Now Playing: June, 2011

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

600px-Suckitandsee.jpg

Arctic Monkeys - Suck It And See

Someone explain to me why this cover is offensive enough to get censored when you see it in big box stores next week.

Guess they don't want people slobbering all over the CDs.

Now Playing this and pretending it's summer here...

Rocket_from_the_Crypt_Al_RFTC.jpg

blue+ruin+flame.jpg

A description of this great, dark blues band from Down Under.

This comes from The Trouser Press:

Although the lone Birthday Party alumnus in this dark and bluesy Australian quartet is drummer Phill Calvert, it's singer Ian "Quinsy" McLean and his obvious Nick Cave fixation that establishes the stylistic bond between Such Sweet Thunder and From Her to Eternity. With Blue Ruin providing the basic guitar-bass-drums framework and dramatic vocals, guests add the sax, harmonica and keyboards coloration that make hard-edged numbers like "She's Murder," "Waterhole" and "Love Me When I'm Low" engrossingly atmospheric.

Other than guitarist Mulaim Vela's organ work, Flame again relies on session players (trombone, strings, sax) for its musical flavoring. Overall, Blue Ruin's second album takes a better-adjusted path, relegating a chunk of the group's jagged intensity and bleakness to the downcast — not quite dissolute — and violent lyrics. (Strangely, Flame includes a new rendition of the first album's vindictive "What a Hell'uva Woman.")

The powerfully live Strange Things in the Corner was recorded over a pair of May 1988 nights in Melbourne. Other than Willie Dixon's "I Just Wanna Make Love to You" (given an alternately slow/fast but consistently tuneless reading) and one band original, all of the tunes come from the two studio albums. (Yep, "Hell'uva Woman" makes its third appearance.)

The Best of Boston Spaceships

GuerrillaGroup_1_Screenshot20110511at122043PM.png

01 The Comedian

02 How Wrong You Are

03 Heavy Crown

04 Come On Baby Grace

05 Question Girl All Right

06 Canned Food Demons

07 Let It Rest For A Little While

08 Radical Amazement

09 Queen Of Stormy Weather

10 Meddle