• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Galactic and Robert Randolph at HOB Boston

Was on my radar but Dennis Brennan is doing a benefit for a local Art school for students with Autism. Those local to Boston it will be a great night at Thundsr Road

Was on my radar but Dennis Brennan is doing a benefit for a local Art school for students with Autism. Those local to Boston it will be a great night at Thundsr Road

I have friends who are big fans, I'm sure they will be at Thunder Road tonight. Explains why they're not going to HOB.

Wow - that should be awesome.  Please report back ...

What a night. The Preservation Hall Jazz Band kicked things off with a set of their own that lasted about 45-50 minutes. Really good stuff, including what I presume to be some new material with a Latin sound. I read that the band traveled to Cuba last year and that their next album will be influenced by that trip. 

After about a 15-minute break Neko and her band (including Kelly Hogan) hit the stage. Neko played some songs from her more country-sounding days as well as plenty of newer stuff. I'm hoping a setlist will be published online, but I remember she played "I Wish I Was The Moon," "Man," "This Tornado Loves You," "Margaret vs. Pauline," and "Hold On, Hold On". There was a lot of witty banter, especially between Neko and Kelly. They played three or songs for the encore, including an awesome version of "Ragtime" with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Watching her next to 84-year-old saxophonist Charlie Gabriel was pretty great. It was the first show I've seen this year, and I won't be surprised if it's the best I'll see as well. Wish they'd offered a poster to commemorate the show because it's a night I'll cherish for a long time.

Saw Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit last night in Anaheim.  Terrific show; they played a new one off the upcoming album.  The name of it escapes me right now, but it was a tight, rocking, catchy song.  If the entire album is like that, he's got another winner ahead of him.

and Sheila Divine was a surprise pinch hitter for a tardy Evan Dando (who played two and a half songs of his own and then a Jayhawks cover, then left).

Tim - do you know who the woman was singing back-up with Dando?  It was incredibly awkward for that half-song because she kept asking him if she should stay on stage and he wouldn't answer then he played that Jayhawks song.  

Sound just not very good in rear Orch under the overhang/balcony. Also was sitting behind a really tall guy with a freakishly big head.

But row A tonight!! So it's all good

Sending message

Sound just not very good in rear Orch under the overhang/balcony. Also was sitting behind a really tall guy with a freakishly big head.

But row A tonight!! So it's all good

Sending message

Stinks about back orchestra but Nice for tonight! Hope you get some short folks ahead of you tonight!

Tim - do you know who the woman was singing back-up with Dando?  It was incredibly awkward for that half-song because she kept asking him if she should stay on stage and he wouldn't answer then he played that Jayhawks song.  

no i didn't recognize her. 

yeah, that brief interlude was a trainwreck. 

i did enjoy the stage banter of Aaron Perrino though :)

no i didn't recognize her. 

yeah, that brief interlude was a trainwreck. 

i did enjoy the stage banter of Aaron Perrino though :)

Ha - yes! Including singing "a ship without a rudder is like a ship without a rudder" in the middle of their first song ...