This is pretty well known but WYWH was originally going to be Shine on on 1 side and Raving and Drooling (Sheep) and Gotta Be Crazy (Dogs) on the other. The concerts following dark side in 74-75 had a 1st set of those 3 songs, usually r and d, gotta be crazy and shine on, second set of dark side and an encore of echoes. Pretty cool that a band could do a first set of all unknown material. Anyway, when they got to recording wywh the disconnected nature of the sessions gave Roger the idea split shine on in half and to write the three songs that they put in the middle to reflect the state the band was in and save the other 2 for the next record. Gilmour at first objected to the idea but Roger got his way and we ended up with wywh, the go to record in the Floyd cannon as far as I'm concerned. I don't really agree with your assertion that it is an ep's worth of material stretched, shine on is a pretty well crafted song, just because it is long and there are long parts with no vox, it dosent mean they were just noodling, the instrumental passages are very well written and arranged. The other 3 are pretty concise.

When it got time to do the next record, Roger came up with the whole animals concept, changed some of the lyrics to the already written songs and wrote pigs and pigs on the wing finish it of. I like Animals but IMO it is the least of the big 4 Floyd records. Don't really care much for pigs and Rick doesn't have a real prominent role on the whole thing. If anyone saw the waters dark side tour in 06-07, the first set closer of sheep was off the hook.

For a great document of the tour as i described above, check out the ivory wynne recording from '75, i forget the date. I'm pretty sure it's an Aud recording and might be the best aud i ever heard. At that point, they had only had have a cigar written and played it in the middle of shine on, with Dave and Roger screaming the vox, awesome.

i never knew that about wish you were here or animals. that would have been a crazy album. animals is my favorite too. never forget the first time i heard Dogs...i was floored. when that first lead comes in...damn...one of the best moments in rock. i also love how the looped gilmour vocal from dogs comes back up in sheep.

c

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lines like "Wave upon wave of demented avengers run cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream..." Those guitar stabs after "you better watch out" and "There may be dogs about"...

I never tire of it. I like animals better than wish you were here but I think that's at least partly due to the massive radio play of so many WYWH songs. You never hear Animals songs on the radio.

I don't really agree with your assertion that it is an ep's worth of material stretched, shine on is a pretty well crafted song, just because it is long and there are long parts with no vox, it dosent mean they were just noodling, the instrumental passages are very well written and arranged. The other 3 are pretty concise.

I didn't quite mean it that way, because I enjoy the passages. I especially like that moment around the 4 min mark when the 4 note guitar comes in and then the drums kick in.

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely need to get Animals. I guess I should wait for the remaster that will probably be on sale first week. I kinda think records like these that have long recouped their costs many times over should sell at lower prices than newer material, but then I'm sure there's the cost of remastering and the general 'worth of one piece of music compared to another' defense.

I didn't quite mean it that way, because I enjoy the passages. I especially like that moment around the 4 min mark when the 4 note guitar comes in and then the drums kick in.

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely need to get Animals. I guess I should wait for the remaster that will probably be on sale first week. I kinda think records like these that have long recouped their costs many times over should sell at lower prices than newer material, but then I'm sure there's the cost of remastering and the general 'worth of one piece of music compared to another' defense.

That may be the best moment in the floyd cannon. Don't mistake my opinion above for a dislike of animals, I really like it, just don't think it's as good as the the other great Floyd record.

One warning about remasters: without hijacking this thread as this deserves it's own topic, and there may be one if I remember right, there's this plague if you will of old records, every time they get remastered, get remastered louder and louder destroying the dynamic range. Go to YouTube and search "loudness wars" for complete explanation. Theres a great video that explains why this is done. Long story short, go on amazon and find a remaster from the 90's, you'll be glad you did. Here's a wiki entry on the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_wars

I listened to Wish the other day for the first time in a while. From a songwriting standpoint, it is really interesting that you could look at that album as a template on when you have an EP's worth of material (in this case 4 songs) and how to make it translate into an LP well. It looks like they kinda did that with Animals, too, though I've never heard it.

I have had DS, WYWH, and The Wall for years. I have yet to fully get into The Wall, but I like the other two.

What is your opinion on Animals?

The other 3 you will hear songs on classic rock radio every day probably, but Animals didn't have a single to my knowledge so I don't have the slightest idea what it sounds like. I've wanted it for years, but have kept putting it off for some reason.

I had no idea about the remastering until today when looking to see if I could find a cheap copy of Animals used. I'm sure all CD's I have are pre-2000 so I have no opinion on various releases and how they sound.

the amazing thing about floyd was that they could take a musical theme and present it in a bunch of different, compelling ways. shine on you crazy diamond, dogs, final cut. these themes were also very simple melodies and chord progressions. it is just so cool that listening to dogs feels like 2 minutes when the tune is like 15 minutes long. most other 15 min tunes are a nightmare.

c

Yeah, I am aware of the mastering loudness wars.

I actually studied music recording in college, though I never got to the point of mixing and mastering stuff and only had the first few studio courses.

The thing that pisses me off most about any remasters is when they actually cut vital stuff out or dialog that was on the original album purposefully. I think Ziggy Stardust had some stuff cut out, as well as, Mind Games on some remasters. I finally bought a bunch of the Kinks remasters with all the bonus tracks just to hear they are re-releasing them again.

My WYWH CD sounds pretty good to me, but then again, I don't have anything to compare it to. I bought it used in the early 2000's and it looks pretty old. It may be the first CD release.

