Dave Matthews Band Caravan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been pretty lucky with all of my Wilco concerts that I've been to. No incidents or any talking during a show that was distracting enough to remember here and now to print it here for a story.

The worst couple of experiences that I've had were coincidentally at the same venue in Boston at the Boston University arena (Agganis). I went to go see Duran Duran there in 2008 and I was late because of a T accident that held up my train. When I finally made it to my seat on the floor, these Real Housewives of Boston were after me to leave. They shouted obscenities at me and kept saying that that wasn't my seat. Even though you could clearly tell that I had the aisle seat where no one was in front of. The final straw was them threatening to get the police if I didn't leave and I just said to myself fuck it I'm not going to put up with this all night. So I left and watched the show from the concession area. I don't know what their problem was, but I assume they wanted an extra space to dance around or whatever. I did nothing. I only arrived to my seat and within 2 seconds they went berserk. These were not college students. We're talking about 40 year old women with beers in their hands.

Then the other bad experience was seeing the Pixies at the same venue and being in the front row of the 2nd partition. By the 4th song this young couple came over and stood right in front of me and for whatever reason the girl was almost stepping on my toes. Her head was at my chin and my you know what was literally at her butt. For anyone else this would be a problem for all involved, but it was clear that they wanted to upgrade their seats illegally and look like they were in the front row. I tried tapping her shoulder to tell her that I wanted some space and that she obviously was in the wrong section, but she didn't want to turn around. I couldn't breathe out without touching her, so I finally blew on the back of her head to get her attention. She swung around immediately and threw her Aquafina all over my glasses and shirt. (so LouieB I know the feeling) For whatever reason a guard came by at that moment and she immediately tried to make me look like the bad guy and he was quick to throw me out, but I had to tell him to check their tickets and then he threw them out for good. My friend that I was with gave me the "our type of luck" face and we just had to focus on the show.

As far as creepy fans go, I could list off a whole bunch of U2 fans that I've met in GA lines or other places. Wow! There's still some folks out there who treat that band and Bono in particular like they're holier than thou. There's a certain naivete there that can be only explained by them only liking U2 and nothing else in the world.

Oh! I was about 4 feet away from a Ryan Adams heckler at one of his shows in Boston about 5 years ago. The most annoying person ever at a show that I've attended. Finally, either Ryan or someone lead the chant to kick him out. In a few seconds the Avalon security came over and grabbed him and of course like they always do the guy screamed about them abusing his rights and that he'd sue the club or whatever nonsense. That incident drew more applause than any song that Ryan played that night.

It's strange that the shows that I expect an altercation nothing has ever happened. I saw the Wu-Tang Clan in the biggest shit hole in Worcester, MA and nothing happened at all. Or rather I was sitting in a lucky place.

Let me say it was one of the best shows I ever saw Wilco put on and I have seen alot. It was also the furthest I ever went for a Wilco show.It was generally a good time, but it was cold that night and we stood outside waiting for the band to maybe come out and that water on me sure was cold. Could it have been six years ago? Maybe. Rosehill Drive opened (and drove folks out of the auditorium) and it was at the end of a great trip I took with a friend. it probably wasn't you guys. I am fine with drunks as long they behave themselves.

Definitely the same concert because I agree that it was one of the best shows that I ever saw Wilco put on and I have seen alot and Rosehill Drive opened. Definitely not me and/or my pal that threw water on you because after the show we didn't wait around outside for the band. We went back to Barley's Tap Room. Whew! That's a relief.

And for the record, I am not a drunk by a long shot. I just happened to be drunk.

Wendy shot me a dirty look at the Wilco concert in Indy a couple years ago when I let out a "SING US A SONG, JOHN" at a quiet moment between songs. She'll deny it, btw.

It seems like DMB gets a lot of hate around here, considering that they've made a lot of really good music over the years. I haven't seem them live so I don't know how horrific the crowds are. I'd go if they were close (and not at a festival). But Under the Table and Crowded Streets are a couple of really good records.

Definitely the same concert because I agree that it was one of the best shows that I ever saw Wilco put on and I have seen alot and Rosehill Drive opened. Definitely not me and/or my pal that threw water on you because after the show we didn't wait around outside for the band. We went back to Barley's Tap Room. Whew! That's a relief.

And for the record, I am not a drunk by a long shot. I just happened to be drunk.

You ain't off the hook yet!!! They threw water on me IN the show and my jacket was still wet after the show, waiting out in the cold.... :lol Clearly I am kidding. But yes, it was a fabulous show. It taught me that leaving Chicago to see Wilco was a great thing. Also the Wolfe auditorium and downtown Ashville are both very very cool. Great time, except for that. Met up with a bunch of folks I have never met before too.

The worst I can say about DMB is that they are inoffensive. Kind of like Ben Harper or Coldplay. Actually in a world where there is alot of crap on the radio, these folks are actually trying to be good. They may not be who I want to go SEE, but they aren't bad.

LouieB

I'd actually like to take his music to task. The fanbase could be full of the coolest people in the world and I would still hate all of his albums. I had plenty of exposure to his catalog in high school.  I don't particularly like Jimmy Buffet, John Denver, Kenny G or third string jam bands. I really don't like the sound all of them blended together.

They are either aspiring frat boys, frat boys, boys who would be in frats if they were in schools that had frats, or frat boys who are no longer in school but still act like the world is their frat house. When the DMB comes on, they either drink, cry, hit each other, play guitar, bbq, or all of the above.

A Google result for "DMB show":

dmb-028.JPG

"yeah! Hootie! Dude, do you have the weed from your buddy? Nah man, we didn't have enough money after getting the kegger. (girls walk by at this point; one of the guys nods at the girls while the other two oggle the girls, who completely ignore the guys) wassup? (the guys try to compensate for the fact they are ignored by changing subjects) So bro, you going to the Biscuits show next month? Nah man, I spent the last of my money on phish tickets. So just ask your folks for some cash. Won't do, they're still paying on that window I busted in my apartment last semester. You told them it wasn't your fault, that you just needed to celebrate getting a D- on your remedial math test right? Ahh, but they won't listen. (awkard silence follows; one of the guys holds up his beer bottle). Yeahhhh, party!!! (the other guys follow suit)"

Wendy shot me a dirty look at the Wilco concert in Indy a couple years ago when I let out a "SING US A SONG, JOHN" at a quiet moment between songs. She'll deny it, btw.

Half of it's you, half is me.

:bee