Wilco mention on American Idol

Geez guys - someone finally breaks the mold on AI and he gets all this harsh criticism. He's a Ryan Adams fan and chose his song because Ryan is his 'idol'. Props to him, way to go. I'd rather hear him sing Ryan Adams, Tweedy, Rod Stewart - whoever, as opposed to the majority of the crap people sing on that show.

Yea, the show is ridiculous but it has America as its audience.

And he wore a Nudie suit.

I'd rather hear him sing Ryan Adams, Tweedy, Rod Stewart - whoever, as opposed to the majority of the crap people sing on that show.

I totally agree. I'd much rather hear someone sing some Wilco on that show than those songs with the ubiquitous trills. Plus, dude is kinda good to look at. I like looking at him. (Are those teeth for real?)

Apparently, after the show, McDonald tweeted that he was thrilled he got Wilco mentioned on AI. I also read that this was his third choice song for this show, the other two were "not approved."

The TV producers at AI make watchable TV that appeals to the masses. True musicians among the contestants have to sell their soul somewhat to be on the show. I'm sure there is some Stockholm Syndrome thing that happens too, when they have you cloistered in this "mansion," with the other contestants for months, and each day you are pimped around filming ads for Ford, doing press for the show, and recording tracks of cheesy cover songs they choose, that they then sell on iTunes.

Still, as a cultural phenomenon AI is interesting to me. It really is a form of "manufactured consent."

I was thinking maybe the AI folks should launch different genres of AI, like "American Rock Idol," "American Punk Idol," or "American Garage Idol" That might be more fun for me to watch. I am a good demographic with purchasing power. They ought to cater to me.

Geez guys - someone finally breaks the mold on AI and he gets all this harsh criticism. He's a Ryan Adams fan and chose his song because Ryan is his 'idol'. Props to him, way to go. I'd rather hear him sing Ryan Adams, Tweedy, Rod Stewart - whoever, as opposed to the majority of the crap people sing on that show.

Yea, the show is ridiculous but it has America as its audience.

And he wore a Nudie suit.

i agree, i like his voice...

exactly!!

I'd be much more likely to give props to someone who transforms a song I don't like into one I do (e.g., Richard Thompson's Oops I Did it Again) than someone who does a cover of a song I like in a style I don't like. Whether or not he did something different on Idol is irrelevant to me.

The guy looks like Bradley Cooper and Matthew Perry's love child. With a dash of Dominic Monaghan.

Anyways, at least the last two times that WIlco was mentioned on national television was by 2 people of color. :ninja

"people of color" and a ninja emoticon? really?

yeah, but if he sucks, he sucks. Steven Tyler was being generous buy saying he was a little pitchy. Plus he was just awkward on the stage moving around.