• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did you make a run for the exits after they finished their set to avoid Weezer?

A (very) young Cowboy Poet actually really liked Weezer, one of the first bands I ever got into and a gateway to Pixies, Nirvana, etc. But I don't think I could make it through a Weezer set in 2018... (maaaybe if it was just Blue and Pinkerton played back to back... for the nostalgia!!). But fortunately, it was a non-Weezer show. The band that opened is Sleigh Bells and they were the worst goddamn band I've ever seen. I'd watch Weezer play Beverly Hills a thousand times before I'd ever watch one of their sets again. They were 90% prerecorded, with two guys with BC Rich metal guitars doing some fuzzy chords. It was like what a teenager in 2002 might have envisioned "cool" being. But everyone here in Missoula seemed to like them so what the hell do I know.

i'm resting up for pearl jam next friday & sub pop's spf 30 next saturday. very excited to see beach house @ spf 30!

Nice!! I'll be in your neck of the woods for TWOD and Jeff in September!! 

A (very) young Cowboy Poet actually really liked Weezer, one of the first bands I ever got into and a gateway to Pixies, Nirvana, etc. But I don't think I could make it through a Weezer set in 2018... (maaaybe if it was just Blue and Pinkerton played back to back... for the nostalgia!!). But fortunately, it was a non-Weezer show. The band that opened is Sleigh Bells and they were the worst goddamn band I've ever seen. I'd watch Weezer play Beverly Hills a thousand times before I'd ever watch one of their sets again. They were 90% prerecorded, with two guys with BC Rich metal guitars doing some fuzzy chords. It was like what a teenager in 2002 might have envisioned "cool" being. But everyone here in Missoula seemed to like them so what the hell do I know.

Nice!! I'll be in your neck of the woods for TWOD and Jeff in September!! 

cool, stay in touch. i have a friend from vancouver who is coming down for both of those shows, too. i used to travel for shows but its tough nowadays. there's a few that i would do it for if i could.

Mavis Staples, Whitney, Parquet Courts (from a distance), The Decemberists again doing The Crane Wife in full, and.... some songwriter named Jeff Tweedy.

That's cool & odd that you only got the Pixies. I assumed that they were on tour with Weezer for the whole summer. I'll have to check out their tour schedule to see if they had any similar "solo" shows. I've seen the Pixies twice & feel like I've missed them the last 3 times they've been through Boston.

An even stranger tour schedule is The Fixx's Reach The Beach 35th Anniversary Tour. It's a 2 month trek across the U.S. where 6 shows are not considered 35th Anniversary shows! Lol I can't find the logic in that one at all. And it's not festival dates either.

don't bring your phone, jack won't like it!

Oh man, it was a little annoying having my phone locked away. I wasn't crazy about not being able to check the time or message my wife when she was at the merch booth. I'm, admittedly, not opposed to taking a quick photo at the beginning of the set either. But it was nice not having jabronies filming videos, holding up their phones, letting their flash go, and shoving their phones next to the people on the rail's faces (this happened to me during Spoon earlier this year). Also it was nice seeing the warmth of actual lighters again and not a bunch of phone screens during slow songs. 

Oh man, it was a little annoying having my phone locked away. I wasn't crazy about not being able to check the time or message my wife when she was at the merch booth. I'm, admittedly, not opposed to taking a quick photo at the beginning of the set either. But it was nice not having jabronies filming videos, holding up their phones, letting their flash go, and shoving their phones next to the people on the rail's faces (this happened to me during Spoon earlier this year). Also it was nice seeing the warmth of actual lighters again and not a bunch of phone screens during slow songs. 

on the opposite end of the spectrum: at the Pearl Jam show Friday, Eddie Vedder came out solo for first encore & did "I Won't Back Down". Asked everyone to hold their phones up. All of Safeco Field was lit up by 40000 + phones. It looked awesome. Pretty sure there is video up youtube of it.

More Jack White tonight!

on the opposite end of the spectrum: at the Pearl Jam show Friday, Eddie Vedder came out solo for first encore & did "I Won't Back Down". Asked everyone to hold their phones up. All of Safeco Field was lit up by 40000 + phones. It looked awesome. Pretty sure there is video up youtube of it.

Yeah definitely, most people don't have lighters but everyone would have a phone. 

Dave Mason and Steve Cropper

Love Dave Mason. Particularly, Alone Together. 

Caught JRAD at Red Rocks last night. As you know, always a fantastic treat of music. The Jack Straw verse in the middle of Half-Step captured their vibe, for me.

I'm guessing there will be a salute to Aretha.

There was, but surprisingly not with Cropper and Mason. The way the show works is that the band comes out sans Cropper and Mason and does about a half hour of an opening set. During that set they did Change. The female vocalist in Dave's band is quite good and really let it rip. 

Love Dave Mason. Particularly, Alone Together. 

Caught JRAD at Red Rocks last night. As you know, always a fantastic treat of music. The Jack Straw verse in the middle of Half-Step captured their vibe, for me.

Excellent show, and I got to buy a re-release vinyl of Alone Together. We wore out the grooves to our original colored vinyl back in the high school days.  I've seen Dave about 7-8 times over the last 5 years, it's always a good show. Physically he's old and creaky, he walks with an awkward old man limp, but give him a guitar and mike and his guitar playing and vocals haven't lost a thing. Remarkable. I thought Cropper has lost something off his guitar fastball, but his playing had his unmistakable sound, and it was great to hear his songs in the set, all those Booker T and Otis Redding and Blues Brothers tunes. Made for a very fun show. 

Re: your night of music, I agree, JRAD is fantastically insane! What a band.

How was this? Great I'll bet!

Yeah it was real nice! He played lots of FOW songs including the b side I’ll do the driving one of my favs. Got to talk to him a bit after the show too it was a great time! I put up the setlist in setlist.fm

Here’s a vid I shot