New album called "The Whole Love"?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From that Spin article a couple of months ago: ""Whole Love" is an easy-going country-rocker that finds Tweedy testing out his falsetto skills."

Love, love, love it when Jeff sings in falsetto. When he sang a verse of "I Shall Be Released" (day 3 of SS) in his high voice, it nearly gave me the vapors.

7 minute opening song and an 11 minute closing song? Who do Wilco think they are? Yo La Tengo?

Ha ha..I thought the same thing.

More power to them...as long as the songs are actually good and not completely annoying like that one track on GIB.

Not if you hit the skip button once the noise starts.

...and it's time for Late Greats.

Actually, listening to "Less Than You Think" in its entirety enhances "The Late Greats." I'm not saying it's worth listening to all the time, but I rarely skip it.

Finally heard the two new tracks. I had heard I Might a week or so ago and it kinda bored me.

Dawned on Me and Born Alone might have me rushing to buy a Wilco record on release day for the first time in years. I love both of them.

Actually, listening to "Less Than You Think" in its entirety enhances "The Late Greats." I'm not saying it's worth listening to all the time, but I rarely skip it.

I agree. I love to listen to it. It's a beautiful song...and sometimes I listen all the way through even if my pets look at me funny.

I love Wilco but that was definitely their most pretentious moment of their career

I read somewhere that the end of the song was supposed to represent what a migraine is like. I suffer from migraines and for a long time before they were diagnosed, I used to just deal with them, try to make it through the day, go to bed if I could...whatever. So I spent a few years living with and experiencing the intensity of migraines. So anyway, I find that part of the song interesting.

Edit: Also I really like the beginning of the song. Speaks to me of atheistic ideas.

I read somewhere that the end of the song was supposed to represent what a migraine is like. I suffer from migraines and for a long time before they were diagnosed, I used to just deal with them, try to make it through the day, go to bed if I could...whatever. So I spent a few years living with and experiencing the intensity of migraines. So anyway, I find that part of the song interesting.

That's what I've read too. It's supposed to be a sonic/aural representation of Tweedy's headspace during those intense migraines. And the frenzied guitar work in ALTWYS is supposed to sound like a panic attack.

I love Wilco but that was definitely their most pretentious moment of their career. The only annoying track on SBS is Shake it Off.

Shake It Off is great except for the keyboard sound in the slow part right after the chorus, which is straight off a late-70s Grateful Dead album. Overall a fantastic piece of music.

Shake It Off is great except for the keyboard sound in the slow part right after the chorus, which is straight off a late-70s Grateful Dead album. Overall a fantastic piece of music.

I always liked the tune, but the chorus gets old after while. The "Shake It Off" seems like it repeats two times too many... But if one is obeying the laws of songwriting, it has to do it four times or it wouldn't sound right (or worse than it does)..

shake it off is an amazing song. and the version off the "shake it off" disc trumps SBS', since Glen's drums don't have that muted sound like they're being recorded through a wall of tampons.