I'm starting to wonder why we even bother to elect Congressmen. Or why we concern ourselves with whether an elected official swears to uphold the Constitution. Why make laws and have a process for their passage if they can just be ignored by the whims of one man?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to wonder why we even bother to elect Congressmen. Or why we concern ourselves with whether an elected official swears to uphold the Constitution. Why make laws and have a process for their passage if they can just be ignored by the whims of one man?

So back in 2009 or so they tried to pass something called the DREAM Act. This actually was set to pass the Senate, but it was block via filibuster by a handful of Republican senators. The same thing you said about one man, could be said about those republican senators. Or really in in politics in general. The political process is messy crude and nasty. People will get and use power to suit their needs. It sucks, but it happens.

It is not like this does not have precedent. Every "modern" president has selectively enforced immigration policy.

I am glad finally Obama is saying f you guys, I am gonna do what I want. And yes, when W did something like this (which he did frequently) I was first in line to say that guy is abusing power. But my guy is power now there.

So back in 2009 or so they tried to pass something called the DREAM Act. This actually was set to pass the Senate, but it was block via filibuster by a handful of Republican senators. The same thing you said about one man, could be said about those republican senators. Or really in in politics in general. The political process is messy crude and nasty. People will get and use power to suit their needs. It sucks, but it happens.

It is not like this does not have precedent. Every "modern" president has selectively enforced immigration policy.

I am glad finally Obama is saying f you guys, I am gonna do what I want. And yes, when W did something like this (which he did frequently) I was first in line to say that guy is abusing power. But my guy is power now there.

Thanks for the history lesson. It might be helpful to not think you're always smarter than everyone else.

Your last paragraph is alarming.

Thanks for the history lesson. It might be helpful to not think you're always smarter than everyone else.

Well being the smartest guy in the room has its pitfalls. :stunned

Bleed, I am sorry if you took my tone as condescending, I didn't mean to do that. I was merely trying to point out that in the past this has been attempted and been blocked via filibuster.

I am so sick and tired of people not looking at was done in the past, so I am resigned to the fact they hey the only way to get shit done in this country is to bypass the normal means of legislation. So I am to the point where I say fuck it, the country is broken beyond repair, the two sides will never agree on anything, let alone get any meaningful law passed. In order to get anything done we need to use these back door methods. It is unfortunate. I have no faith in our political process to actually help anyone anymore.

How is use of executive privilege in this case unconstitutional?

Alarming...but fairly commonplace.

Well being the smartest guy in the room has its pitfalls. :stunned

Bleed, I am sorry if you took my tone as condescending, I didn't mean to do that. I was merely trying to point out that in the past this has been attempted and been blocked via filibuster.

I am so sick and tired of people not looking at was done in the past, so I am resigned to the fact they hey the only way to get shit done in this country is to bypass the normal means of legislation. So I am to the point where I say fuck it, the country is broken beyond repair, the two sides will never agree on anything, let alone get any meaningful law passed. In order to get anything done we need to use these back door methods. It is unfortunate. I have no faith in our political process to actually help anyone anymore.

All hail the imperial Presidency.

I'm not going to break Godwin's law, but these opinions are, at best, troubling.

So let's all agree that we need to abolish (or significantly redefine & weaken) the Senate filibuster rules so we can get out of the situation we're currently in where all legislation & all appointments require an often impossible 60 votes in the Senate to pass. That was never the intent for how the filibuster was to be used.

The DREAM act passed the House fairly easily and had 55 votes in the Senate. It should be the law of the land today.

Is the DREAM act not a reward for entering into this country illegally? Kinda seems like it.

Not to me. First of all, it would have only applied to people who were kids (under 16) when their parents brought them into the country illegally. And it would only apply to people who've been here at least 5 years, graduated high school, gone to college or served in the military, and had a clean criminal record.

It's not a reward -- it's saying if you were brought here as a kid and have been a good citizen in every other way since then, we're not going to punish you for the actions of your parents. Unless you consider the absence of an unearned punishment a reward.

How is use of executive privilege in this case unconstitutional?

You're mixing up issues. Obama has simply decided not to enforce the law on this particular issue of illegal immigrants. Personally, I like the DREAM Act. However, it is not the law of the land. And Obama has merely decided that he thinks it's best to ignore this particular law and circumvent Congress by not enforcing it. I think that's dangerous and unconstitutional regardless of the fact that I agree with him.

And Obama has merely decided that he thinks it's best to ignore this particular law and circumvent Congress by not enforcing it.

How is that different from law enforcement agencies not enforcing those stupid laws on the books? (you really want to see some dumb laws go here); Obama is prioritizing enforcement (and in essence saving taxpayer money). It is not like he is saying immigration officers won't arrest illegal immigrants. He saying if you where brought to this country (when you where 15 or less) by you parents, and you are a good person (no crimes, etc.), they won't arrest and deport you.

And yes I think deporting individuals who are covered by this change in policy is a dumb law (or portion of a law).

I wish! Then I would have had a lot of help going to college! But I see where you're going with this and sorry....it's just not reality.

whats not reality?? my forefathers came over in the 1600s. there were no laws. you got off a boat. there has been discrimination against immigrants since the founding of the nation. now that the immigrants are dark skinned its time to make some laws.

ive yet to EVER hear ONE conservative tell me any decent answer to health care or immigration. And thats in DC with friends that worked all over the Hill