• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah cool..let me know how it is seeing him in 2 weeks

I thought it was a solid show. His voice was surprisingly good given his age, and his band was really tight. The video shown when he played "Meat Is Murder" was unsettling, and I wish he'd played more than one song during the encore. One interesting thing is that he may be the first musician on his scale who offered none of his music for sale at the show. At least I didn't see any. Here are links to a couple of articles on the show from the local paper:

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2015/06/morrisseys_us_tour_opener_at_t.html

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2015/06/morrisseys_charm_humor_horror.html#incart_river

Oops, forgot to post this yesterday, but I saw Richard Thompson Trio last night.  The other times I've seen him he had a larger band. This lineup left a lot of room open for guitar soloing, which was some of the best I've ever heard.

Just back from Rush R40 tour at the ACC here in Toronto, there's a certain giddiness in the crowd at a hometown Rush show that feels really unique, someday I'd like to see them in another city and see if that's the case. Although many of the diehards in attendance seemed to think this could be their last hurrah, won't be for lack of ability if that ends up being true.

Deliberately avoided reading anything about the tour and I'm so glad I did, *SPOILER ALERT* they went backwards through time starting with a few from Clockwork Angels and ending the 1st set with Subdivisions. Obviously the 2nd set was gonna be off the charts and it didn't disappoint: Tom Sawyer - Red Barchetta! - Spirit of Radio - Jacob's Ladder - Hemispheres - drums - Cygnus - Closer To The Heart - XANADU!!!!! - 2112 Overture - Temples of Syrinx - Presentation - Grand Finale. Encore: Lakeside Park!!! - ANTHEM!!!!! - WHAT YOU'RE DOIN!!!!! - Working Man.

Only (minor) beefs - they went from Roll The Bones to Distant Early Warning, skipped right past Power Windows & Hold Your Fire, Power Windows is one of my faves, they could have done 4 off that album and I wouldn't have complained. And I never thought I'd see Rush in Toronto where they didn't play YYZ (Moving Pictures tour was my very first concert back in 1981). And of course the drum solo could have been 45 minutes longer, as always. 

But there's never room for everything from a career that long, it was an awesome show, wish I could go again on Friday. 

Courtney Barnett opening for Belle & Sebastian in Milwaukee.  (Every once in a while the opener is more appealing than the headliner, and this is one of those times.)

That sounds like a killer show.  The second set is nuts.

Saw the show in Tampa....really genius how they went current to old and the stage sets as well....really cool.  Never saw anyone ever do that.  That being said, I dont know how they keep up the enthusiasm with the same exact list every night.  Also, I think they have some (if not a bit more) backing tracks.  Rush fans I think may be the most loyal I ever saw.  Merch stand was killing it (like Backstreet boys).  They had T shirts 45 per and they had a leather jacket $450 (I didnt see anyone buying that).  9 out of 10 where wearing band gear.  Great career if this this the "last tour" def. need to go see it if you can.

For some reason I can't quote on this forum anymore...

I agree about the stage sets.  That was a very clever idea, and it looked great in all the photos I've seen.

My only complaint about the setlist is that Working Man has been played too many tours in a row, and it's really not good enough of a song to be such a workhorse.  It's probably super easy to play compared to most of their material, and maybe they always play it at (or near) the end so they can coast through the last little bit of the show after punishing themselves for three hours.

Courtney Barnett opening for Belle & Sebastian in Milwaukee.  (Every once in a while the opener is more appealing than the headliner, and this is one of those times.)

Yeah this seems like opposite ends of the spectrum. I just saw B & S and am seeing Courtney in July looking forward to it!