Record Store Day

Guest Speed Racer

Last time I went, it was the day that they were even more rude because they thought you were just coming for the RSD-only stuff, which meant that since they'd never seen you before you probably buy all your music on Amazon, which of course has to do with the fact that you have no soul and nothing to do with the store clerks' attitudes.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably be pretty cynical if I were a record store employee on RSD. It's a nice idea in theory, but it's kinda pointless for people like me who go to local record stores on a near weekly basis and don't buy much new vinyl anyway. Reissues especially. If there was a rare LP I'd been looking for for years, buying a "limited" reissue of it does not at all mean I've found what I wanted.

Stuff like Blur and Radiohead releasing new songs as a Record Store Day exclusive is great, I just question how limited they choose to make them. I know that's the appeal, but taking surefire big sellers like that and giving each record store only a handful of copies (if any) seems entirely counter-productive.

do people really run into douchey record store workers all the time?

maybe Boston is different, but i really can't think of any over the 20+ years i've been shopping here.

some cool band members were store workers that i saw a lot of over the years:

mack mackay (slapshot drummer)

richie parsons (unnatural axe)

bob fay (sebadoh)

yukki gipe (bullet lavolta)

peter prescott (volcano suns/burma)

robin amos (girls/cul de sac)

wayne rogers (major stars)

keith fullerton whitman (solo)

i'm sure there were others i'm forgetting.

I've never understood the "it's exactly the same but it's on vinyl now!" lure of RSD releases.

I've also never understood the lure of variations in vinyl's apperance. Yeah, I have a red A.M. and it's cool, but no one gives a poop if their CDs have different designs on them and I don't understand why vinyl would elicit a different reaction.

some people prefer vinyl for the artwork, for the sound, or just for the ritual of playing it as compared to a CD. I've certainly bought reissue LPs of stuff that i didn't previously have, or that I did have on CD or CDR. i won't really go out of my way for a color vinyl pressing of a record I've already got, but if it's a new release, i don't mind getting a rarer edition of a color pressing as compared to the black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC7wk0aT4oc

This is the one I am looking forward to getting on vinyl.

You and me both brother. I meant to post that clip yesterday after stumbling across it. I'm gonna call up my store to make sure they're bringing that one in.

Last time I went, it was the day that they were even more rude because they thought you were just coming for the RSD-only stuff, which meant that since they'd never seen you before you probably buy all your music on Amazon, which of course has to do with the fact that you have no soul and nothing to do with the store clerks' attitudes.

i was kind of being sarcastic, but kind of not. i just never feel cool enough in a record store. there was one great store here in atlanta that closed a few years ago and the dude was so great and loved seeing my kids. i bought everything i wanted from that dude and then some. RIP Ella Guru Records. i did used to work at a record store in the early 90s in dayton ohio. now, if you didn't like the pixies or GBV, you were not cool. i obviously wasn't because i would play grateful dead, phish, and pink floyd all day. my coworkers were pleasant but that's about it. looking back and at the present record stores are so high school:) i go in a pick up my stuff and don't really care. i'm glad to have one around these days.

Buying a reissue of a scarce LP is probably the only way a collector might get that album. To me, the limiting of these reissues is ridiculous, but that's just me. For example, Skip James' Vanguard album "Today!" is being reissued on RSD. I recently bought the CD version of this album which is quite good, but not astounding. Would it be nice to have it on LP? Sure why not, but is it really worth $20 and a special trip to wait in line for it? Not really sure. Why not just reissue it on an ongoing basis so that everyone who wants it (or some of these other LPs) can get it for the years to come? Isn't that better for everyone? It is better for both the record company (Vanguard isn't out of business or anything) and the consumer. That way someone wanting the album can go to their local record store any day of the year, buy that album AND all the other cool stuff that comes out on a weekly basis. But instead people will buy it, resell it (as mentioned above) and lots of consumers will STILL not be able to afford it.

For those looking for old LPs come to the CHIRP record sale on April 9 and 10th at Plumbers Hall in Chicago. Fun and old LPs sometimes for cheap.

LouieB

do people really run into douchey record store workers all the time?

Usually not, but in the '90s I used to buy an Impulse reissue LP at least once a week from Wax n Facts in Atlanta. Every fucking time, the clerk would make a snide comment, and the more crowded the store was, the louder the comment would be.

I went there for the first time in years when the latest Dungen album came out. I didn't get any commentary on my purchase that time, but then again, I was the only customer in the store. :lol

Buying a reissue of a scarce LP is probably the only way a collector might get that album.

It might be, but it's not the same. Feels like cheating for me. As a collector, I'd rather endlessly look for an album I might never find than be able to walk in a record store and buy a brand new reissue. But I can see how others would disagree.

It might be, but it's not the same. Feels like cheating for me. As a collector, I'd rather endlessly look for an album I might never find than be able to walk in a record store and buy a brand new reissue. But I can see how others would disagree.

I think "collector" was probably being used loosely.

I have a pretty large record collection, but I have no interest in acquiring "collectables", and I don't consider myself a record collector.

I agree that, in general, a collector wouldn't feel that a reissue is a good substitute for the original, but then again, the RSD releases (even if they're just reissues) are collectables in that they are very limited, one time only releases.

A true record collector would probaly want to own both.

Every record collector has different motivations. Those who actually like music and want to hear that music will buy it in whatever format it can be accessed in. I like lots of music that I will never see the original release because they are rare 78s. I am not paying thousands of dollars to hear a couple songs. There is a great deal of fetishism in this area. Reissues are going to play approximately the same as an original LP. Some original LPs play worse than reissues. Some folks just have to have that original copy for no other reason than they want it.

The entire vinyl only culture (currently rampant) is mostly a fetish and has little to do with anything (sound or otherwise) than a crazy desire for the person to own what they want to own. Remember all recorded music is a pale excuse for live music anyway. (Then again some live music is only a pale excuse for a really fine recordings...)

LouieB

Remember all recorded music is a pale excuse for live music anyway.-Peter Frampton, Grateful Dead

(Then again some live music is only a pale excuse for a really fine recordings...)-Beatles

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out that my local record store (Hyde Park Records) is actually participating this year and having live entertainment. Typically the record stores in my neighborhood do not participate. When I moved here, 11 years ago, there were 4 record stores - now just one.

Of course I don't have a record player, but I guess it would be fun to check out anyway.

I forgot that a new record store (Groove Store) opened up the end of last year, it mostly sells LPs, so I haven't ventured over there yet.

Saw this on another board.

40 Sad Portraits Of Closed Record Stores

Edited by calvino

Hyde Park records seems to be better than in the past. There will be CD issues on record store day too. In years past they gave out free label comps. That was fun. Not sure if the labels have gotten greedy and decided not to do this anymore.

LouieB

Hyde Park records seems to be better than in the past. There will be CD issues on record store day too. In years past they gave out free label comps. That was fun. Not sure if the labels have gotten greedy and decided not to do this anymore.

LouieB

Hyde Park Records has a new owner as of a few months ago and he let go of all the previous clerks, which is a bit of shame. One guy in particular was pretty cool.

Yea, that is too bad. I went in there with CHIRP record sale material and they were really nice. I also bought some jazz at the same time. At least HP has somewhere for you to go (walking distance I do believe) so that's cool.

edit- I have a previous reissue LP of BS's third album. Do I need another (considering I also have two versions of the CD?); yea, maybe.

LouieB