• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glen Hansard with The Frames and Lisa Hannigan opening in Auckland!  Yay.

I nearly missed it though, I saw no promotion at all until I happened to see an in flight magazine on Sunday, show on Wednesday!  Luckily I only need a single ticket so I still got third row.

I don't know how all the ticket places email me about every shit stadium act coming and neglect to tell me about stuff I've actually bought tickets to before

When the Swell Season came to NZ I only found out the week after:/

So here I go tomorrow driving 8 hours round trip for a 2 hour show :)

just back from Veronica Falls. really good band, if you like that nervous energy guitar stuff (think Feelies, The Clean, Verlaines, etc).

I've been thinking of picking up their new record.  You're the second person that has cited the Feelies.  I'm not totally sold on the youtube clips I've seen of them, but I think the record could win me over.

• 2 weeks later...

Glen Hansard with The Frames and Lisa Hannigan opening in Auckland! Yay.

I nearly missed it though, I saw no promotion at all until I happened to see an in flight magazine on Sunday, show on Wednesday! Luckily I only need a single ticket so I still got third row.

I don't know how all the ticket places email me about every shit stadium act coming and neglect to tell me about stuff I've actually bought tickets to before

When the Swell Season came to NZ I only found out the week after:/

So here I go tomorrow driving 8 hours round trip for a 2 hour show :)

Awesome! I visited your lovely country two years ago and drove 1000 km between the north and South Island! Where you coming from? Enjoy the show! Glen is great!

Back on topic..

I saw they might be giants last night! Anyone else a fan?

played a few songs from the new one, which as a record is a bit dull but live the songs worked (aside from "Mermaids," which kinda dragged...he opened w/ the 1st track, played "Jubilee Street" and "Higgs Boson Blues" and ended the encore w/ "Push The Sky Away" which actually was a great way to end it.

others i remember:

deanna

red right hand

from her to eternity

jack the ripper

stranger than kindness

the weeping song

stagger lee

into my arms (i think)

maybe one or two others...really amazing show, and it being up so close (4th row) made a huge difference. it looked like the people in the balcony were seated for most of the show.

from her to eternity

stagger lee

Thought these were the highlights.  Stagger Lee was particualrly intense. 

Agree that it was an amazing show.  I was maybe 12 or 14 rows back but wish I was in the 4th row. When he walked into the crowd on the backs of the chairs was he over you?

And did you take pics?

i did take pics...that was a saga in and of itself.

yeah, when he was singing "Deanna" my friend who was next to me captured it on vid...amazing! he was right in front of us on the chair backs. he spent a lot of time over at our side, way more than stage right.

in terms of shooting the show, pull up a chair...here's my long-winded diatribe that i posted on my facebook page today

from a fan's perspective, last night's Nick Cave show was amazingly awesome. from a photographer's, it was a nightmare. here's the bloody saga...sorry for my weeping (and he did play "The Weeping Song").

1 - i was not on the list. apparently i went through a publicist that wasn't actually handling the press details w/ the tour manager (i went through 0 to 60, who put out the initial tour announcement, and somewhere along the way, it was nasty little man who actually coordinated the details, including the release).

2 - i spent the next 40 minutes trying to square this away...i sent emails to the 0 to 60 as well as everyone from NLM i had in my contacts...the person handling Cave was out on vacation and i got an auto-reply. the woman at the will call was no help.

3 - i had warren ellis' email from a photo sale two years ago, and as a last ditch effort figured i'd use that (i had also interviewed him in person last summer, and hoped he would remember me). he actually got back to me, and we traded a few emails, but the TM didn't know my contact from 0 to 60.

4 - sharon van etten's set started.

5 - i saw a random crew member from Cave's production team on his way in the building (spotted the laminate) and appealed to him for help; gave him a card.

6 - my contact from 0 to 60, and the NLM person, finally got back to me saying it was being sorted.

7 - i have my photo pass!

8 - i get in, and talk w/ another shooter i know...i knew about being able to only shoot the 1st song, but there are other restrictions...we are limited to shooting at the cross-row that separates the orchestra (front seated section) from the sound desk and back seating. this actually isn't too bad, and a 200mm isn't tight but it's workable.

9 - i also find out that after the 1st song, no cameras are to be allowed to stay in the building, and there is no production office to hold them. i parked a 10 min walk away. i also bought a ticket (great seats, actually - 4th row), and the prospect of missing ~20 min of the show wasn't too appealing to me.

10 - song 1 is a lot shorter than i thought it was going to be, and the lighting was dismal. pale blue w/ absolutely no lighting on Nick's face. he hung back most of the song.

11 - go to the lobby and find a main security guy i know from shooting there...plead my case and he allows me to keep my gear as long as i don't take it out and use it.

12 - from song #2 onward, it's a maelstrom of rock. nick is a demented shaman, dangling over the stage and during "Deanna" he actually stood on the tops of the seat backs and was directly in front of me (if you are a facebook friend of mine, check the video i shared that my friend shot...incredible). i was super-tempted to sneak at least one shot but thought better of it. but man, the images i could have gotten were mind-boggling.

given what i had to work with, i really question why Nick even goes to the trouble of allowing photo passes...even Grinderman was a lot easier than this shoot. it's not like he really needs the publicity; this show was sold out quickly, and with good reason. it'll be hard to top this as concert of 2013 for me. too bad i won't have any decent photos from it (my iPhone photos came out pretty crappy...i wished i had a small rangefinder w/ me last night).