Jeff on CBC's Strombo show

I can't believe I didn't post this much much earlier, but Jeff is apparently in Toronto a day early and he's filming an interview (and maybe a performance?) today at 2:30 on the Strombo show.

Not sure what the ticket situation is like at this point, but sometimes if you go down to the CBC building you can get tickets that people didn't pick up for the taping, if someone wants to take that chance!

I'll keep my head up for when it will actually air as well.

stuck in Detroit with the Memphis Blues.

Damn. I could have snuck out for this too.

But I wonder if this will mean a secret show/appearance anywhere in Toronto tonight?

My vote would be the Dakota for an Al Miller cancer benefit. Very good bands (Sam Martin, Catl, Dodge Fiasco, Rattesnake Choir, Beauties) with all kinds of donated merch and silent auctions but I don't think any of those people are connected to the Wilco-TO-Bob Egan group.

I actually just opened for the Beauties a week or so ago, and Shawn from the Beauties owns the Dakota and we had a lengthy chat about Wilco but he never mentioned anything like this, but hey you never know.

A couple weeks ago I went to the Sky Blue Sky Sandwich Co. and they said that if Jeff didn't come in this week they were going to play Ryan Adams records all day long :D Kidding of course!

:crybaby :crybaby :crybaby

:canada

thanks BB. Have fun tonight.

Kalle - know Shawn a bit from the Dakota and we had the Beauties open for Luke Doucet in the fall. I hear you're playing Ottawa with Alex (Olenka) and the string section. Have fun too!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good song.

Yet again, it is early for speculation and guessing- but I can't help but wonder what Wilco will do with these two new songs Jeff's playing if they make it to the record. They could go "Jolly Banker" on the arrangement, or they could go "Poor Places". The answer to that kind of question usually turns out to be "neither".

I didn't get the whole hating on Bon Jovi thing. Is it just because he's from New Jersey?

This was the quote in the papers: (MSN)

Jon Bon Jovi is saddened that the “magical” experience of buying records in a store is disappearing, brick-and-mortars stores being eroded in part due to iTunes’ success.

Bon Jovi tells The Sunday Times Magazine, “Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it.”

-------

I don't own any Bon Jovi music, but interviewed him once in the mid-1990s. Affable man. This doesn't sound a million miles from something Tweedy would say.

I thought I read something the other day on a music blog that Jon Bon Jovi was in an interview, lamenting that Apple and Steve Jobs destroyed the music industry, and it's a shame that nobody buys music "the way they used to." Of course, I'm sure iTunes has been very good to Bon Jovi -- I can't imagine too many people are getting on there to download the full Slippery When Wet record to get the deep cuts, rather than just "You Give Love a Bad Name," "Wanted Dead or Alive" or "Livin' on a Prayer."

Somebody has already done a very nice cover of the new "Open Your Mind" song here. He has a sweet sincerity that serves the song well.

I wonder if he's on this board, since it looks like he's done a few other Tweedy songs. Stand up and take a bow if you're this guy!