it to the record industry though....I'll be there.....

LouieB