All indications are (via internet ramblings and advance copy,leaks etc) that the new record is actually coming out. (june 28th). I was late to get into her and David, but I think Soul Journey is about as awesome as anything of this style and I loved the Dave Rawlings Machine record.

Now here is hoping that the new one, in addition to her back catalogue finally gets its vinyl day.

All indications are (via internet ramblings and advance copy,leaks etc) that the new record is actually coming out. (june 28th). I was late to get into her and David, but I think Soul Journey is about as awesome as anything of this style and I loved the Dave Rawlings Machine record.

Now here is hoping that the new one, in addition to her back catalogue finally gets its vinyl day.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

god damn it's been too long. have followed her since the beginning, she is tied with neil young with my favorite artist of all time and i am so excited she's putting out a new album. this is why i check VC all the time, folks here got their pulse on stuff i'm interested. thanks for posting.

btw-she is amazing live!

I'm curious, and I'm sure there will be a ton of press coverage explaining, of why it has taken so long. Close to a decade since her last record. Anyone have any clues on this?

So happy to hear a new one is on the way. It's been a while, but at least shes kept busy with tons of guest appearances on other peoples records.

I'm curious, and I'm sure there will be a ton of press coverage explaining, of why it has taken so long. Close to a decade since her last record. Anyone have any clues on this?

during the press for dave's album gillian was asked why so long between albums. she said it was because the songs she was writing/written weren't cohesive to put together on an album. i can respect that. at the same time, an EP or something would've been nice. i know they were playing 'new tunes' on the soul journey tours and that there has been pressing saying she was in the studio for several years now. i do remember hearing that this might be a double album. that would be cool.

She also said that she had a touch of writer's block/fatigue. Great news...I am trying to get our secretary at work into her...

right. also, she was writing tunes for others which she didn't feel like performing. the solomon burke tune Valley of Tears is one. i'd love to hear her play that as well as New Favorite, the one she wrote for allison Krauss.

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings opened for Bright Eyes at a show I saw in Atlanta at the Fox in 2007. They were just mesmerizing. They also joined Conor and the gang for a few songs at the end of the show--might've been encores. That whole concert was one for the memory book.

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings opened for Bright Eyes at a show I saw in Atlanta at the Fox in 2007. They were just mesmerizing. They also joined Conor and the gang for a few songs at the end of the show--might've been encores. That whole concert was one for the memory book.

I had the great fortune to be at that same show! Beautiful venue, great sound, and hearing Gillian Welch live was unbelievable. There's something so amazing to me about her voice, its timbre or something. It resonates so perfectly. I've been listening to her on the recent Decemberists and thinking she's the best thing about it. And now a new record -- yippee!!

I had the great fortune to be at that same show! Beautiful venue, great sound, and hearing Gillian Welch live was unbelievable. There's something so amazing to me about her voice, its timbre or something. It resonates so perfectly. I've been listening to her on the recent Decemberists and thinking she's the best thing about it. And now a new record -- yippee!!

you're right about her voice. i could listen to her sing the phone book. and david's harmonies are so close, they sound like one voice. they're also very dry in their humor, which i love. last time i saw them they reverbed gillian's voice and she sang a jefferson airplane tune. i didn't go to that fox show b/c i'm not a bright eyes fan. have seen her several times at the variety in atlanta. another great venue. :cheers

• 2 weeks later...

new album presale up on Gillian's website. No vinyl as of now? There is a message related to the vinyl issue, which promises ALL of her releases will at some point soon be available on that format.

Not sure what the hang up is on the vinyl, but i will practice my patience.

'27 flavors of sadness...'-Welch

love that stuff. can't wait for this. the extensive tour is cool too. i can't help but wonder about those '2-3 records worth of material' she and dave wrote over the last several years. they wrote a new record! art is funny that way though. as a songwriter myself, it's like pulling teeth for me to actually finish anything. recently, my musical partner and i have just been trying to write songs fast when they come. 10-20 minutes from idea to quick demo on mac. seems to have worked once so far.

thanks for the article:)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/worldfolkandjazz/8587515/Gillian-Welch-Harrow-and-The-Harvest-CD-review.html

Gillian Welch: Harrow & The Harvest (Acorny Records)

It's been eight years since Gillian Welch's last album and the The Harrow & The Harvest is worth the wait.

The interplay between Welch and David Rawlings's guitars is dazzlingly expert as they dance around the slow, melancholy beauty of Welch's voice. There cannot be another musical duet around at the moment who are able to make two acoustic guitars and two voices produce a sound that is so subtle and yet powerful.

Tracks such as Down Along The Dixie Line and Six White Horses are vignettes steeped in the American southern country life they have observed so closely in Tennessee.

Welch once admitted that "I don’t start writing until I’m totally miserable" and the opener Scarlet Town is certainly bleak. "It's a little dark and a little vengeful," she said.

Human frailty is the theme of The Way it Goes and Dark Turn of Mind, songs which all the more effective for being performed in their understated yet complex manner.

Tennessee is a gem of a song ("Of all the ways I've found to hurt myself, you may be my favourite one of all") delivered in a perfect languid drawl by Welch but all 10 originals are hugely satisfying and complement each other so well.

Also worth a mention in dispatches is the glorious album cover artwork by John Dyer Baizley, a painter and musician based in Savannah, Georgia.

This is American folk music at its very best.

They had better come to the UK this time around ...