Now Playing: April, 2011

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Foo-Fighters-Wasting-Light.jpg

I could swear I hear hints of Queens Of The Stone Ages' Songs For The Deaf sprinkled on most of the tracks. Then again, Dave Grohl did drum for that album.

i only heard about half of that while it was streaming on facebook but i loved what i heard.

easily their best album since 'The Colour & The Shape' in '97

So far I still like There is nothing left to lose better but I'm only a few times through the new one. It is better than anything that came after that one though.

41NWS3C4C0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tell me about this.

I've been on a bit of a rocksteady kick recently and the AMG writeup of this comp makes it sound very, very promising.

While not nearly as well-known outside of Jamaica as the Wailers or the Maytals, the Gaylads merit similar consideration among reggae's greatest vocal groups -- with radiant, sophisticated three-part harmonies ideally matched to the rise of the down-tempo rocksteady rhythm, their records boast a beauty and angelic fragility unique in the reggae canon, and their choice of both material and producers was impeccable. Over the Rainbow's End compiles a generous 26 cuts from the trio's 1968-1971 heyday, the best of which -- "ABC Rocksteady" and the title cut among them -- were recorded not with the legendary Coxsone Dodd or Leslie Kong but with the lesser-known Sonia Pottinger, who perfectly couched the Gaylads' vocals in soft, supple arrangements most evocative of classic doo wop. Although the quality trails off following the exit of co-founder Winston Delano Stewart, there's not a truly disappointing moment here, and the first half-dozen or so tracks rank among the most glorious in all of reggae.

You agree?

:dancing I'm pretty excited about the new Kings re-issues coming out!

I got all 3 in the mail yesterday. Looking forward to a little Kinks bender this week.

are they re-remastered? i can't really see what extra you get on them if you already own the earlier remasters, as they were in mono anyway, or are the stereo versions worth hearing?

It has been remastered and there's a bunch of bonus tracks, including many previously unreleased ones. I haven't compared how it sounds to previous versions, but it sounded pretty good in the car yesterday. Here's what you get on the discs:

[Kinks: Deluxe Edition (Sanctuary/Universal (U.K.), 2011)

Disc 1: Stereo LP, singles and extra tracks

1. Beautiful Delilah

2. So Mystifying

3. Just Can’t Go to Sleep

4. Long Tall Shorty

5. I Took My Baby Home

6. I’m a Lover Not a Fighter

7. You Really Got Me

8. Cadillac

9. Bald Headed Woman

10. Revenge

11. Too Much Monkey Business

12. I’ve Been Driving on Bald Mountain

13. Stop Your Sobbing

14. Got Love If You Want It

15. I Believed You (Demo)

16. I’m a Hog for You Baby (Demo)

17. I Don’t Need You Any More

18. Ev’rybody’s Gonna Be Happy (Alternate)

19. Long Tall Sally

20. You Still Want Me

21. You Do Something to Me

22. It’s All Right

23. All Day and All of the Night

24. I Gotta Move

25. Louie Louie

26. I’ve Got That Feeling

27. I Gotta Go Now

28. Things Are Getting Better

Disc 1, Tracks 1-14 from Pye LP NPL 18096 (U.K.), 1964

Disc 1, Tracks 15-16 from Picture Book (Sanctuary/Universal 5313049 (U.K.), 2008

Disc 1, Track 17 was a bonus track on Essential/Castle Communications reissue (ESM CD 482), 1998

Disc 1, Track 18 previously unreleased

Disc 1, Track 19 was a single A-side – Pye 7N 15611 (U.K.), 1964

Disc 1, Tracks 20-21 released as Pye single 7N 15636 (U.K.), 1964

Disc 1, Track 22 was the B-side to “You Really Got Me” – Pye 7N 15673 (U.K.), 1964

Disc 1, Tracks 23-24 from Pye single 7N 15714 (U.K.), 1964

Disc 1, Tracks 25-28 from Kinksize Session EP – Pye NEP 24200 (U.K.), 1964

Disc 2: Mono LP, BBC sessions and extra tracks

1. Beautiful Delilah

2. So Mystifying

3. Just Can’t Go to Sleep

4. Long Tall Shorty

5. I Took My Baby Home

6. I’m a Lover Not a Fighter

7. You Really Got Me

8. Cadillac

9. Bald Headed Woman

10. Revenge

11. Too Much Monkey Business

12. I’ve Been Driving on Bald Mountain

13. Stop Your Sobbing

14. Got Love If You Want It

15. Don’t Ever Let Go

16. I Don’t Need You Anymore (Mono)

17. Bald Headed Woman (U.S. Mono Mix)

18. Too Much Monkey Business (Alternate Take)

19. Got Love If You Want It (Alternate Take)

20. Meet The Kinks (BBC Session)

21. Cadillac (BBC Session)

22. Ray Talks About “You Really Got Me” (BBC Session)

23. You Really Got Me (BBC Session)

24. Little Queenie (BBC Session)

25. I’m a Lover Not a Fighter (BBC Session)

26. All Day and All of the Night (BBC Session)

27. Ray Talks About the USA (BBC Session)

28. I’ve Got That Feeling (BBC Session)

Disc 2, Tracks 1-14 released as Pye LP NSPL 83021 (U.K.), 1964

Disc 2, Tracks 15-16 from Picture Book (Sanctuary/Universal 5313049 (U.K.), 2008

Disc 2, Track 17 from You Really Got Me - Reprise R 6143 (U.S.), 1964

Disc 2, Track 18 was a bonus track on Essential/Castle Communications reissue (ESM CD 482), 1998

Disc 2, Tracks 19, 24-25 and 28 previously unreleased

Disc 2, Tracks 20-23 and 26-27 from BBC Sessions 1964-1977 – Sanctuary SANDD010 (U.K.), 2001

Tell me about this.

I've been on a bit of a rocksteady kick recently and the AMG writeup of this comp makes it sound very, very promising.

You agree?

yeah, they're really good. but, i'd get a couple of other artists before i got them, if i were you. it's quite expensive to get in the uk, so only get it if you've heard this other stuff (below first):

the pioneers - long shot, that came out last year in england and i picked it up for £2.99 so you should be able to get it cheapish if you don't mind getting an import.

hear a track from the pioneers album here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YPlQoTVlqjs

it's a great album, and as hard to understand the lyrics are desmond dekker

also ken boothes - freedom street is another classic

here's the title track from that: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GtMFCugFb_Q

ken is a bit more ballady at times, but this album is the best he's done.

basically anything on beverely's records is going to be fantastic - everything sounds great.

I got all 3 in the mail yesterday. Looking forward to a little Kinks bender this week.

It has been remastered and there's a bunch of bonus tracks, including many previously unreleased ones. I haven't compared how it sounds to previous versions, but it sounded pretty good in the car yesterday. Here's what you get on the discs:

it does look really good. does it definately say they've remastered them again, or just remastered? it confuses me, cos the other versions are remastered and i wonder if they'd bother doing them again. i don't think i'll buy them though - i think the versions i have sound pretty good and they have the best bonus tracks - singles and b-sides.

61WH4Luw7vL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It pains me to say this but I'm not loving the new Feelies album. I love this band and the album maintains their basic sound but there are too many mid-tempo songs where they don't let the guitars let loose. It's decent and I'll keep listening to it (and see them live next month). Maybe my expectations were too high.