Jeff Tweedy - Queen Elizabeth Theatre - Toronto - 3/22

bbop will have the setlist I'm sure. A bunch of rarities were played though!

Jeff played one new song, which has now been dubbed the "Open Your Mind" song I guess, of course it's far too early to tell, and I have no clue what it will sound like with the full band, but I must say on first impression it had some fantastic lyrics and more of a country-folk tinge to it. Very promising.

The crowd was pretty odd at times and the hecklers were yelling out some ridiculous things but Jeff was in high spirits and was hilarious all night. With it being the first night of the tour there was some to be expected lyric flubs but all in all it was a great show with some really fantastic performances of In A Future Age, Chinese Apple, I'm Always In Love. Can't wait for tomorrow!

bbop will have the setlist I'm sure. A bunch of rarities were played though!

Here you go, sir... (Great to see you, as always, and congrats on the new record! :thumbup )

In A Future Age

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

new song-Open Up Your Mind?

IATTBYH

One Wing

Muzzle of Bees

Chinese Apple

Via Chicago

Please Be Patient With Me

—happy birthday sung to guitar tech Steve—

I'm Always In Love

The Ruling Class

You Are Not Alone

Wait Up

A Magazine Called Sunset

Poor Places

Hummingbird

-----------------

Jesus, etc.

California Stars

A Shot in the Arm

-----------------

Acuff-Rose (performed at edge of stage w/o PA system)

Not to reply to my own post, but just a couple of tidbits/thoughts from the show...

*Jeff came out pretty promptly at 9 p.m. and played until about 10:35. Thought we might get one more new song, but maybe he'll do a different one tomorrow night. I was just as glad to get a second listen to the one I'm calling "Open Up Your Mind." It's definitely got some interesting, very poetically crafted lyrics, and a folky feel to it.

*Apparently Jeff paid a visit to the Sky Blue Sky Sandwich Company here in Toronto earlier in the day, and the visit prompted some of his best banter of the night (which he probably had been working on for a while). He said, of the SBS sandwiches, that "they were OK...but I preferred the earlier, more experimental sandwiches. They seemed a little safe. Why not try some mulch or tinsel? Or fiberglass?" :lol [edit: I guess he had also used the line while he was at the shop itself, as I just saw in the Just A Fan thread, but it sounded like he added to it during the show bit.]

*The Queen Elizabeth Theatre was not what I was expecting at all. It sort of reminded me of a big college lecture hall/auditorium. Seats that were sold as "balcony" were, in fact, just more like stadium-seating in a movie theater. And the theatre itself felt pretty far removed from downtown Toronto; it was part of a fairgrounds complex, next to a soccer stadium. I guess it wasn't the worst venue, all in all, but when I was picturing some called the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in my head, it definitely wasn't that.

*After explaining he doesn't often play "Poor Places" by himself (and going on to flub a lyric), he preceded the next song, "Hummingbird," by saying it was another one with "a low reward-to-risk ratio." :P

That sandwich comment is really funny.

Got a large MOV file from the hudband this morning. He was saying there was a no camera policy, which he must have been broken for Acuff Rose. The vid is actually very good.

Also says he got into a music conversation with the legendary Dave Hodge and his partner.

*(#^&^*& for missing this.

I was just as glad to get a second listen to the one I'm calling "Open Up Your Mind."

I've never heard this song, but that's not going to stop me from making a setlist recommendation. This song followed by Madonna's "Open Your Heart." I'm sure it would be a fascinating compare/contrast exercise based on (what may possibly be the) title. Maybe in Madison.

:lol Thanks for the reports! I'm eager to hear any new songs ... and the older ones, too.

Just a few thoughts...

-Chinese Apple literally made me stop breathing.

-New song sounded sweet.

-To the dude behind me who thought he was having a private convo with Jeff the whole night...for the love of god, why?

All in all, fun night, as usual. Does Jeff not use his Breedlove anymore? I don't think I saw it last night, unless I'm mistaken...

-To the dude behind me who thought he was having a private convo with Jeff the whole night...for the love of god, why?

hate that.

Jeff solo youtube link

Admin note: Via Chicago does not allow the posting of videos of Wilco or Jeff Tweedy solo, as per this rule:

•Wilco has a long-standing policy against the videotaping of their shows, and out of respect for this policy, the posting of such videos on Via Chicago is not allowed.

This also applies to solo Jeff Tweedy shows.

A link is allowable though.

To the dude behind me who thought he was having a private convo with Jeff the whole night...for the love of god, why?

was this the guy that kept laughing when tweedy played something difficult, because that guy needs to catch a beating.

was this the guy that kept laughing when tweedy played something difficult, because that guy needs to catch a beating.

I think keylime is referring to the guy in the third row who kept telling Jeff to "turn it up to 11." At which Jeff, of course, turns around, looks at his setup, points to it and says something like, "Do you see what I've got here? There's nothing...to turn up to 11." So the guy says something like, "OK, 10 and a half, then." But he just kept saying stuff like that. It was sort of annoying. Nothing worse than saying something that Jeff (or any performer, for that matter) responds to and then not letting it go.

