I just learned that James's dad is the writer Larry McMurtry. Mind blown!

I think I knew that at one time but forgot. I guess James comes by his wordsmithing honest. I was actually more excited about finally seeing him live, but Isbell & co. were great also.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised that so many are surprised that James McMurtry is Larry's son.  It seems like that fact has been mentioned in every review of James's work since "Too Long in the Wasteland." 

I'm surprised that so many are surprised that James McMurtry is Larry's son.  It seems like that fact has been mentioned in every review of James's work since "Too Long in the Wasteland." 

I'm in this camp.  I was living with a friend when Too Long in the Wasteland came out.  We played it a lot but my friend always called it "the album by Larry McMurtry's kid ..."

I'm in this camp.  I was living with a friend when Too Long in the Wasteland came out.  We played it a lot but my friend always called it "the album by Larry McMurtry's kid ..."

For me, I have heard of Larry McMurtry for 30-some years. James, maybe 8-10, and own none of his discs but appreciate  his tunes when I hear them. It's not an automatic connection, I guess, for most people who know one or the other in a casual sense.

Great show by St. Vincent last night -- the whole concept worked great. Canned music - yet it seem pretty spontaneous. The whole production was done very well.

Was not expecting it - but the opener -  the married jazz duo Tuck & Patti were equally great. I heard that there was movie played prior to the show - I guess Annie decided to change things up this leg and I am glad she did - they were both incredibly sweet when talking about Annie and themselves -- they have been playing together for close to 40 years --- Patti said once you get past the 1st 15 years it all great -- you just got to stick with it.... They did a great version of "Little Wing".

https://pitchfork.com/news/st-vincent-is-bringing-her-aunt-and-uncle-on-tour/

Also thought I spotted bbop in the lobby - but couldn't catch up to him to say hey...

Great show by St. Vincent last night -- the whole concept worked great. Canned music - yet it seem pretty spontaneous. The whole production was done very well.

I've been on the fence about seeing her on this tour, but not because she's not great live. I saw her on her last tour and was impressed. I may have to see her again based on your recommendation.