Huge Earthquake in Japan

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

live footage can be watched at http://jibtv.com/pro...een.aspx?page=0

looks like the tsunami has struck some coastal areas. lots of damage, but honestly it doesn't look as bad as you'd think for an 8.8

edit: that was definitely a premature statement on my part. looks like some very devastating damage in areas. definitely hope the people in these buildings got out safely.

no kidding. it was sickening to watch the cars scramble out of the way of the wall of water. can't imagine how terrifying that must be.

I thought the exact same thing - I couldn't help pleading with the cars on my monitor, urging them to go, go, go!. One of the big disadvantages of modern technology is how much more real it makes a tragedy like this, how much closer to "home" it becomes. Part of me wants to shut it off and part of me can't.

I ache for all the Japanese living through this right now.

Guess I'm just another human that can't help but watch this whole thing with a morbid curiosity. My heart goes out to all affected by the earthquake and tsunami. After having lived in tornado alley all my life, I know people are basically strong and quite able to survive anything and keep on going in spite of what Mother Nature can throw at us. Won't hurt to put in a good word with the big guy upstairs for some help to get everyone through the next few days and weeks in Japan.

My city, Riverside CA, has been "sister cities" for over 50 years with Sendai, the city closest to the epicenter. I feel such enormous sadness for Japan, and the long, hard road that lies ahead for them. :no

The nuclear plants are a frightening situation! And I hope the Japanese are able to get a handle soon on the huge oil refinery fires. My kids keep saying that the footage coming out of Japan looks like a movie..."The Day After", or something. Surreal.

Reminds you of the unrelenting power of nature - just so shocking how everything can be gone in a flash. How much warning, if any, did they have that a tsunami was approaching?

Holy Toledo! This just out from CNN:

(CNN) -- The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

I'll bet Sarah Palin can see Japan from her front porch now.

Despite the obvious and obviously terrible devastation, that is part of the reason I like earthquakes. We need something to remind us occasionally that we are not in charge.

Anyone hear from Hi-Rose and the other Japanese members? Its hard to look at the news these days....:upset

I can happily report that Hi-Rose (Rei) is just fine, as is her family. She emailed me last night and said, "I felt the shake, but my region is safe." She also said that she didn't have any acquaintances in the stricken area. I was so relieved to hear from her! When the earthquake had just happened and the news was calling it a magnitude 7.9, I emailed her to ask whether she and her family were ok. As things got worse and worse, and I watched the tsunamis racing over everything in their path, I kept trying to reassure myself that I was pretty sure Rei was in the south, away from the epicenter and tsunamis...she had talked last year about trying to go see Wilco in Osaka. And of course, given the situation in Japan, I didn't expect that emailing me back would be among Rei's highest priorities!

But oh, the relief I felt when her message popped into my email last night! Be safe, Rei and family, and God bless all of your countrymen. :cheekkiss

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.nuclear/index.html

The link is to a CNN story about the Japanese nuclear plants having problems from the quake and tsunami. Being from Kansas I'm familiar with power outages and damage from big thunderstorms and tornadoes. Some how damage from a tornado just doesn't come close to what's being shown on TV in Japan right now. People are tough and will survive this and, hard as it is to think about right now, They'll be stronger for having survived the worst mother nature can throw at them.

I can happily report that Hi-Rose (Rei) is just fine, as is her family. She emailed me last night and said, "I felt the shake, but my region is safe." She also said that she didn't have any acquaintances in the stricken area. I was so relieved to hear from her! When the earthquake had just happened and the news was calling it a magnitude 7.9, I emailed her to ask whether she and her family were ok. As things got worse and worse, and I watched the tsunamis racing over everything in their path, I kept trying to reassure myself that I was pretty sure Rei was in the south, away from the epicenter and tsunamis...she had talked last year about trying to go see Wilco in Osaka. And of course, given the situation in Japan, I didn't expect that emailing me back would be among Rei's highest priorities!

But oh, the relief I felt when her message popped into my email last night! Be safe, Rei and family, and God bless all of your countrymen. :cheekkiss

That is good to hear but it is still so many sad stories out there :ohwell