• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I guess being responsible for yourself or wanting the freedom of choice is a strange concept of freedom. I guess I know what Sparky means now. The only thing I can think of to make you understand...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

— Benjamin Franklin

Wildly irrelevant quote, but whatever.

You're pretending that the Danes have somehow sacrificed "freedom of choice." If you actually ask Danes about this, they won't know what the hell you're talking about.

Their society works. Ours doesn't. If you prefer ours, that's your right. Personally, I'd prefer to make ours a lot more like theirs.

Actually I think we should go back to the time when there was no health insurance. (There was a time!!) That way ikol can trade his services for whatever meger funds or other types of barter he can get for treating his patients. In those days doctors weren't so rich. They were esteemed, but not wealthy. Sometimes they didn't get paid at all or people died because they didn't have money. Yea, that was the good old days.

I find it humorous that the very folks who make out like bandits under this system are the first to criticize it. Tom Lehrer had a great line about treating diseases of the rich.

LouieB

Actually I think we should go back to the time when there was no health insurance. (There was a time!!) That way ikol can trade his services for whatever meger funds or other types of barter he can get for treating his patients. In those days doctors weren't so rich. They were esteemed, but not wealthy. Sometimes they didn't get paid at all or people died because they didn't have money. Yea, that was the good old days.

I find it humorous that the very folks who make out like bandits under this system are the first to criticize it. Tom Lehrer had a great line about treating diseases of the rich.

LouieB

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to hate as many types of people as you do. Then I realize it's just not worth it.

Guest Speed Racer

:lol

All ikol said was he didn't expect medicare payouts (which he shouldn't), cracked a joke about not wanting to die, now he's a thieving, scheming meger-fund taker.

Oh please. I don't hate anyone. that's just silly. Just pointing out that some folks are totally freaked out by the way the system works, even when it works for them. Even the hysteria over the systems being so broken they won't be there in the future is totally hysterical (in more ways then one.) We may have to tax everyone more for what they get, but these systems aren't going away any time soon. (Higher premiums are jsut a form of private taxation, which I think is the point about Denmark.)

But the fact remains, the medical system has and continues to prosper BECAUSE of health insurance, not in spite of it. When ikol finally gets to be a doctor I doubt he is going to turn down any insurance money, be it public or private.I was just saying, maybe he can trade his services for dead chickens and the like.

LouieB

Oh please. I don't hate anyone. that's just silly. Just pointing out that some folks are totally freaked out by the way the system works, even when it works for them. Even the hysteria over the systems being so broken they won't be there in the future is totally hysterical (in more ways then one.) We may have to tax everyone more for what they get, but these systems aren't going away any time soon. (Higher premiums are jsut a form of private taxation, which I think is the point about Denmark.)

But the fact remains, the medical system has and continues to prosper BECAUSE of health insurance, not in spite of it. When ikol finally gets to be a doctor I doubt he is going to turn down any insurance money, be it public or private.I was just saying, maybe he can trade his services for dead chickens and the like.

LouieB

Maybe hate was too strong a word. I'll go with contempt.

Contempt? That is pretty strong too. All I see here is how horrible and broken the government is. Yea, in some ways it is, but most ways we get quite alot from the government considering. Could it be better. Oh yea, lots better. Could we have better systems as Cryptique keeps pointing out? For sure. But the MINUTE something fucks up, we are all over whatever government or government agency we think is responsible, but we really don't want to pay for it. Trust me I am the same as everyone else and I WORK for the government.

Meanwhile most folks here are too young to even conceive that there will be anything left when they get up in years. I felt the same way 40 years ago and guess what? I am on the brink of collecting and I very well may. I know people who do. It IS going to be there, because old people vote, no matter left or right and they expect to collect social security and have some sort of basic health insurance. The one thing Congress is NOT going to let happen (despite all the teabagger bullshit) is let these programs lapse. You can tell me I am wrong in 30 or 40 years, but frankly I ain't gonna be around for you to tell me I was wrong. Right now is is all idle and hysterical speculation. I have agreed repeatedly with the one guy you think I "hate" that these programs have to be restructured. They do, clearly. ikol is correct. But they ain't going away and they are probably NOT going to privatized. In reality they are already heavily privatized. Medicare and medicaid payments are made to private providers, which is my point. Doctors love these programs. They love the new law. Everyone is winning. Are their problems? Of course there are. There are always problems with EVERYTHING! Always and forever!! There are problems with "socialized" medicine, there are problems with private medicine, there are lots of problems with a system like ours that is both; there is fraud and decite. No fucking shit!!! All the while the medical providers take the money.

None of this is contempt, it is hard cold clammy reality, which can't be quantified or easily fit into some model. Try and justify it. You simply can't.

LouieB

Guest Speed Racer

No fucking shit!!! All the while the medical providers take the money.

None of this is contempt, it is hard cold clammy reality, which can't be quantified or easily fit into some model. Try and justify it. You simply can't.

Jeepers, if that ain't contempt, I'd love to see what is.

Reality isn't hard, cold and clammy, reality just is. Your reaction to reality is hard, cold and clammy or, as others might characterize it, contemptuous.

The world isn't going to fall apart at the seams. Or it might. All I can do is what I can do, and I try not to worry about what it is that I can't do about it.

Most people need to have their own set of scapegoats, I guess.

I usually just blame everything on teachers. Works for me.

LouieB

I think just going back to a system where the recipient of a service pays something, regardless of how little, would be a good start.

• 1 month later...

november0620091.jpg

I hear she is vetting this guy for her running mate

repmiketurner.gif

Let's see who is the first to figure this out