• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to lecture, but election season has amplified the conversation significantly. There are a lot of people around me who are yelling quite passionately about how little they care. The irony seems to escape them.

yep......

-Robert

Every nation crumbles... eventually. In the mean time, the decisions the people of a democracy make effect the lives of everyone in the country and in the case of a super power like the U.S. other people around the world. From another solar system this is all irrelevant, but for me right now, the level of aggression in our foreign policy and the support for social services is extremely relevant. For this reason I participate in our democracy by having discussions and voting in a manner that I calculate will have the best cost/benefit ratio.

I don't mean to lecture, but election season has amplified the conversation significantly. There are a lot of people around me who are yelling quite passionately about how little they care. The irony seems to escape them.

do you mind if i ask where you come down on the candidates for president??

do you mind if i ask where you come down on the candidates for president??

Obama represents the most viable candidate who has some restraint in regards to the military and also seems to have some ambition for this country collectively building its infrastructure (energy, transportation, health care etc.) I'm cynical enough to know that he's either willfuly or reluctantly allowed certain influences to eclipse his once pure ideals, but I still believe that he is a man of principal. He picks his battles.

Obama represents the most viable candidate who has some restraint in regards to the military and also seems to have some ambition for this country collectively building its infrastructure (energy, transportation, health care etc.) I'm cynical enough to know that he's either willfuly or reluctantly allowed certain influences to eclipse his once pure ideals, but I still believe that he is a man of principal. He picks his battles.

I think you summed up how many feel about Obama.

yeah lost highway. i would extend that to the democratic party as a whole but yeah thats pretty spot on.

in super proud of him and what hes accomplished. he cant just do what he wants you know. i dont think people realize he has to compromise with 100 million people of an opposite mindset

There are some super upsetting things that "the government" is doing which gets put at Obama's feet because he is the presient. The Frontline on ICE the other night discussed some pretty distrurbing things about deportations. But I believe Obama does want comprehensive immigration reform and Congress just ain't going there. So we plod on and break up families and do crazy stuff in the name of controlling illegial immigration. Rommney has already said he is going to be hard on the undocumented and probably isn't going to do anything about this if he could. I think Obama would if he could. So the beat goes on....

LouieB

Four more years!!! Four more years!!! He didn't really mean to sign it...

'End of Free Speech' Signed by Obama

I don't know why I bother, but you do realize that HR 347 was just an extension of current law, which passed the House 399-3 -- right?

But yes, Obama is singlehandedly destroying free speech. omfg!!!!

sparky did you come up with that libertarian country yet??

what do libertarians think of things like sidewalks and streetlamps??

I would even settle for a concrete example of where deregulation has over benefited the American people. There are some I am sure, but I wonder if Sparky actually reads anything anyone else posts?

HELLS YES LouisB

I think Im a radical leftist on immigration. I think we should let everyone in.

I think the more the better and the stronger the economy would be and what did we found this nation for anyway??

Few people share your view, to say the least. When it comes to immigration, people freak out. Needless to say, without a healthy dose of new immigrants, both legal and undocumented, a heck of alot of work would not get done in this country. Also few people can withstand the test of never having employed an undocumented worker. Maybe not directly, but there are sure plenty who do the work for us in all areas. (You had best not have your grass cut, your house painted, eat in a restaurant, take your clothes to be cleaned, etc.)

Meanwhile a president who is not tough on the undocumented is unlikely to get elected, sad to say. (In the same way that a president who doesn't want to kick some international ass is not going to be elected either.)

LouieB

i can name you 10 things that were deregulated ending in disaster.

why cant we debate like normal folks on the wilco site?? it always seems to turn into a "im smarter than you" pissing match

Been on the internet long? It's the nature of the beast.

Yes. Without question.

I have come to the option that we are two very different people and will never come to a consensus on any political matter. I think that neither of us will change the others mind.

Unfortunately, we both keep trying.

Been on the internet long? It's the nature of the beast.

The internet is one of the causes of our current state of political discourse. We sit in our offices, homes and whatnot, typing whatever we feel, with little or no regards to the person on the other end.

Would we have these pissing matches, if we were at a party? Or with someone we met at work? Probably not, the face to face meeting tends to give an air of civility.

Would we destroy someone's argument solely based upon a misspelled word or incorrect punctuation?

Would Rush Limbaugh call Sandra Fluke a slut and a prostitute to her face?

The internet has dehumanized people we argue with.

I try to live by (but at times I do fail), the rule I have for my children on the internet. If you won't say it to someone's face then don't write it on the internet.

its just like the difference between DC and Richmond.

living in DC thats all we talked about 24/7 basically. everyone was a fed in one way or the other. had great friends that worked for clinton then bush then obama and on both sides of the aisle in congress and for lobbyists and non profits. it was never personal and noone ever got mad. thats the thing people outside of the beltway dont get. in DC its all friendly as hell really. its a small town and noone would ever let their politics get in the way of making a friend. you just couldnt.

now down 95 about 90 miles and it couldnt be more different. in the city its great and really beautiful but out in the suburbs its as red as you can get. if you bring up politics at a party or dinner its like you dropped a shit bomb. people like shut down and their faces turn red and shit. its insane.

its like you brought up their religion or something. they take it very personally.

either way on facebook we chat endlessly about politics but on here people seem to get pissed pretty easy including me. not sure why.

i can name you 10 things that were deregulated ending in disaster.

why cant we debate like normal folks on the wilco site?? it always seems to turn into a "im smarter than you" pissing match

I'm sure there are some things that have not turned out as well as intended with deregulation. You take the good with the bad with a lot of these decisions. Then again, it's hard to argue which is better because there is seldom a control group to look at. External forces play a part in all these things.