• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing them for the 4th time Thurs in RI

How was Ben & the Band ?

Loose, loud, and a total blast. Much fun. He played some solo stuff and a couple quieter songs he did for a movie (his brother’s perhaps?) in the middle which made a nice overall set. Really fun show.

My first btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julian Lage Trio

I'm a little bummed he isn't touring with the guys on his record (Kenny Wolleson and Scott Colley), but continually promotes his tour by posting videos of them rather than the guys who he'll be playing with.  I'm sure they're great, but that's misleading.

Nice expierence. I like these one off type shows. Curious what theater my in laws live in Marietta and I’m down there often.

Sorry, just saw this post. It was the Buckhead Theater (which used to be The Roxy),  I didn't even know they had closed, but apparently it was sold recently.  They painted the interior a reddish color, which looks nice and is an improvement over the boring light beige. I think they also brought in new sound equipment.  Other than that I didn't notice any changes.

Julian Lage Trio

I'm a little bummed he isn't touring with the guys on his record (Kenny Wolleson and Scott Colley), but continually promotes his tour by posting videos of them rather than the guys who he'll be playing with.  I'm sure they're great, but that's misleading.

Sorry to quote myself, but to follow up on this, my disappointment over not seeing Kenny and Scott was for naught.  Julian's band were terrific, and Julian's playing was absolutely dazzling.  Just unbelievable perfection.   I have no idea how a musician gets to that level.  He is as good on guitar as Charlie Parker was on sax.  Kudos also to the audience.  I gripe frequently about Atlanta audiences being chatty and indifferent, but this crowd was dead silent when it needed to be and wildly enthusiastic at all the right moments.

Alone Together is still a favorite Lp of mine.

Here too. That was a huge favorite in my crowd when we were in h.s. I still have my vomit swirl colored vinyl. These days I mostly listen to the 2006 "Definitive Collection" cd.  I always try to catch him when he's in the neighborhood, but it's been a few years now.