I would like to see something done with 'Animals'. I don't think they will bother with the 'Immersion' sets as those don't seem to have gone down to well. Call me crazy (diamond) but the Syd era never did much for me. Things only really get interesting, in my opinion, around Meddle.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the band held off on all this bonus stuff because it's not that good. i'm sure seeing them live in the 70s was great, but the tapes i've heard are tough to listen to. the studio stands best alone. Wish You Were Here and Animals are perfect albums. I also love the Final Cut. everything else has been shoved down my throat via classic rock radio or is just unlistenable to me. it continues to fascinate me how many times these big bands re-release the same stuff.

i think the band held off on all this bonus stuff because it's not that good. i'm sure seeing them live in the 70s was great, but the tapes i've heard are tough to listen to. the studio stands best alone. Wish You Were Here and Animals are perfect albums. I also love the Final Cut. everything else has been shoved down my throat via classic rock radio or is just unlistenable to me. it continues to fascinate me how many times these big bands re-release the same stuff.

The Final Cut is a great record, much underappreciated. The Gunner's Dream is one of my fav Floyd songs. I would concur that the cream of the Floyd material is already out there. Regarding Animals I believe the two 'Pigs on the wing' were originally one song that was split due to the constraints of vinyl.

The Final Cut was the first cd I bought, back in the 80s. It is a great one. Kind have to agree with Wild Frank, I really have to be in the mood for Syd era Floyd - I perfer A Saucerful of Secrets to Pipers. I think Meddle is probably my favorite and Animals, second.

The Final Cut was the first cd I bought, back in the 80s. It is a great one. Kind have to agree with Wild Frank, I really have to be in the mood for Syd era Floyd - I perfer A Saucerful of Secrets to Pipers. I think Meddle is probably my favorite and Animals, second.

I also love the Roger solo records, particularly 'Pros and Cons' and 'Amused to Death'. I still contest that if 'Amused to Death' had been released under the Pink Floyd moniker it would have sold tens of millions. Conversely had 'Momentary Lapse' been a titled as a Gilmour solo record it would have gone down like a lead balloon.

I also love the Roger solo records, particularly 'Pros and Cons' and 'Amused to Death'. I still contest that if 'Amused to Death' had been released under the Pink Floyd moniker it would have sold tens of millions. Conversely had 'Momentary Lapse' been a titled as a Gilmour solo record it would have gone down like a lead balloon.

Very true. FInal Cut was basically a Roger Waters solo album with an occasional sweet guitar solo by Gilmour. I love Gilmour but it's clear when you listen to the post Roger Floyd albums and the various solo albums who the real creative force was in the band.

I haven't listened to Amused to Death in ages, I don't think I ever bought it. Radio KAOS is even okay, in my book, though I think Pros and Cons is better.

I finally watched a bootleg DVD of Water's Wall perform - the Chicago show that was shot with multiple camerars - it was very entertaining.

Still don't think I would spring for a ticket, but it definetly was good. Roger's voice, though never really great, has gotten a bit worse, but it still sounded okay. The band he is playing is steller.

I would like to see something done with 'Animals'. I don't think they will bother with the 'Immersion' sets as those don't seem to have gone down to well. Call me crazy (diamond) but the Syd era never did much for me. Things only really get interesting, in my opinion, around Meddle.

I guess between our tastes we'd make a diehard Pink Floyd fan. Because I love the Syd era, and around Meddle (really Dark Side) I start to check out. I like the song "Wish You Were Here," but have never really had much of a love for anything else on that record. I am not much of a fan of anything after that.

--Mike

I love Gilmour but it's clear when you listen to the post Roger Floyd albums and the various solo albums who the real creative force was in the band.

I disagree. You can't really compare a band in it's prime to what they became 15 to 20 years later. To me that's like saying, you can listen to The Firm and tell who the creative force in Zeppelin was. Pink Floyd, as with most great bands is the sum of it's parts, but if I was gonna give and MVP to the Meddle-The Wall Pink Floyd without a thought it would be David Gilmour. Waters was always great for alot of the lyrical content, but I'd probably put him behind even Rick Wright as a musical force in Pink Floyd until The Wall came around. Even then, without Gilmour's contributions The Wall wouldn't have not achieved near the success or adulation it receives.

I'd love to see some earlier reissues for the vinyl, especially Meddle. Just hope they turn out better than the current crop.

I disagree. You can't really compare a band in it's prime to what they became 15 to 20 years later. To me that's like saying, you can listen to The Firm and tell who the creative force in Zeppelin was. Pink Floyd, as with most great bands is the sum of it's parts, but if I was gonna give and MVP to the Meddle-The Wall Pink Floyd without a thought it would be David Gilmour. Waters was always great for alot of the lyrical content, but I'd probably put him behind even Rick Wright as a musical force in Pink Floyd until The Wall came around. Even then, without Gilmour's contributions The Wall wouldn't have not achieved near the success or adulation it receives.

Ok, I did engage in a bit of hyperbole, like most good bands, the sum is greater than the parts and you can't judge based on solo material. What I do know is the post Waters Pink Floyd albums are a blight on the catalog and they had no business carrying on without Roger at that point (and keeping the name).

I find it crazy to put him behind Wright for contributions pre-wall though. The lyrics were all his (at least from about Dark side on), the concepts were all his, and a majority of the music. But I agree, it took all of them to make Dark side and Animals what they were. I fully admit to a bit of a Waters bias but I'm a huge fan of all of them.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Any of you Floyd freaks know about this? I am a hopeless Syd Barrett completist, and this made my day...just finding out it exists!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/syd-barrett-corn-exchange/

More details (like WAY more) here:

http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/2014/06/the-last-minute-put-together-reel-story.html

Can't believe I didn't know about this, and it happened last year. "New" Syd, even just him jamming with some people, is enough to make me salivate.

• 5 years later...

The track in the article below is outstanding. I think it's the best "isolation" video so far. Roger has a killer band & Lucius are so good. Roger looks like he is enjoying himself. Watch him, there's some humorous stuff if you lip read, haha. From what he says about next year's tour, sounds like it will not to be missed.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/roger-waters-social-distancing-pink-floyd-mother-1001107/