Now Playing: April, 2011

What's that album with the topless chick? Looks good.

josh t pearson - last of the country gentlemen.

it's good pretty decent (all acoustic, with some strings and every song is very long and sprawling), but nowhere near as good as "lift to experience - the texas jerusalem crossroad" - which if you haven't heard is incredible. that's the only other album he's been involved in, it came out in about 2001, i think; and it's one of my favourite albums of the last few years (it's very long and sprawling too, but electric - with drums and bass).

i'd say check lift to experience out first, it's a concept album about the rapture & texas - so what's not to like? here's a taster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5DraE7M498

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not surprised at all: it's seems John's voice pretty much makes or breaks one's enjoyment of his music. I've found that more people dislike his voice rather than like it...Like when I'm pretty sure that TMG are right up someone's alley and suggest it to them, they're turned off. They seem to be the ultimate discerning taste band...

Absolutely. His voice grates my nerves so badly.... But when pitchfork linked video of Craig Finn singing on This Year, live, even low quality, it was great.

Here it is, in case you haven't seen it:

As I listen to Cold Cave's Cherish The Light Years more often, I've discovered that they sound more like a melodic Crystal Castles meets New Order. The Great Pan Is Dead is pretty amazing and makes me think that metal should carefully read pages 1 to the references page: that entire beautiful song reminds me of metal, NIN, and A Place To Bury Strangers.

I liked it: now, it's slowly ascending my list.

yeah, after their awful first record I wasn't very excited to check it out, but i'm glad i did. they're opening for The Kills here next month.

lpxOs.jpg

Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges

OH EM GEE WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN...

Psst... it's really awesome.

thumbup.gif

his first album wasn't quite this cohesive/engaging, but i'm loving this new one.

he's actually on the new Bon Iver album a bunch and will be a touring member this summer.