Now Playing: March, 2011

Geez, that cover sucks.

I've never heard any Robbie solo material. This any good?

I've only played it once so too soon for me to get a good feel for it. First impressions though, there's some good songs, probably the best thing he's released in 2 decades, not that he's been prolific in that period with only 2 albums released. If you're gonna investigate his solo work, I'd recommend starting with his self-titled debut, that one is pretty great.

NP:

up-syl_johnson.jpg?w=450&h=450

Syl Johnson - Complete Mythology

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only played it once so too soon for me to get a good feel for it. First impressions though, there's some good songs, probably the best thing he's released in 2 decades, not that he's been prolific in that period with only 2 albums released. If you're gonna investigate his solo work, I'd recommend starting with his self-titled debut, that one is pretty great.

A caveat on that RR debut: it was produced by Daniel Lanois and released in the late 1980's. Therefore, it SOUNDS like a Daniel Lanois-produced late-80's record. His fingerprints are all over that fucker, so make sure that you like that sound... with the atmospheric, droning synths, chiming guitars, and tons of reverb (think Joshua Tree).

For me, the songs are good, but the production takes it down more than a few notches, as it's just so intrusive.

Wonderful cover.

it is indeed a very cool record. they're playing here next Saturday, hoping to hit it up after Cut Copy.

and yes, the artwork (and esp. the gatefold of the vinyl) is AMAZING.

http://home-tapes.com/Hometapes/HAUS_HT039.html

it was done by Aaron Draplin, a Portland based designer (who used to live in Minneapolis), i adore his work:

http://draplin.com/

41ePq1k6gVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now my tears

they roll down

tous les jour.

How did Daniel Lanois get Neil Diamond to pose for his album cover?