Dave Matthews Band Caravan

As a guy that dislikes Dave Matthews and is not a fan of a festival, this looks to be a very interesting one. Emmylou, DBT, Alberta Cross, Sharon Jones, Daniel Lanois, The Jayhawks, Flaming Lips, G-Love. Sounds good.

That, plus Dave plays a full set each night. This would assure me the ability to get home early. Will have to give this some thought.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most intriguing part of this fest is the location; the former Southworks on the now depressed southeast side. For that alone I would go, but certainly not for Dave Mathews himself.

LouieB

I think I'm going to go to the NJ one. Lineup looks pretty good. Hate on DMB all you want, his show in Central Park might be the best show I've ever seen. Their last few studio efforts haven't been very good, but the intensity they bring to the stage is pretty special.

Guest Speed Racer

There are a lot of musicians I don't care for in this world, and that doesn't bother me any. There is probably not any other musician whose fans bother me as much as his, though.

Hey everyone is entitled to like whom they like. i am sure he puts on a fine show, lots of commercial artists do. Had his tour bus not unloaded it's waste on a bunch of tourists here, I wouldn't give a rats ass about the guy. If he wants to pump some money into the local economy, heck it isn't any different than any other fest (we have lots), he is welcome to do it.

How are his fans more obnoxious than lots of other band's fans?

LouieB

Guest Speed Racer

How are his fans more obnoxious than lots of other band's fans?

They are either aspiring frat boys, frat boys, boys who would be in frats if they were in schools that had frats, or frat boys who are no longer in school but still act like the world is their frat house. When the DMB comes on, they either drink, cry, hit each other, play guitar, bbq, or all of the above.

A Google result for "DMB show":

dmb-028.JPG

It looks like they at least have an African-American fan or two. :lol

Considering I have been burned, pushed, leaned up against, yelled at by drunks, doused with water,had to listen to people talk through shows, and encountered plenty of obnoxious fans at Wilco shows, I am not sure Wilco's audience is all that much better in some respects. Just the music is better.

LouieB

I lived in Charlottesville when Dave Matthews was just getting started. In fact, he used to tend bar at Miller's, a bar on the ground floor of the building I lived in. They started gaining a real following when they began a regular Tuesday night gig at a local club and word started to spread. Back then, I enjoyed them and still have a soft spot for the band. Today I wouldn't go out of my way to see them, but I still think they're a solid band of real musicians, and if that festival was conveniently located I'd go in a minute.

To me, their following is much like most jam bands--maybe a little heavier on the frat boy demographic, but not to that noticeable a degree.

There are a lot of musicians I don't care for in this world, and that doesn't bother me any. There is probably not any other musician whose fans bother me as much as his, though.

The summer after my freshman or sophomore year of college, some of my friends from high school dragged me to a DMB show. Within half an hour long before it even got dark out, I was almost peed and puked on by the same completely trashed girl. I moved to the back of the field because I was afraid what she was going to do next. I have no memories of the concert at all except that.

Maddox (Best Page in the Universe) on Dave Matthews

It's the whitest band ever, which is saying something considering 3 of the members are black, and Dave Matthews is literally an African American (born in South Africa). His music can be heard in Whole Foods stores, Live Earth concerts, or blasting from the speakers of open-topped Jeeps parked on curbs everywhere. The typical fan is either some dude wearing khaki cargo shorts replete with dangling rock climbing hooks, even though he doesn't hike because he can't afford to drive his gas-guzzling Jeep, or some chick with huge boobs, buck teeth, and an ankle-length floral skirt that she twirls around like an idiot because she thinks her awesome boobs give her enough social capital to make up for the buck teeth and hairy toes (they don't):

Maddox (Best Page in the Universe) on Dave Matthews

It's the whitest band ever, which is saying something considering 3 of the members are black, and Dave Matthews is literally an African American (born in South Africa). His music can be heard in Whole Foods stores, Live Earth concerts, or blasting from the speakers of open-topped Jeeps parked on curbs everywhere. The typical fan is either some dude wearing khaki cargo shorts replete with dangling rock climbing hooks, even though he doesn't hike because he can't afford to drive his gas-guzzling Jeep, or some chick with huge boobs, buck teeth, and an ankle-length floral skirt that she twirls around like an idiot because she thinks her awesome boobs give her enough social capital to make up for the buck teeth and hairy toes (they don't):

That sounds about right. I can't think of a single band I hate more than Dave Matthews Band. I hate their music, their fans, and everything they stand for.

I lived in Charlottesville when Dave Matthews was just getting started. In fact, he used to tend bar at Miller's, a bar on the ground floor of the building I lived in. They started gaining a real following when they began a regular Tuesday night gig at a local club and word started to spread. Back then, I enjoyed them and still have a soft spot for the band. Today I wouldn't go out of my way to see them, but I still think they're a solid band of real musicians, and if that festival was conveniently located I'd go in a minute.

To me, their following is much like most jam bands--maybe a little heavier on the frat boy demographic, but not to that noticeable a degree.

I started at UVA the year before Under the Table and Dreaming came out. I can still listen to that one, Remember Two Things and Recently, although I really don't listen to DMB very often at all. No question they are a hugely talented group of musicians - I don't know how anyone who has listened to their music can disagree - and I had a great time the couple live shows I saw them play, but I kind of hate how they seem to have to make every song like so epic, man (this is probably an over-generalization). For example, I was in the Houston airport recently for a layover, and as I was sitting there eating my gigantic corn dog (which was awesome, btw), some live version of "Warehouse," which has always been one of my favorite DMB songs, came over the PA. While the song itself was fine, it seemed like it took them forty minutes of false starts and other BS to get there. I got sick of the song before it even started.

And yeah, while I think the average DMB fan is kind of a douchebag, I'm not going to blame the band for that. There are plenty of people who like Wilco that I wouldn't want to hang out with.

What is it that they stand for?

rape.

Best reply to a post in the history of message boards. I honestly laughed out loud. Several times. Bravo!!

Guest Speed Racer

I started at UVA the year before Under the Table and Dreaming came out. I can still listen to that one, Remember Two Things and Recently, although I really don't listen to DMB very often at all. No question they are a hugely talented group of musicians - I don't know how anyone who has listened to their music can disagree - and I had a great time the couple live shows I saw them play, but I kind of hate how they seem to have to make every song like so epic, man (this is probably an over-generalization). For example, I was in the Houston airport recently for a layover, and as I was sitting there eating my gigantic corn dog (which was awesome, btw), some live version of "Warehouse," which has always been one of my favorite DMB songs, came over the PA. While the song itself was fine, it seemed like it took them forty minutes of false starts and other BS to get there. I got sick of the song before it even started.

I can't even hear myself in airports.