He also kept saying something like, "Sing it harder, Jeff." Or something dumb like that. :brow

Really enjoyed the show last night. I've been wanting to see a Jeff solo show for ages, so glad he finally came back to Toronto.

Would've liked to have met some of y'all but don't know what anyone looks like :D. We'll be sitting in B12-13 tonight if anyone wants to drop by and say hey.

I'm the guy with too much time and requested Magazine Called Sunset, again and again.

I was happy he played that one. Good Call on that request. :thumbup

Really, someone was doing that?

Like laughing out loud? Or laughing when Jeff made funny faces when he messed up?

Or simply laughing at the mistakes?

wow

awesome, awesome show. i'm starting to lose count of how many times i've seen Wilco, but it's easy for me to know that this was my second time seeing JT solo. and tonight (weather permitting - i live in Waterloo, and it's snowing like mad) will be my third.

the performance was really good, musically. Hummingbird and Poor Places as acoustic versions - so cool!

Thanks for requesting Magazine Called Sunset - that was a major highlight for me.

Jeff's between-song (and sometimes in-song) antics/banter was pretty funny.

i can't add too much more than what has been said. personally, i liked the location of the venue, since i live west of Toronto, driving there was easy - i hate driving into downtown Toronto, so it was a bonus for me.

the opening act Snowblink was really good. Folks - don't show up late! Go see them! They have some magic in their band.

It was my first Jeff solo show, too. Thought I'd have to wait until Solid Sound.

Wow. "You Are Not Alone" surprised me, it sounded great and was quite powerful. I sort of welled up near the end.

The "mulch/tinsel/fibreglass" comment re: the Sky Blue Sky sammich was hilarious.

Thanks, bbop, for the setlist!

I thought one wing sounded incredible live. I was just trying to figure out the chords he was playing, but ended up forgetting the changes. Man, I would love to be able to play that song like that.

It looks like he played the intro with inverted power chords (not sure what else to call it( around the 9th fret. i could never figure out the intro before...

end rant.

oh yeah, forgot to mention the new song was very good. i don't always know which are new songs, because i'm not too familiar with the b-sides and non-Wilco songs, but i do remember the "let me be the one to open up your mind" song from last night. i was thinking it might be new. there were some lyrics about being "old" or something, so i thought it must be recent. and "You are not alone" was also pretty wicked. I don't know the song too well... listened to the Mavis Staples version once or twice, so I don't "know" it. but i recognized it by its title. it was definitely very cool to hear some newer stuff. as much as i like the old classics from Summerteeth etc, it's refreshing to hear new things.

I thought one wing sounded incredible live.

yes!! that song never really hit me until hearing it last night in that rendition.

...and a lyric flub that was sort of funny:

Jeff sang "I'm gonna need to be patient with me" instead of "I'm gonna need you to be patient with me".

The thing that was funny was the look on Jeff's face after he sang it. A slightly embarrassed smile, sort of like, "oops, that makes no sense at all, but i wonder if anyone even noticed".

My second time seeing Jeff solo (but kind of my first since the previous was Solid Sound last summer). I was

pleasantly surprised with the venue. Lived in Toronto all my life, but never been in the Queen Elizabeth Theatre before. You don't think of the CNE grounds as containing hidden gems, but found one last night.

I thought the audience was respectful and stayed quiet, those talkers mentioned by other must have been far enough away from me.

Multiple highlights in my mind

Future age, You're not alone were great. I thought that ending the set with Poor Places and Hummingbird, especially after commenting and warning that he thought they were songs that were better in a Wilco setting, wwas a little offbeat. Each song was wonderful to hear, but it did not seem that we were building to an ending....

i agree that it felt a little abrupt, ending the set when he did. if anything, it just felt too short (not that i'm complaining - he played a while - it just FELT short). i felt like we were just getting going, then "ok, bye, thanks". of course, we knew there'd be at least one encore, but it was a bit surprising...

"already?"

The show was a no camera zone last night, but was anyone able to sneak a decent pic by chance? I need one for a review I'm writing for the show.

If anyone is able to pass one along, I'll gladly give you a credit on the site.

Please contact me if possible.

Thanks!

the opening act Snowblink was really good. Folks - don't show up late! Go see them! They have some magic in their band.

I thought they were awful. I'd suggest hanging out in the lobby and drinking until Jeff comes on.

I agree it felt really short, but that was my only real complaint. First time seeing Jeff solo and it was awesome.

I thought the crowd was cool. I enjoy the people who yell out things because it gets Jeff going. I was laughing my ass off at times.

I did have a pack of about 5 hipsters in front of me. 3 were 2 rows ahead and 2 were 1 row ahead and a few seats down. Those 2 that sat together got up 5 times during the show. 5! They didn't even have the decency to wait between songs. Then during the encore they joined the other 3 and were standing in the aisles acting like jackasses. So annoying.

I missed Acuff-Rose :( The lights around me came on and I figured it was over.