Looking for a decent turntable

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can spend a ridiculous amount of money on speakers. I fill my entire downstairs(approx. 1200 sq. ft.) with a $35 used pair of Cambridge Soundworks bookshelf speakers via Ebay.

Yeah, I have a pair of Technics on my basement stereo. Considering my $ situation at the time of purchase, they couldn't have been more than $60 or $70 (new) for the pair. I think they sound great.

My other stereo has a pair of small Sony bookshelf speakers which sound just fine. Although, I'll probably shop around a little more when/if I need to replace them.

Once you start getting heavily invested in this audiophile bullshit, you wind up spending tens of thousands of dollars rebuilding rooms to achieve acoustic perfection. If you're not willing to do that (and I most certainly am NOT), you might as well just go with typical consumer grade components.

i recently dove down this wormhole...vinyl and vintage audio equipment in general. i dredged up an awesome dd/quartz lock technics tt from '81, a great sounding technics amp from '81 to play the tt through and a decent pair of polk bookshelf r15's to deliver the goods, all for around $200 (oh and not to mention about a grand on vinyl itself...damn it's addicting).

• 4 years later...

I'm in the market for a new turntable.

I have had an Audio-Technica AT-PL50 for ten years. It's been serviceable, but it's always played everything a bit too fast, even 180g discs. I guess the belt is to thank for that. And the sound has always been a little muted.

So finally I've saved enough to go for a better quality item this Christmas.

Almost all of this thread's links are dead, but the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable seems to be the best buy, and it's still available.

Any arguments against this one (poor performance? quirks?), or in favor of another product that's come up in the past four years?

The Wirecutter likes it too: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/ so I guess my decision is pretty much made.

But I'm just wondering. Thanks.

BTW I use an old Sony Dream System DVD/receiver/speaker w/surround deal that's not the best, but it works.

I'm in the market for a new turntable.

I have had an Audio-Technica AT-PL50 for ten years. It's been serviceable, but it's always played everything a bit too fast, even 180g discs. I guess the belt is to thank for that. And the sound has always been a little muted.

So finally I've saved enough to go for a better quality item this Christmas.

Almost all of this thread's links are dead, but the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable seems to be the best buy, and it's still available.

Any arguments against this one (poor performance? quirks?), or in favor of another product that's come up in the past four years?

The Wirecutter likes it too: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/ so I guess my decision is pretty much made.

But I'm just wondering. Thanks.

BTW I use an old Sony Dream System DVD/receiver/speaker w/surround deal that's not the best, but it works.

I have the LP-120 and am very happy with it after upgrading from my bottom of the barrel Sony. No issues or problems and a lot of bang for the buck. I would recommend a good preamp (if you don't have one already). I suggest  the TC-750 (the model that I am using).

I have the LP-120 and am very happy with it after upgrading from my bottom of the barrel Sony. No issues or problems and a lot of bang for the buck. I would recommend a good preamp (if you don't have one already). I suggest  the TC-750 (the model that I am using).

So you use an additional pre-amp, even though the unit has one? Did you remove the installed one?

So you use an additional pre-amp, even though the unit has one? Did you remove the installed one?

No, I did not remove the installed one. There is a selector switch for the on board one. Although,  I have seen stuff online where people have physically removed it for true bypass. I have not done that.

:fish

Yeah, I know, but I do stand by my initial reaction. Exposed belts, iffy bases that will cause the unit to fall over (not my words, that's from reviews of at least two in that list), lack of dust covers, cheap materials (check low-starred Amazon reviews that are from users who didn't just take it out the box and give it five stars)...these all just seem like appearance-first, functionality/sturdiness-second products. I wouldn't risk my money on any of them.

the exposed belt is a fairly common design aspect for some tables, which require manual adjustment of the belt to change between 33 and 45 rpm.

Manual adjustment instead of a panel switch? Is there any advantage to that?

i would think that a dust cover is an option on some if not most, but i am not sure.

Sure, but how about making a record player with a dust cover? Who sells this, Apple?

i am still lusting after a Linn Sondek LP12

Now there's a goddamned machine.

i've never used a turntable where you had to manually change the belt setting to change speeds. i'm not sure of the advantages or disadvantages, other than it's not as convenient.

i'm guessing the dust covers are just removed to make it easier to photograph the unit:

Like all Rega turntables, the RP1 comes with a hinged dust-cover which can be easily installed or removed.

I think the reasoning behind manual speed change is that it's one less mechanism that has to be built into the base, allowing the base to be more solid, which cuts down on vibrations.  From what I gather, audiophile turntable design is 99% about eliminating vibrations.