Now Playing: April, 2011

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

61kDxwO8dxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

As much as I love every one of his contributions to DBT, I would have never guessed I would be this indifferent towards all of his solo stuff.

i love isbell but honestly can't stand his new one. the lyrics are so bad. i keep listening hoping something will grab me but nothing ever does. sad.

i love isbell but honestly can't stand his new one. the lyrics are so bad. i keep listening hoping something will grab me but nothing ever does. sad.

yep.

it's good for 3-4 songs, but it's his weakest solo record by quite a wide margin

61vk%2BPyEm6L._SS500_.jpg

wow, this is really boring. I had way too much hope.

Yeah, sadly, I agree. I put it on for the first time yesterday and only got halfway through before I got so bored with it that I turned it off.

I'm sure I'll return to it and give it another go and make it all the way through. But wow, out of all the possible reactions I could have had to this album, boredom was one I never expected.

61B59NZG1CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just read a big article in MOJO about these guys so I am on a listening kick. I guess I never realized the extent of Joey's OCD. He once got all the way home from a tour, only to take a taxi back to the airport because he had to "touch it".

wow, for a one off joke, this is great:

Davids-Town.jpg

from the Fucked up Blog:

Hey everyone, you may have tried to buy or bought our LP for Ebay Day, Davids Town. Since lots of creeps went out to buy this specifically to flip it on ebay as soon as they got home and make up random pressing amounts to put in the listing title, here are some facts:

-THERE ARE 2000 COPIES OF DAVIDS TOWN.

-IF YOU BUY IT ON EBAY NOW INSTEAD OF WAITING 2 WEEKS FOR THE PRICE TO GO DOWN YOU ARE DUMB

-THE PRICE WILL GO DOWN ON EBAY IN TWO WEEKS JUST LIKE LAST YEAR

If you just want to hear the music, just search on google for the torrent or download link, it's out there already.

This one just arrived, and it's pretty damn good in a very classic country sort of way:

5171TavCPOL._SS500_.jpg

Oh, and it is a 2011 release.

This is good indeed.. Some of the tunes are a little bland IMO, but there are three or four excellent ones.. "Paul and Jon" is brilliant..

I've really been getting into this classic 60's sounding country lately.. It's what country would still sound like today if it weren't for pseudo-country pop stars like Keith Urban etc. that are basically playing 70's rock.. Bad 70's rock that is...

don't know if you know it, but Romano and Steve Lambke (Baby Eagle, the Constantines) have their own record label to release all this stuff. ie the above is YC-10 as in the tenth release from You've Changed records. I don't have all of it, but the last Baby Eagle and the first Daniel (romano), Fred (squire) and Julie (doiron) albums are outstanding and in that same old country/folk tradition.

http://youvechangedrecords.com/

danielfredandjulie.jpg

What's nice is that the Vinyl versions of all of these have that hefty and plain feel to them, like you're picking up a George Jones record from 1967. Everything is very basic with a heavy record pressing, white sleeves with hardly any liner notes.

I've got Shotgun Jimmie, another of the YC artists in for an opener this weekend and very much looking forward to hearing him.

que? they've been pretty badass the 5-6x i've seen them

I first saw them when they were touring for Return To Cookie Mountain. The sound was just this awful bland grunge sound similar to the dismal sound they had at SNL (which they claim is their regular sound, and nothing was wrong). The only things that stood out from that concert was Young Liars, Wolf Like Me, and Staring At The Sun. They're playing at the same venue, sadly, and I do really want to give them another try live. I just hope the mix isn't horrible and that they don't sound like some awful grunge band again.

I think they suffer from some of the weird studio sickness that Spoon suffers from when they play stuff like The Underdog or Cherry Bomb without the horns. It just sounds wrong.

weird... i've seen them in 3 different locations (First Avenue 4x, a tiny 300 capacity club for the first album, and at Lolla) and they sounded pretty great at both.

i agree they sounded really weird on SNL tho