Huge Earthquake in Japan

How dare you guote a world renonwned scientist regarding this extremely complicated subject regarding world safety on a band's fansite. If you can't create a more informative thesis than some expert who happens to have been knighted for his work in this field you shouldn't post anything at all.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then we have this...

U.S. Declines to Give Details on Radiation

U.S. government officials, in private sessions on Capitol Hill Friday, repeatedly declined to give details of radiation measurements at the stricken Japanese nuclear complex, saying the situation is shrouded in a "fog of war."

Separately, the Obama administration said Friday "miniscule quantities" of radiation from the Japanese nuclear accident were detected Friday at a monitoring station in Sacramento, Calif., a day after similar traces of radiation were detected in Washington state. The administration said the levels of the radioactive isotope xenon 133 were approximately equivalent to one-millionth the dose received from the sun, rocks or other natural sources.

The Obama administration's reluctance to detail in public what it is learning from radiation-detection operations around the damaged Fukushima Daiichi complex in Japan highlights a broader sensitivity in the U.S.'s posture toward a stricken ally. The shift comes after statements Wednesday by the head of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission that painted a grimmer picture of the nuclear crisis than Japanese officials had offered, and suggested that the U.S. didn't trust the information coming from the Japanese government...

The Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization said Friday that its network of radiation sensors had detected radiation emitting from a series of accidents at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant last Saturday and had followed the radiation plume across thousands of miles of ocean to Sacramento.

The radiation could circle the globe in roughly two weeks, said Annika Thunborg, a spokeswoman for the United Nations's agency.

My link

I haven't found this reported on the much "respected" mainstream media this morning. Then again, they are too busy hyping the new war. What a disgrace....

New explosion at Fukushima strikes No. 2 reactor, containment vessel damaged

A new explosion rocked the Fukushima No. 2 reactor today, says Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO). That explosion caused new damage to the containment vessel, resulting in a rise in radiation being leaked into the environment (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english20...).

This news of the worsening situation comes on the heels of some good news in the nuclear catastrophe: TEPCO has been able to restore grid power to buildings 5 and 6, which also house enormous quantities of stored fuel. Neither of these buildings was considered the primary threat in the first place, but it is at least a hopeful sign that TEPCO might have a chance at preventing a meltdown (http://www.smh.com.au/world/headway...).

Japanese crews are now working on an attempt to restore the functionality of the pumps that circulate water to cool the fuel rods. Those pumps are reportedly working in buildings 5 and 6, but no one even knows if the pumps are functional in buildings 2, 3 or 4. (They may have been damaged in the explosions that rocked the site.)

To make matters even worse, it appears that the cooling pool in reactor No. 4 has a leak and won't hold water. As the Sydney Morning Herald reports, "The pool at reactor No.4 has the hottest spent fuel and is thought to have either holes in the pool or another leak that is allowing water to run out. It is thus imperative to cool those heat sources first."

My link

How dare you guote a world renonwned scientist regarding this extremely complicated subject regarding world safety on a band's fansite. If you can't create a more informative thesis than some expert who happens to have been knighted for his work in this field you shouldn't post anything at all.

I'm sorry. I don't know what got hold of me. :cheers

French animation of radiation plume covering the globe over a two week period of time. I can't read French but you can trace the maximum levels by following the X on the map. It is color coded and I take it the darker the shade the more radiation. Can't tell the values however. Still it is pretty impressive...

My link

I purchased potassium iodide last night. maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, but there are at least 2 nuclear reactor sites in my general area, Indian Point in NY is ON A FAULT LINE. I just want to be prepared.

An interview with one of Japan's leading nuclear power experts...

What They're Covering Up at Fukushima

By HIROSE TAKASHI

Yo: Every day the local government is measuring the radioactivity. All the television stations are saying that while radiation is rising, it is still not high enough to be a danger to health. They compare it to a stomach x-ray, or if it goes up, to a CT scan. What is the truth of the matter?

