• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonny Landreth - City Winery, Chicago

Just got back from NFF and had a blast.  Among the highlights were Amanda Shires, JD McPherson, Margo Price (joined by John Prine), Rachel & Vilray, Sturgill Simpson , Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit (joined by David Crosby), Low Cut Connie (amazing), Hiss Golden Messenger, Shakey Graves, Courtney Barnett, Preservation Hall, Jen Cloher (joined by Courtney Barnett), Nels Cline (joined by Warren Haynes), Toots and the Maytalls, Gary Clark, Jr. and Brandi Carlile. 

Just got back from NFF and had a blast.  Among the highlights were Amanda Shires, JD McPherson, Margo Price (joined by John Prine), Rachel & Vilray, Sturgill Simpson , Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit (joined by David Crosby), Low Cut Connie (amazing), Hiss Golden Messenger, Shakey Graves, Courtney Barnett, Preservation Hall, Jen Cloher (joined by Courtney Barnett), Nels Cline (joined by Warren Haynes), Toots and the Maytalls, Gary Clark, Jr. and Brandi Carlile. 

Thanks for the report. I've been wondering, what did the Nels and Warren set consist of?

^^ Warren sat in with Nels and sang a couple of songs.  Nels gave a nice little shout out to his "friend and chief enabler, Jeff Tweedy" and sang "What Light." to close his set.  As a singer, Nels is an amazing guitar player :)

Wait, did I misread that or are you saying Nels sang What Light?!

Also that line up looked great this year, hope you had fun!

Wait, did I misread that or are you saying Nels sang What Light?!

Also that line up looked great this year, hope you had fun!

Yep.  Nels sang What Light -- some of it in key. :wave   

I had a great time.  The only disappointments were (1) missing the Autumn Defense's set and (2) the way the "unannounced" headliner on Saturday night was handled.  It turned out to be Mumford and Sons -- whom I can't stad (especially the sons).  Otherwise, it was a great weekend.

^^ Both.  I can't stand Mumford and his sons, but the way NFF went about the big reveal -- no announcement until they actually took the stage that they were the Saturday headliner -- was annoying.  I was standing three rows from the stage for Courtney Barnett (who proceeded the Saturday night headliner at the Fort Stage) and stuck around/held my ground hoping that it was going to be Neil or anyone besides Mumford. By the time I started seeing a banjo and upright bass set up (meaning it was going to be Mumford), it was 30 seconds before show time and pretty hard to get the hell out of dodge.  I did it, but I wish they just would have made the announcement sometime before right at show time. Seemed odd.   

I went to both Radiohead shows in Boston (last Sat & Sun) and I'm extremely glad that I went. Excellent!

Glad that I held off on buying Smashing Pumpkins tickets which I think were announced earlier in the day when Radiohead was announced back in February. Everyone is touring this summer.

I'm seeing The Alarm tonight at the new Tupelo Music Hall in Derry, NH. I'm missing David Byrne in Boston, but I'm driving up to Portland, Maine next month to see him.

The Decemberists, Waxahatchee, Death Cab For Cutie.

Nice! I saw them last October & they were pretty good. Enjoy!

Yeah no complaints from me, they were great! Paz even sang Gigantic which I wasn't expecting.

The Decemberists, Waxahatchee, Death Cab For Cutie.

Yeah no complaints from me, they were great! Paz even sang Gigantic which I wasn't expecting.

i'm resting up for pearl jam next friday & sub pop's spf 30 next saturday. very excited to see beach house @ spf 30!