50 shows in the year after I retired (which was 12/4/17). The hiatuses(?) aligned, so not a single Wilco show on my list!!

Nice and congrats on your retirement go for 52 then you can say one a week!

I have had a similar mission and it was to go to at least show a month and I have done so since April 1998

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all... it's been a really fun year. that 1998 streak is really something tho.

Vince

ps - I realize now that my screen name makes a lousy acronym. just sayin.

Don’t sweat the acronym I’ve had the same screen name since my 1995 aol days when I was 15

Boston peeps how was Jeff last night?

I really enjoyed it.  I don't think he had great rapport with the interviewer and I suspect that they only met a few hours before the show.  She also didn't seem to understand that people want to hear Jeff talk and not her.  (And to be clear, I know she had a really tough job and I don't think she was terrible.) But he was funny and engaging and thoughtful and genuine.  He seemed a little nervous, maybe from not knowing what questions were coming next.  He talked about everything from musical inspirations to shredding on the guitar to depression/addiction to Jay Farrar.  

He then played three songs: I didn't recognize the first one (I have not been listening to the new songs so I assume it's on the new album).  But he followed it with IATTBYH and Let's Go Rain.

i thought she was pretty decent... i kept imagining myself in her place and yeah, it's not an easy job to keep a fluid conversation going. 

i thought she had a few missed opportunities for followup on topics, to go into more depth, esp relating to YHF, O'Rourke's contributions, and the documentary. i watched the Colbert episode when i got home and Jeff seemed a lot more nervous there.

i really liked the photo slideshow they had looping before it started. some pretty cool photos. 

Jeff was good. He was Jeff :)

I didn't like the interviewer (from WBUR/NPR). She did not seem to know how to approach the evening. She was a detriment to the night to my perceptions.

DId you catch Abbi Jacobson in NY? I would have liked to have seen her do this.

I did she disappointed me. Sounds like Boston got some better questions. What was the Farrar question about??

What was the Farrar question about??

I can't remember the exact question but Jeff basically said that people always want to talk about the tension between them and why UT broke up and focus on the negative aspects of the relationship.  He spoke about how he looked up to Jay and learned a lot from him and particularly how patient Jay was with him.    

I can't remember the exact question but Jeff basically said that people always want to talk about the tension between them and why UT broke up and focus on the negative aspects of the relationship. He spoke about how he looked up to Jay and learned a lot from him and particularly how patient Jay was with him.

well that’s a nice thing to say! I know it’s a pipe dream but I hope one day I’ll see Uncle Tupelo

I can't remember the exact question but Jeff basically said that people always want to talk about the tension between them and why UT broke up and focus on the negative aspects of the relationship.  He spoke about how he looked up to Jay and learned a lot from him and particularly how patient Jay was with him.    

I think he led into that by saying the books answered questions nobody asks him, like did you have good times with Jay. Or something like that. He spoke about this in one of the many book review interviews I've read. 

I had a really nice time last night at the book talk. Those three songs were a real tease, though. Would've loved to have heard a couple more ;-)

My favorite topic was one that I've heard Jeff cover elsewhere, but was especially well said last night. This is a crude retelling, but he mentioned something about a dichotomy between creativity and destruction, and how he wishes everyone had a creative outlet because it's much more difficult, if you're creating, to also be "destructing." I'm not doing the sentiment any justice with my retelling, but that really stuck with me. It was a real treat to get to hear Jeff talk so freely and at such length.

If I'm remembering correctly he got a round of applause for that "creating" vs. "destructing" talk.

I got a kick when he started talking about Richard Thompson during a discussion about guitar proficiency. Jeff produced one of RT's recent albums at the Loft and seems to have had a very good relationship with him. "Richard talked a lot about the Queen." RT played Solid Sound.  I wanted to yell out that Richard was playing at the Paradise last night, but I was in the Mezz. I had tickets for both shows. I got the impression that Jeff had no idea. The Tweedy thing ended in time to get over to the Paradise and catch all or most of RT's set starting at 9:10, but I had already sold my ticket.  

If I'm remembering correctly he got a round of applause for that "creating" vs. "destructing" talk.

I got a kick when he started talking about Richard Thompson during a discussion about guitar proficiency. Jeff produced one of RT's recent albums at the Loft and seems to have had a very good relationship with him. "Richard talked a lot about the Queen." RT played Solid Sound.  I wanted to yell out that Richard was playing at the Paradise last night, but I was in the Mezz. I had tickets for both shows. I got the impression that Jeff had no idea. The Tweedy thing ended in time to get over to the Paradise and catch all or most of RT's set starting at 9:10, but I had already sold my ticket.  

i was tempted to yell that out too... Amelia didn't seem to know that either.

good waving to you from across the aisle last night, wrp!

i was tempted to yell that out too... Amelia didn't seem to know that either.

good waving to you from across the aisle last night, wrp!

You too Tim. I'm so used to seeing you in photos with a beard that I had to do a double take!

A friend was at the Paradise hoping Tweedy would show up, but not to be.