Now Playing: March, 2011

:(

i actually like it. it's SO much better than their overblown/overproduced 2nd record. amazing? no. but it's a lot of the frenetic energy that made the first one interesting + better production.

full disclosure... i'm friends with them and designed their new website.

I absolutely loved The Loon. I agree that the second one was a bit of a mess, but I found a few good things to like about it. This one just seemed tuneless, although I did really like "Freak Out." It sounded like they were trying to incorporate too much Vampire Weekend into their sound on a lot of songs (that perception isn't helped any by the similar cover).

Don't worry, though, I'll give it a few more listens, but that first one was a struggle.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used to adore that 'Heavy Metal Love' tune back in the day

Hee hee.

Supposedly Volmer sings in church choir somwhere in town, which just proves that most metal guys are real sweethearts and always surprising.

Rock on!

silver.gif

38 hours since I got you home safe

42 gallons of your favorite propane

9 bibles to rest your head on

picking up signals on a vacant highway

throwing down marbles in a field of stray boys

stop mister it’s not my time now

teacher pre-school veil over my face

my neighbor has 2 wives to his name

that class is over

I know the moon is blue

This record does not receive the recognition it deserves.

Agreed. It's a great record. And I love how it morphs over the course of the album: starts out as a kinda retro-60's pop-sounding thing, and slowly becomes more electronic and atmospheric, as the album goes on. It's seamless and beautiful.

cover-sc-250x250.jpg

Reading that one of the songs has become a strange meme. An increasing number of bands are playing 'Put your Money' as a soundcheck song. Love little things like this, especially when the meme does not include Rick Ashley.

51fxzM2EGvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For some reason the new Kurt Vile (which I love) reminds me of Tommy Bolin. Maybe it's just the vocals, I don't know. Made me want to pull this one out anyways.