Jeff Tweedy -- 3/25/11, Montréal, Québec

What started out as a fairly sleepy show — Jeff looked like he conceivably could have woken up from a nap not long before he went on stage — turned into a fairly lively one once Jeff and the crowd got going.

Four songs in, Jeff related a little Justin Bieber anecdote about how he and his family had recently gone to see the "Never Say Never" movie and both his boys, who have actually had Bieber-like hair since birth, started to realize that girls might have thought it was a more recent development and suddenly got all self-conscious.

A couple songs later, he related that he had just missed (by a few hours) meeting Neil Peart of Rush in Toronto the other day and that got some wiseguys in the crowd to start yelling out for Rush songs. He started to play a riff to one, but quickly stopped and said the guitar wasn't in the right tuning or "I could do it, totally." After playing "Someday, Some Morning, Sometime," he joked "that was from (Rush's) 'Moving Pictures.'" :lol

From there, he was pretty chatty the rest of the night...

*When a guy in the front row loudly asked Jeff why his guitar said "Buick" on it, Jeff scoffed and said he wasn't selling ads on his guitar or anything like that. This is the jumbo Gibson that he's been playing a lot lately and, for the record, he said it says "Buck" and that he has another one like it that says "Bob." (Of course people assumed it had something to do with Buck Owens, and some jackass in the back started yelling out "Buck You!" intermittently for the rest of the show. :brow)

*Regarding a terribly off-tempo and persistent clapper during "Kamera," Jeff afterward thanked "whoever who made that person stop clapping. ... Not to be mean, but that was really distracting."

*Saying that it had been among the top requests from the Web site, he prefaced "I'm A Wheel" by saying in a sarcastic tone that it was a good one to play on an acoustic guitar, pausing during the song to say he wasn't going to do a windmill and then afterward commenting, "I don't think I'm gonna do that again."

*In "Summer Teeth," when a few people started ooh-ing a bit early, he sort of shook his head and said, "Not yet," and later proceeded to give what I thought of as the "guided tour" version in which he took us through the song as he played, noting for example, that "this is the bridge part with a million overdubs on it" and then guiding the audience participation at the right time. (The crowd did turn out to be pretty good ooh-ers and aah-ers.)

*And finally, in maybe his best bit of the night, Jeff poked fun at someone near the front, stage right, who said "Oh!" pretty loudly when he recognized the opening chords to "Jesus, etc." Jeff riffed on that a bit, asking who said "Oh!" like that when they recognized a song they liked and implying that the guy was old (which I don't think he was at all). "Thanks for coming, Grandpa!" Jeff said. And later, "Kids these days go 'Whooo!' or 'Owwww!'" It was pretty funny, but maybe you had to be there.

Anyway, I enjoyed hearing a beautiful version of "When The Roses Bloom Again" as well as the new song (I Was Born To Die Alone?) again. Two other lines I think I mostly caught this time were "I am the driver at the wheel of the human [something?] at the gate" and "Mine eyes have seen the fury/So flattered by the gate." And the lyric I couldn't heard clearly the other night was definitely "finger" ("I believe I've seen the finger/Divine extremity." So there's definitely some religious imagery there, behind what was a pretty catchy melody.

Anyway, here was the complete setlist, as played:

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

IATTBYH

Far, Far Away

One Wing

Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

When The Roses Bloom Again

Someday, Some Morning, Sometime

Not For The Season

Country Disappeared

Via Chicago

new song-I Was Born To Die Alone?

Kamera

I'm A Wheel

Summer Teeth

Hummingbird

Jesus, etc.

A Shot in the Arm

------------------

Theologians

Passenger Side

I'm The Man Who Loves You

------------------

Walken (performed at edge of stage w/o PA system)

Acuff-Rose (performed at edge of stage w/o PA system)

The tiny bit he did of Spirit of the Radio was actually really well done! He said something later about 2112, playing it in its entirely or something. And that only the guys knew (liked?) Rush. Peart is pronounced 'pert' although Jeff sounded more like 'Parrot' or 'Pear-t' which I guess makes sense.

Further to what bbop said about Summer Teeth, Jeff also said that the song requires a certain amount of audience participation. Guided participation. You can't be left unsupervised.

There was also a funny exchange when the Buck Off guy kept shouting.

Jeff: Am I gonna have to fight? Because I'll do it.

Random Guy: Justin Bieber

Jeff: No, I wouldn't fight Justin Bieber.

Random Guy: Never Say Never (in reference to the Bieber movie).

Jeff: No. I didn't say never. I said wouldn't. Never say wouldn't!

Maybe you had to be there..

Anyway, found this clip of the "Good old fashioned exclamation....thanks for coming Grandpa" Jesus intro. Hilarious.

[video removed by moderator; see forum policies]

The tiny bit he did of Spirit of the Radio was actually really well done! He said something later about 2112, playing it in its entirely or something. And that only the guys knew (liked?) Rush. Peart is pronounced 'pert' although Jeff sounded more like 'Parrot' or 'Pear-t' which I guess makes sense.

I've been a Rush fan for 35 years and I'm pretty sure it is not pronounced 'pert'. It is my understanding from hearing Neil pronounce his own name on many interviews that it is closer to how Jeff was pronouncing it, Peert. Which I guess if stretched out long enough could sound like Parrot.