Goodbye Wilco

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does "sit or stand" concert logic apply to really tall people as well?

139967_f260.jpg

This guy towers over Superman. I think if he were to buy a ticket to Wilco, he should be forced to sit all the way in the back.

Concurrently, fans over the world should create a "slush" fund for his pair of prescription glasses from having shitty concert/film seats his whole life.

Food for thought.

Edit: Also, if that is a picture of Sergio I can understand Alabamans throwing items at him.

Guest Speed Racer

Laminated Nap, you do realize I'm just playing with you, right?

My user name is Laminated Nap. This isn't the kind of place where people come to do anything but.

Just to set the record straight, First Avenue Wilco > Orpheum Wilco.

Guest Speed Racer

Just to set the record straight, First Avenue Wilco > Orpheum Wilco.

The record was in no way crooked. The Orpheum shows were pretty - well, no good adjective.

Pretty "sitting"?

I agree, I miss the days of standing through Wilco shows. I am getting older myself but I still enjoy being on my feet and rocking out to Wilco. The new theatre settings have forced me to attend less Wilco shows than normal. Everyone has their preferences and mine is to enjoy myself at shows. I can sit down and watch a movie, I prefer to stand and rock at concerts!

ah, the age-old question of sitting and standing.

when the music rocks, stand.

when it's quiet and introspective, sit.

Setlist from Wilco's Feb. '08 show in Upper Darby, Pa. (Philly), of which I was in attendence:

1. Sunken Treasure   

2. Remember The Mountain Bed   

3. Airline To Heaven   

4. Hesitating Beauty   

5. Muzzle Of Bees   

6. You Are My Face   

7. Side With The Seeds   

8. A Shot In The Arm   

9. She's A Jar   

10. Kamera   

11. Handshake Drugs   

12. At Least That's What You Said   

13. Pot Kettle Black   

14. Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)   

15. Via Chicago   

16. Impossible Germany   

17. Jesus, Etc.   

18. Walken   

19. I'm The Man Who Loves You   

20. Hummingbird   

21. On And On And On   

Set 2:

22. Hate It Here   

23. Red-Eyed And Blue   

24. I Got You (At The End Of The Century)   

25. Hoodoo Voodoo   

After the introductory applause almost the entire crowd sat, save for random pockets of people from the middle-back, including five people a couple rows in front of us. We were forced to stand the entire show, whereas we shouldn't have had to stand until song #6 and definitely by #8. If I had to stand from there on out, fine. There should be an ebb and flow in accordance with the energy of the entire setting: band, music, listeners. Most of that crowd got it, but a small percentage didn't, forcing others to react. Tweedy's commentary on the behavior that night: "I'm not getting the whole sitting/standing thing. I suppose some of you are Catholic." :lol

After the introductory applause almost the entire crowd sat, save for random pockets of people from the middle-back, including five people a couple rows in front of us. We were forced to stand the entire show, whereas we shouldn't have had to stand until song #6 and definitely by #8. If I had to stand from there on out, fine. There should be an ebb and flow in accordance with the energy of the entire setting: band, music, listeners. Most of that crowd got it, but a small percentage didn't, forcing others to react. Tweedy's commentary on the behavior that night: "I'm not getting the whole sitting/standing thing. I suppose some of you are Catholic." :lol

I understand Tweedy's confusion. This is one of those things where I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree because, to be honest, it sounds absolutely stupid to me to sit, stand, sit, stand, etc. during a show. Taking your seat after having stood just seems like an insult to the band -- like "that last song was awesome, but this one bores me so I'll sit here and wait until you guys decide to play another song I like." If I were a performer it would be absolutely confusing and more than a little disheartening.

I find this guy "quitting the band" because of a few disrespectful eggs is an overreaction. At my last Wilco show in Madison, I was a good distance back where no one was standing. So I sat, played my air drums, sang along and had a great time. A few shows earlier than that at the Pabst we were half way up the floor and stood the whole time, and from what could see, the whole floor stood. So, I think, as a fan, you have to be aware of the crowd surrounding you and simply be respectful. Standing or sitting isn't going to change your experience unless you let it. Enjoy the damn show and sit the fuck down! Or, stand the fuck up! ... depending.

EDIT: Also, at night one of the UIC shows, I was on the side in the seats, in front of an older group...I stood when I wanted and sat when I wanted. They were fine with it...if they had asked me to sit down, I would have. If they threw shit at me, I would have taken other actions...I would NOT have said GOODBYE to the band I was there to see, I would get those who threw something at me kicked out for being disrespectful.

I've seen Wilco 4 times...two of those times there were people sitting and Wilco basically made fun of the audience and forced everyone to stand. The first time was at the YHF tour...and Jeff basically said "You guys can stand..this isn't Wilco the movie...come on stand up everybody!" the second time..there was a "pit" in front of the stage that was completely empty. Jeff said...why are you guys so far away? Come up here. At that point everyone rushed the stage..we were right up front.

The other two times were standing room only GA. Which I prefer to seats. It's not like a punk concert where you have to worry about being trampled or crowd surfers. Most Wilco fans are pretty mellow.

I understand Wilco has been around for a while, and they have a lot of older fans, but not standing at a rock concert is completely foreign to me. Furthermore, people that get upset about people standing are even worse. Maybe if you stood up also instead of being a lazy ass you would make the concert much more exiting.

Guest Speed Racer

Maybe if you stood up also instead of being a lazy ass you would make the concert much more exiting.

Why would everyone leave?

Rock shows might be for rocking out, but like LouieB said, whether Wilco constitutes a rock show these days is pretty debatable.

Hey now!! just for the record (since plenty of folks here know me in real life) I do stand for Wilco when I am on the floor. I have also stood at concerts with seats.

For me, you have to go with the flow on this. If you are the only one standing when everyone else is sitting, folks should sit down. If everyone else is standing and you are complaining, you got no reason to complain. I have seen Jeff get people on their feet who were sitting down at shows.

And actually I have and I do like rocking to Wilco although the times I have sat have been okay too.

LouieB

Guest Speed Racer

Hey now!!

:lol I was just quoting what you said. I meant that literally - it's debatable, as in, people can and do debate it.

the only concert I sat at was M.Ward..but that was because I was in a balcony seat.

In these occassions I was in the front 4 rows..right near the stage.

I agree though if everyone is sitting, I usually end up sitting too...however I think the reason most people are sitting is because they are "nervous" to stand up. If I played a concert in front of 1000s of people I would be pissed that people were sitting and clapping. This aint the Opera.

Simply don't go to a seated theatre,I refuse to go to a place where's no R & R spirit. Go classic and dream yer dreams away

:thumbup

Huge props for the Dr Feelgood clip Mr Howdjadoo. The very embodiment of R & R spirit (did you see 'Rock & Roll Confidential'? Best rockumentary ever!).

I do stand for Wilco when I am on the floor. I have also stood at concerts with seats.

I can vouch for this, both claims. (Although it's been awhile--too long--since we last saw each other, Lou.)

Gimme a chair please as one of the oldest VC's

i saw the geogia satellites play on the beach in atlantic city sometime in the early 80's in front of trump plaza. they rocked!