Goodbye Wilco

How much did they pay to stare at the back of your shirt, out of curiosity?

The same he paid to stand. I am suprised by the reaction to this comment. I thought people would suggest that this person not let the minority ruin an otherwise good experience, and that he should move to another area of the venue. Sitting seems apropriate for an acoustic show, and sometimes I sit during slower numbers. But really? Standing and sitting should be each ticket holders choice (within reason.) For those about to sit, I salute you. It is a rock show nevertheless.....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

The same he paid to stand.

Exactly. So why should they pay to stare at his shirt when all of them could be watching Wilco?

Standing and sitting should be each ticket holders choice (within reason.)

What reason is better than "hey, the people behind me can't see the band they paid good money to see"?

You forgot: when people behind you cannot see because you are standing, sit.

What if the people in front of you are standing? It's not like you're blocking their ears.

It's a rock concert. It's Wilco. Not the Turtle Island String Quartet.

Guest Speed Racer

What if the people in front of you are standing? It's not like you're blocking their ears.

It's a rock concert. It's Wilco. Not the Turtle Island String Quartet.

I think the "When in Rome" rule applies. If you're sitting in a mostly standing section, tough cookies. If you're one of four or five people standing in your second and people behind you are complaining, sit down.

Exactly. So why should they pay to stare at his shirt when all of them could be watching Wilco?

What reason is better than "hey, the people behind me can't see the band they paid good money to see"?

Sounds like it is time to stay home and watch the Pay-Per-View concerts.

Guest Speed Racer

Sounds like it is time to stay home and watch the Pay-Per-View concerts.

Sounds good. Stand all you want in the comfort of your home.

Eureka!!!! I got it.

Pampas = pampers. As if to say all Wilco fans are old and need changing.

I first thought it was pampered. Like Tweedy was pampering them by not condemning them to sit while he mercilessly rocked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVcD5NoNoFM

Who can help out rewriting this song for this unique "possibly fake" situation?

As somebody who is 5' 7", I am looking forward to my first seated Wilco show on Saturday night. Likewise, as somebody who is 5' 7", I am prepared to stare at the back of some guy's neck on Sunday night.....

Sounds good. Stand all you want in the comfort of your home.

I'm printing up some t-shirts for the next concert Wilco plays in Chicago. Hopefully by 2012.

Front: Some Wilco Logo

Back: Sorry Laminated Nap!

Guest Speed Racer

I'm printing up some t-shirts for the next concert Wilco plays in Chicago. Hopefully by 2012.

Front: Some Wilco Logo

Back: Sorry Laminated Nap!

Probably won't see it, as I'll be a couple hundred miles away. Sorry!

Every show I have ever been to, there is room to move around. Sometimes I want to stand so I move, and sometimes I want to sit so I move around. I would be curious to know if he was the only person standing in the whole place. I doubt it. And to play devil's advocate, why can't the squaters say "hey, this guy paid good money just like myself. I shouldn't throw things at him." To be honest this is a pointless debate. There is room for everyone, and I don't think that people should get upset. I do think it is selfish on both sides for someone to dictate another's concert. Don't like where you are (sitters and standers) look around and find where you belong. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think what I suggest is that unreasonable.

Guest Speed Racer

I don't think what I suggest is that unreasonable.

I don't think so either, but a lot of folks have trouble with ushers at venues telling them that what their ticket says is where they belong.

There are more than a few anecdotes on VC where a stander was the tallest cactus in an otherwise bare desert, and still clung to the "I have the right to MY concert experience!"

Simple fact is that when you buy one of several thousand tickets to a show, you don't own the whole damned thing.

Probably won't see it, as I'll be a couple hundred miles away. Sorry!

But you represent every curmudgeonly concert goer who sits down even while Wilco is inviting people to stand up and dance.

Guest Speed Racer

But you represent every curmudgeonly concert goer who sits down even while Wilco is inviting people to stand up and dance.

Now that would be like saying you represent every illiterate American, now wouldn't it?

I think the "When in Rome" rule applies. If you're sitting in a mostly standing section, tough cookies. If you're one of four or five people standing in your second and people behind you are complaining, sit down.

Well, part of the debate is how much you value seeing the band. Personally, I go to live concerts to hear the band and participate fully in the show. For me, dancing is the way I fully participate. Seeing the band is a bonus for me, but obviously, for others, seeing the band is just as or more important than hearing them.

I agree strongly with the original poster (except for the part about giving up on going to see a band you love because of some hostile fans). Rock shows are for rocking out. Fans who choose to sit are free to do so. They do not have the right to expect others to also sit just so they can see. What makes the desires of those who choose to sit more important than those who choose to rock out? If its so important for you to see the band and you have to stand up to see, then you have to make a choice to sit or to see. I think its completely arrogant to expect other people to not have fun in a safe and harmless way just for your own convenience.

The same thing happened to me at a Who concert in the early 2000s, for chrissakes! Unbelievable to me that people want to sit down at a Who concert, but each to his own. Just don't ask me to sit down. To throw things and threaten to beat people up after the show for dancing is troglodyte behavior, IMO.

My first Grateful Dead show was a revelation in more ways than one, but one of the most impressive things that day was seeing an entire section of a stadium sitting down during a mellow song with one lone dancer doing his thing in that section and not one person asked him to sit down. The Deadhead ethos is do what you will as long as you are not hurting anyone else. IMO, that is how it should be at a rock show. I don't subscribe to the notion that if the majority of the people want to sit, everyone should sit. I'm not a sheep and this idea that people should do what everyone else is doing is repulsive to me.

I don't think so either, but a lot of folks have trouble with ushers at venues telling them that what their ticket says is where they belong.

Simple fact is that when you buy one of several thousand tickets to a show, you don't own the whole damned thing.

To your first point above: That sucks. I have never had that problem at a Wilco show. At Dylan and Neil shows I have though...

To your second point above: This is exactly what I'm saying. We agree. :thumbup

To throw things and threaten to beat people up after the show for dancing is troglodyte behavior, IMO.

Are you using this word with the Caveman meaning or Hermits or those humanoid monsters from Dungeons & Dragons? I guess all 3 can apply here.

Guest Speed Racer

To your second point above: This is exactly what I'm saying. We agree. :thumbup

Exactly. I'm not against standing, I'm against going out of your way to ruin someone else's concert experience just because you bought a ticket. The people shouldn't have thrown stuff at OP; if you don't like what a fellow concert-goer is doing, grab an usher. If you can move, move.

Rock shows might be for rocking out, but like LouieB said, whether Wilco constitutes a rock show these days is pretty debatable.