• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Damned!

We splurged for the VIP package (soundcheck, meet & greet, free records and poster) because this band has been really important to my wife for a really long time.   Now, if these jokers would just tell us what time to show up.

Midnight Oil.

jff, have a great time tonight. i love that band. in a somewhat funny coincidence, i saw them play at The Channel a few months after I first moved to Boston, the tour where the 1st set was Brian James on guitar and Captain on bass, then the 2nd set Captain moved over to guitar and Paul Gray took bass duties. unbeknownst to me at the time, my future wife was also at that show.

jff, have a great time tonight. i love that band. in a somewhat funny coincidence, i saw them play at The Channel a few months after I first moved to Boston, the tour where the 1st set was Brian James on guitar and Captain on bass, then the 2nd set Captain moved over to guitar and Paul Gray took bass duties. unbeknownst to me at the time, my future wife was also at that show.

Thanks!  My wife saw that tour in Miami.  1989, or something like that. They still had Rat Scabies on drums, but he's no longer in the band.  I really like them, thanks to her, but she goes back way farther with them than I do.  I'm concerned that they haven't told us what time to be there for the soundcheck/VIP thing.  I'll be bummed if we don't get to meet Dave Vanian and Captain Sensible. My wife has prepared some things to say to Captain so that she doesn't get the starstruck muteness.  I've gotta say I'm kind of smitten by that, so if the VIP thing goes off without a hitch it will be a great night.

EDIT:  Just found out the VIP thing is from 4:30 - 5:30.  Now I'll have to see if I can get off work an hour early.  Fucking nail-biter.

Tomorrow night is the long awaited new album (The Frequency of Love) release concert by the Giving Tree Band! Lincoln Hall, 9pm. Then they embark upon another national tour!

Saw Real Estate a few nights ago. They were excellent. I am a sucker for their sound. The new guitar player is (surprisingly) an improvement.

Love them but have to give the new album a few listens. Has not really hit me like Atlas did.

Hopefully you made the VIP session, jff!

I did. The boss let me leave an hour early, and it was tons of fun.  They played a bunch of songs for us that weren't in their show.  It was worth it for that alone, but they also gave everyone a bag full of merch. Probably $50 worth of stuff.  7" New Rose picture disc, a t-shirt, poster, zine, and several other little goodies. 

oh nice, i didn't realize you'd see the soundcheck too. that's great. what songs did they play?

They played Looking at You, I Fall, and a few others I'm less familiar with. I want to say they played Love Song (which was also in their show), and they played a couple snippets of songs that were just an excuse for Captain Sensible to play extended guitar solos, which he seemed to really enjoy.  Captain and Dave both seemed to get a kick out of my wife telling them about having seen the Captain nude on stage back in '89.  Dave said "what did you see?" in a sort of flirty way, She still hasn't come down from that.  

Ahh Joyce glad you are seeing Matthew! I am seeing him tomorrow sorry I am missing you. Hope all is well!

*laughs*

I was wondering if I might see you at this, but of course you're going tomorrow.

I've never been to City Vineyard, have you?

Yes it is really tiny. Seating is first come first serve. For the show I went to there a few months ago I got there about 75 minutes before the show and I got the front table. I think the place holds 150??

Thanks, good to know. I doubt I'll get the front table because I don't want to spend a ton of time there before the show, what with their overpriced wine and food. We'll see.

Thanks, good to know. I doubt I'll get the front table because I don't want to spend a ton of time there before the show, what with their overpriced wine and food. We'll see.

How was the show?

Matthew Sweet for me tonight

How was the show?

Matthew Sweet for me tonight

Nice! Luv Matthew. Totally nice guy as well as stellar musician.

The Flaming Lips tonight. Finally! After U2 Sunday & Flaming Lips tonight, I finally got smart & took tomorrow off from work to recover.