• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rep. Mike Turner (R-OH).

Right clicking on an image works wonders.

BACHMANN TURNER OVERDRIVE '12!!!

You+Ain%27t+Seen+Nothing+Yet.jpg

If I was really engaged with life, I would be photoshopping like a mofo right about now...

BACHMANN TURNER OVERDRIVE '12!!!

You+Ain%27t+Seen+Nothing+Yet.jpg

If I was really engaged with life, I would be photoshopping like a mofo right about now...

Nice work, if you would have put "Guess who" in the clue I might have figured it out. It's perfect. "You ain't seen nothing yet" or "Taking care of business" both work as a slogan.

Just got back from directing an interview show with Senator Rick Santorum in Londonderry, NH (home of Giants' Brian Wilson). I never met the woman who interviewed him, but she's a real right wing blogger out of the state. The whole thing was pretty much a puff piece with no questions about Bin Laden and Republicans trying to put their hands into funding for Public Television. Everything was asked to get a response to take a crap on Obama. Although, with the other 6 Republican candidates in the state he seems to be the only one to have sat down with her.

• 4 months later...

So anyway...

Here's my take on the Cain situation. He's completely mishandled this.

I understand that before Politico broke the sexual harrassment story, they gave Cain ten days forewarning that they were going to publish it. So, if that's true, he wasn't blindsided, and he should have been better prepared to handle it.

I think his whole problem could have been averted if he simply said this: "Yes, I'm aware that there were two sexual harrassment complaints filed against me in the past. At the time, under advice of counsel, we believed that neither case had merit, but did not want to spend money pursuing costly litigation, so we made a business decision to settle out of court for less than what we had expected litigation costs to be. Both parties to the complaints (myself and the complainants) agreed to non-disclosure of the details of the matter, and I intend to honor that agreement."

Cain is a joke and was before this whole debacle. His campaign is based on "clever" marketing gimmicks. 9-9-9? Gee, it's easy to remember, so it must be right! He also said he wouldn't propose (or sign, can't remember) any bills passed by Congress more than 3 pages long. He's a loon. The damn Godfathers menu is more than 3 pages.

I voted for Obama in 2008 after voting mostly for Republicans. Why? Voting for a candidate who has a history with cancer and Sarah Palin as his VP literally scared the shit out of me. I think Obama's mostly a disaster, mostly because of his own actions but also a Republican congress that has no interest in doing any serious work.

If Romney gets nominated, I'd probably vote for him. I'd love to see Huntsman go somewhere, but he's not nearly conservative enough for the theocratic wing of the Republican party. Other than that or some other viable 3rd party, I'll probably hold my nose and vote Obama again.

Voting for a candidate who has a history with cancer and Sarah Palin as his VP literally scared the shit out of me.

So you were so frightened of the prospect of having Sarah Palin one arrhythmia away from the presidency of the united states that you evacuated your bowels?

From the idiocy of his 9-9-9 plan, to his mishandling of the harassment allegations, to the weird online ads, to randomly saying dumb stuff like this -- I'm convinced; he really doesn't want the GOP nomination. Seems like he's been doing everything in his power lately as if to say "no, really, I was just running to boost my speaker fees and get a better book deal -- I never thought you guys would take me seriously!"

Yet he's still leading in most polls. The anti-romney faction of the GOP sure is willing to cut off their noses here.

All the Cain allegations were only that, correct? Allegations? Nothing was ever proven? I saw one of these women interviewed last night and she seemed like a whack job trouble-maker.

All the Cain allegations were only that, correct? Allegations? Nothing was ever proven? I saw one of these women interviewed last night and she seemed like a whack job trouble-maker.

Even Cain's wife says it doesn't sound like him!

• 2 months later...

After having been on VC through the two previous elections I don't want to be here for a third. Between the Obama haters on the right, the Obama disappontment crew on the left, and everyone in between it is going to be a nasty ass election season.

LouieB

After having been on VC through the two previous elections I don't want to be here for a third. Between the Obama haters on the right, the Obama disappontment crew on the left, and everyone in between it is going to be a nasty ass election season.

LouieB

agreed. it will be long and brutal no matter how magic your underwear appears to be.

political discussion on non-political places such as VC are as close as we can get to authentic discussion & debate on the internet these days. everywhere that specializes in political talk (politico, huffpost, etc.) is full of hyper-partisan robots where everyone is shouting at each other & very few people offer reasoned, thoughful comments.

LouieB

I wasn't around here in '04, but this place is nothing like it was 4 yrs ago -- for the worse, imo.

yeah, things got heated at times, but for the most part I thought the discussion was reasonable.

I never thought the discussion on the '08 race was unreasonable. Unless you count LouieB's contributions to the political threads. ;)

I certainly recall having constructive disagreements with some people here, you included, bleedorange. The problem with online political discourse isn't passion, it's a lack of sophistication--which explains the widespread lack of civility. As I always say, the key difference between people is not conservative vs. liberal, Republican vs. Democrat. The real difference is serious vs. unserious. We can have a civil, constructive debate with serious opponents, but it's fruitless to engage with the unserious (left or right). Facts will never interfere with the propaganda cartoons running in their heads. It's best to ignore them and move on to more productive settings. (The unfortunate thing is that unserious people have completely overwhelmed our political discourse.)

in general terms, i do not believe the unserious people present the biggest challenge to productive disagreement on political issues (although that may be the main issue here).

i think uninformed people most prevent productive dialogue on political issues. the necessity of appealing to the (largely uninformed) masses has precluded honest debate on complex issues that do not have a right and wrong side and require compromise (imho).