Hirose: For example, yesterday. Around Fukushima Daiichi Station they measured 400 millisieverts – that’s per hour. With this measurement (Chief Cabinet Secretary) Edano admitted for the first time that there was a danger to health, but he didn’t explain what this means. All of the information media are at fault here I think. They are saying stupid things like, why, we are exposed to radiation all the time in our daily life, we get radiation from outer space. But that’s one millisievert per year. A year has 365 days, a day has 24 hours; multiply 365 by 24, you get 8760. Multiply the 400 millisieverts by that, you get 3,500,000 the normal dose. You call that safe? And what media have reported this? None. They compare it to a CT scan, which is over in an instant; that has nothing to do with it. The reason radioactivity can be measured is that radioactive material is escaping. What is dangerous is when that material enters your body and irradiates it from inside. These industry-mouthpiece scholars come on TV and what to they say? They say as you move away the radiation is reduced in inverse ratio to the square of the distance. I want to say the reverse. Internal irradiation happens when radioactive material is ingested into the body. What happens? Say there is a nuclear particle one meter away from you. You breathe it in, it sticks inside your body; the distance between you and it is now at the micron level. One meter is 1000 millimeters, one micron is one thousandth of a millimeter. That’s a thousand times a thousand squared. That’s the real meaning of “inverse ratio of the square of the distance.” Radiation exposure is increased by a factor of a trillion. Inhaling even the tiniest particle, that’s the danger.

Yo: So making comparisons with X-rays and CT scans has no meaning. Because you can breathe in radioactive material.

Hirose: That’s right. When it enters your body, there’s no telling where it will go. The biggest danger is women, especially pregnant women, and little children. Now they’re talking about iodine and cesium, but that’s only part of it, they’re not using the proper detection instruments. What they call monitoring means only measuring the amount of radiation in the air. Their instruments don’t eat. What they measure has no connection with the amount of radioactive material. . . .

Yo: So damage from radioactive rays and damage from radioactive material are not the same.

Hirose: If you ask, are any radioactive rays from the Fukushima Nuclear Station here in this studio, the answer will be no. But radioactive particles are carried here by the air. When the core begins to melt down, elements inside like iodine turn to gas. It rises to the top, so if there is any crevice it escapes outside.

Yo: Is there any way to detect this?

Hirose: I was told by a newspaper reporter that now Tepco is not in shape even to do regular monitoring. They just take an occasional measurement, and that becomes the basis of Edano’s statements. You have to take constant measurements, but they are not able to do that. And you need to investigate just what is escaping, and how much. That requires very sophisticated measuring instruments. You can’t do it just by keeping a monitoring post. It’s no good just to measure the level of radiation in the air. Whiz in by car, take a measurement, it’s high, it’s low – that’s not the point. We need to know what kind of radioactive materials are escaping, and where they are going – they don’t have a system in place for doing that now.

Read more of the interview:

My link

personally I don't think there is anything wrong with being prepared. this incident is proof that nuclear power isn't necessarily safe and perhaps we all should be prepared. I saw a poll today that said 56% of those questioned think that nuclear power isn't safe and we should move to wind and solar power. I agree with that sentiment.

my heart goes out to Japan. the devastation is unbelievable and the fallout will affect all of us since so many things we purchase in this country are made in Japan. I can't imagine what the citizens are going through. it's painful to watch.

Meanwhile, back in the land of the rising sun...

Japan nuclear crisis: workers 'losing race' to save reactor

Workers at Japan’s earthquake hit nuclear plant lost ground in the battle to save the plant from meltdown after the radioactive core of one reactor appeared to have melted through the bottom of its containment vessel.

My link

and in the US...

Group warns EPA ready to increase radioactive release guidelines

The EPA is preparing to dramatically increase permissible radioactive releases in drinking water, food and soil after “radiological incidents,” according to Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility.

What is termed a guidance that EPA is considering - as opposed to a regulation - does not require public airing before it’s decided upon...

The radiation guides called Protective Action Guides or PAGs are protocols for responding to radiological events ranging from nuclear power-plant accidents to dirty bombs.

Drinking water, for example, would have a huge increase in allowable public exposure to radioactivity, the group says, that would include:

A nearly 1000-fold increase in strontium-90

A 3000 to 100,000-fold hike for iodine-131

An almost 25,000 rise for nickel-63

Read more:

My link

How convenient. You see, they really do care about us...