Wilco--5/07/11, Denton, TX

I'll post a review in a day or two but here's the setlist. Pretty standard for this tour.

Ashes of American Flags

Bull Black Nova

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Pot Kettle Black

I'll Fight

Handshake Drugs

One Wing

War on War

Shot in the Arm

At Least That's What You Said

Via Chicago

Jesus, Etc.

Impossible Germany

Airline to Heaven

I Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man That Loves You

Wilco (The Song)

Red-Eyed and Blue

I Got You

Hoodoo Voodoo

Heavy Metal Drummer

Despite no alcohol (or drinks of any kind, to my knowledge) being sold inside the venue, the crowd seemed plenty riled up for a good old-fashioned Saturday night college show in North Texas...

I posted the complete setlist and a few comments over at setlistguy.wordpress.com.

Everything seems standard except for Jeff's dislike for the extra barricade. :shifty What an awesome show. Loved the auditorium. Very responsive crowd!

After the show we hung out at a bar across the street and I'll be damned if Pat and John didn't show up. It was cool to get a chance to watch Pat cut a mean rug, play a bunch of The Kinks songs on the juke box and John play a tough pool cue.....not that I spent much time watching these two cool muthafukas!! :cheers

It was a great evening. Thanks! :music

From the moment Wilco took the stage, everyone on the lower level stood up and remained that way the entire show. The venue was just the right size with plenty of room up front to gather around the "rock n roll petting zoo" (a small fenced area that I assumed was for equipment used for lectures). Jeff referred to it a couple of times.

Great crowd that seemed to be thrilled the campus was hosting such an event. Icing on the cake to chat with John and Pat and although no confirmation on whether or not the new record would be a double, it was stated that Solid Sound would be the first chance to hear some of it.

Here is a snippet from Jeff about the insanity of what our security culture has become. It's obvious in this show, and obviously in our airports with the TSA, with the "FU because i can" attitude and bulling that goes on.

I was in the balcony and was not affected, but what Jeff is talking about is, there was a large barricade set up in front of the stage that seemed about 10 feet from the stage to the railing from my view. Almost like a SRO pit area. The security at the stage was not allowing any one to go up to it. Including those that had front row seats. Through out the show the fans would creep towards the barricade and the security staff would wave them away with their flash lights, or approach them and move them back three feet to their seats. Why? Who knows? mindless bulling from brainless security IMO. Good for Jeff to call them out. :cheers

My link to the snippet

A great show. The band sounded like they were in a good mood and the playing was tight. As others have mentioned, I thought the setlists looked too similar, but it didn't show in the playing and it was a fun show. Interestingly, YHF is in full effect this mini-tour with 8/11 of those songs played generally and 7/11 during this show. Lots of YHF/Ghost-era songs.

BTW, does anyone know what guitar Tweedy was playing on ALTWYS? I haven't seen him play it before.

BTW, does anyone know what guitar Tweedy was playing on ALTWYS? I haven't seen him play it before.

I think it was a white Epiphone solid body of some sort with a whammy bar. I don't remember seeing him play it before this little mini-tour, but I could be wrong. He used it for At Least as well as Spiders.

I think it was a white Epiphone solid body of some sort with a whammy bar. I don't remember seeing him play it before this little mini-tour, but I could be wrong. He used it for At Least as well as Spiders.

Thanks. I couldn't tell at all from where I was standing. I noticed they had that guitar and his acoustic tuned up on the side implying perhaps a second encore with Misunderstood>Spiders.

Thanks. I couldn't tell at all from where I was standing. I noticed they had that guitar and his acoustic tuned up on the side implying perhaps a second encore with Misunderstood>Spiders.

That would probably ordinarily be the case, though I think the printed setlist actually had a planned first encore of Poor Places>Reservations>Spiders that unfortunately got axed in favor of a single rockin' encore. Playing to the kind of crowd it was, I guess, as well as maybe an 11 p.m. curfew.

That would probably ordinarily be the case, though I think the printed setlist actually had a planned first encore of Poor Places>Reservations>Spiders that unfortunately got axed in favor of a single rockin' encore. Playing to the kind of crowd it was, I guess, as well as maybe an 11 p.m. curfew.

Damn, that just ruined my night. ;) That's one of the most inspired encores I've heard them contemplate. Still, it goes back to my original point that they seem to be focusing on the YHF era this mini-tour. If they had played that series, all they would be neglecting would be Radio Cure.

What's up with the lack of You are My Face on this tour? Did they ever play it? I feel like that song is one of their best live.

Ditto.

I was thinking that, too, when I was looking at the set lists.

I also missed You Are My Face, but then again, this tour was only a little over a week long. I wouldn't lament its absence just yet.

One of my favorite moments in Denton was when one of the uniformed ushers came down the aisle, whipped out his iPhone, and started taking pictures. The video/camera battle wasn't one Jeff chose to fight on Saturday, even though the usual signs were up.

It would have been fun to hear the Poor Places > Reservations > Spiders encore, but I enjoyed the rockin' one too.

I, too, was a barricade yo-yo - went up, got shooed down by security, and invited back up by Jeff. I had a 5th row seat, though, so I didn't have to stray too far.

The Smith Westerns looked really uncomfortable with the really distant crowd, too, and even made a comment along the lines of "hope you guys are having a good time in your seats."

It would have been fun to hear the Poor Places > Reservations > Spiders encore, but I enjoyed the rockin' one too.

Gawd, I miss that one.

One of these days, Jeff should bust into the shredfest during Hoodoo Voodoo and facemelt Nels and Pat!!

I totally agree. Whether or not he would "facemelt" them remains to be seen, but I miss the days when Jeff did participate in the guitar battle.

I totally agree. Whether or not he would "facemelt" them remains to be seen, but I miss the days when Jeff did participate in the guitar battle.

Allow me to clarfy that Nels would be hard to outshine on a guitar solo and although if it were serious, Pat wouldn't stand a chance. In the spirit of fun, Jeff could step inbetween the two and rattle off an extended solo to end it all (just to show them whose signing the paychecks)! All in good fun! A few windmills and maybe even have an egg whisk on hand!! At least that's the way it works in my mind!!

Allow me to clarfy that Nels would be hard to outshine on a guitar solo and although if it were serious, Pat wouldn't stand a chance. In the spirit of fun, Jeff could step inbetween the two and rattle off an extended solo to end it all (just to show them whose signing the paychecks)! All in good fun! A few windmills and maybe even have an egg whisk on hand!! At least that's the way it works in my mind!!

:thumbup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmNHtWqcXqY

The show was good and had it's moments. I thought the campus was beautiful, coming from a UT Longhorn.

If I were to rank it with the Dallas gig in 09 and the Austin gig in 08 on Mother's Day, I'd rank it dead last though. The setlist was a bit standard playing the hits (then again they're all hits). I wanted to hear a lot more Being There and I wish They started with the unused first encore, getting rid of Walken and Bull Black Nova, hard ones to cull. Cheers for Baby ghosts!!!!

I was expecting awesomeness since that was the same green jacket he played with during the Austin gig, although Cline was in his red rockers and black boots mood,which weren't present, so it was a bit off balanced.