Yeah, I am aware of the mastering loudness wars.

I actually studied music recording in college, though I never got to the point of mixing and mastering stuff and only had the first few studio courses.

The thing that pisses me off most about any remasters is when they actually cut vital stuff out or dialog that was on the original album purposefully. I think Ziggy Stardust had some stuff cut out, as well as, Mind Games on some remasters. I finally bought a bunch of the Kinks remasters with all the bonus tracks just to hear they are re-releasing them again.

My WYWH CD sounds pretty good to me, but then again, I don't have anything to compare it to. I bought it used in the early 2000's and it looks pretty old. It may be the first CD release.

i have the first cd releases of animals and wish you were here. the volume is low, but it sounds pretty good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Fallon To Honor Pinky Floyd With Week of Tributes

Last year "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" celebrated a whole week of the Rolling Stones. In May, Bob Marley got his due. Now, the music-loving talk host is setting aside the week of Sept. 26-30 to honor one of the most beloved bands in history, Pink Floyd.

NBC announced on Thursday (Sept. 22) the lineup for Floyd Week, with artists including The Shins, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, MGMT and Dierks Bentley, who each night will perform classic tracks from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band.

Better still, founding members Roger Waters and Nick Mason will be stopping by early in the week to chat with Fallon. Here's a day-by-day breakdown of the festivities (9/26-30), according to NBC.

Monday: The Shins will kick off the week and perform "Breathe" from "The Dark Side of the Moon." This will actually be the band's first TV appearance in four years. Floyd drummer Mason is stopping by for a talk segment with Fallon.

Tuesday: Roger Waters is teaming up with Foo Fighters (for the first time ever) to perform "In the Flesh," off the singer-bassist's opus "The Wall." Fallon will also get a crack at interviewing Waters during the show.

Wednesday: MGMT will take the stage to perform the early Floyd track, "Lucifer Sam," off 1967's "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn." The echo-heavy song, written and sung by original frontman Syd Barrett, was only performed by the band in the year of its release, but it's since been covered by the likes of The Flaming Lips and Jay Farrar (Son Volt/Uncle Tupelo).

Thursday: "Late Night" will go country when hugely popular country charmer Dierks Bentley takes the mic to handle the Floyd staple, "Wish You Were Here."

Friday: Pearl Jam will round out the week with their take on "Mother," another massive track off "The Wall." PJ recently made their Fallon debut by unveiling the new track, "Ole." Eddie and co. are riding high as they celebrate the 20th anniversary of their debut, "Ten," along with the release of "Pearl Jam 20," a film, book and soundtrack.

This weeklong celebration of Pink Floyd is timed for the release of the band's 14 remastered studio albums, a 16-CD box set with those releases, and an ambitious 6-disc box set focused solely on "Dark Side of the Moon," which includes previously unreleased audio and video

Tuesday: Roger Waters is teaming up with Foo Fighters (for the first time ever) to perform "In the Flesh," off the singer-bassist's opus "The Wall." Fallon will also get a crack at interviewing Waters during the show.

Wow, note to self, get the DVR set.

I thought The Shins did pretty good.

Cool that Richard Swift is in their band for this tour.

I see Target has where you can buy 2 of the albums for $10 a piece and then get a $5 Target gift card.

I think I will get Animals and Meddle. Hopefully they have these 2.

When Lennon's remasters came out they had a similar deal. I was going to finally get Mind Games, but I guess it was not popular enough to even carry it.

Target may only have Dark Side, Wish and The Wall, but here's hoping.

I thought The Shins did pretty good.

Cool that Richard Swift is in their band for this tour.

I see Target has where you can buy 2 of the albums for $10 a piece and then get a $5 Target gift card.

I think I will get Animals and Meddle. Hopefully they have these 2.

When Lennon's remasters came out they had a similar deal. I was going to finally get Mind Games, but I guess it was not popular enough to even carry it.

Target may only have Dark Side, Wish and The Wall, but here's hoping.

wonder if the wall counts as two. i need to round out my collection too. thanks for the head up.

I have just unwrapped the Dark Side of the Moon 180g Vinyl and its lovely. The production is great with all the original posters/postcards plus a new one. The sound is great and it draws out little things that I never really heard before...despite growing up with the record since I was a toddler. Looking forward to the Wish You Were Here vinyl re-issue in November (will it come in the black shrink-wrap like the '75 original?) and The Wall early next year.

Would be nice if they extended the vinyl re-issues to the whole catalogue as I would love Animals and Meddle in this format.

Just got Dark Side Of The Moon on vinyl today. v nice.

Nothing Eclipses the Moon http://mrtrpt.com/15d

Saw Roger pull it off Live the whole love er album

It was pleasant!

Just saw The Wall Tour Last Fall Seeing Wilco and Waters are the top 2 in the Last 12 months

With the Pogues Pulling up 3rd!

Sometime I will start a thread about them but I do not think it will gain much attn

Back on Point I have been listening to the WALL Live really a suberb recording

I only saw

DSOTM, The Wall, WYWH, Animals, and whatever the Stonehenge like one is.

I ended up getting Animals at Best Buy along with The Whole Love Deluxe (which they price matched to their online price of $12.99).

I probably would have bought Meddle, too, but that seemed to be the only album not in stock.

My main surprise were the Beatles 7" single recreations at Target right beside all the Floyd stuff. They must not have advertised these in the paper ad.