Top 5 albums of 2011 so far

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily... plenty of hardcore fans there criticize any direction the band takes, wanting them to sound like It still Moves and Z... just like the hardcore Wilco fans on this site.

i don't want them to sound like anything really, i just want good songs thumbup.gif

I would love to hear an explanation of the folks who think the new Fleet Foxes is a disapointment. Seriously. What were your expectations? Why did it disappoint you? I honestly think that album is a complete MASTERPIECE.

Please explain!

I won't even go into asking why folks thought Go Go Boots was disappointing. I think that's possibly their best album start to finish (Decoration Day being first)

I would love to hear an explanation of the folks who think the new Fleet Foxes is a disapointment. Seriously. What were your expectations? Why did it disappoint you? I honestly think that album is a complete MASTERPIECE.

Please explain!

I won't even go into asking why folks thought Go Go Boots was disappointing. I think that's possibly their best album start to finish (Decoration Day being first)

Here's what I thought about Fleet Foxes (from an earlier thread) -- "For something to be beautiful, it needs to move me or affect me in some way. Despite the lushness and harmonies of this album, I'm left cold with no connection to it. I also don't think the melodies are very strong at all. And the harmonies feel tacked on as a way to move each song along, rather than something organic and natural."

I'd probably rank Go-Go Boots as DBT's worst album. Shonna's songs are just not very good at all and I find the whole thing to be rather listless and boring. It's a chore to get through.

Go Go Boots is def better than Pizza Deliverance or Gangstabilly imo, but i've lost a lot of my interest in them over the last 2-3 albums (Creation's Dark is still quite good tho)

Go Go Boots is def better than Pizza Deliverance or Gangstabilly imo,

I agree with this. On Gangstabilly, I enjoy Wife Beater, Demonic Possession, and Steve McQueen. On Pizza Deliverance, I enjoy Bulldozers and Dirt and Nine Bullets. On Go Go Boots, I enjoy more than both of those albums combined.

I think the new Destroyer album is definitely my favorite from this year so far. Optimistic about the new Wilco record. Low's C'Mon is solid and "Witches" might be one of the best songs this year so far. Need to pick up Bon Iver. Both Decemberists and Iron and Wine records were solid, not amazing, but glad to see they can both still put out things that I enjoy.

C'mon is solid. Love Witches. Love the slow burn and build of Nothing But Heart.

honestly i could never get into them until SRO

...and that's even more strange, because I'm really not that big on SRO. I was introduced via The Dirty South and Decoration Day. Like Sky Blue Sky or Evil Urges for many Wilco and MMJ fans, A Blessing and a Curse the first "new" release by DBT that I picked up, and seems to be a real point of contention among a lot of fans. I actually like most of it.

...and that's even more strange, because I'm really not that big on SRO. I was introduced via The Dirty South and Decoration Day. Like Sky Blue Sky or Evil Urges for many Wilco and MMJ fans, A Blessing and a Curse the first "new" release by DBT that I picked up, and seems to be a real point of contention among a lot of fans. I actually like most of it.

That album isn't too bad. I think it gets knocked unfairly.

Please explain!

You saved me the trouble of typing this because I was wondering the exact same thing. I can understand not liking Fleet Foxes. But to like their previous work and not like the new one is beyond my comprehension.

You saved me the trouble of typing this because I was wondering the exact same thing. I can understand not liking Fleet Foxes. But to like their previous work and not like the new one is beyond my comprehension.

ditto...

the new one is much more impressive musically. sure it might not be as catchy melodically, or rely as much on the 4 part harmonies as the first, but still some very gorgeous songs & melodies imo.

wasn't disappointed in the least by it and I can't wait for their show here in 2 weeks

Fair enough! No skin off my back, doesn't change my enjoyment, let's all agree to disagree. :cheers

Should be tattooed on the forehead every poster on this board .

So I guess my explanation proved unsatisfactory to you. Oh well. I'll just go on not listening to Helplessness Blues.

So I guess my explanation proved unsatisfactory to you. Oh well. I'll just go on not listening to Helplessness Blues.

so...wait, let me get this straight...you don't like the new fleet foxes??

:P

Yes, especially this part: "For something to be beautiful, it needs to move me or affect me in some way. Despite the lushness and harmonies of this album, I'm left cold with no connection to it. I also don't think the melodies are very strong at all. And the harmonies feel tacked on as a way to move each song along, rather than something organic and natural." :P

Naw, you hit the nail on the head. If it does not connect with you then it just does not. But a big part of me wants to say, "Well listen to it again dammit, your are obviously missing something!" even though I know better.

it sort of reminds me of another forum i visit. there's a guy who completely HYPED the first Bon Iver album....i mean he was his #1 Fan. The new album was released and somebody asked "So, how's the new Bon Iver" and the #1 fan said "Total snooze fest"

WTF?????

Middle Brother - S/T

The Deep Vibration - Strange Love

Buffalo Tom - Skins

Centro-Matic - Candidate Waltz

Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing

on or near the list:

J Mascis - Several Shades of Why

Okkervil River - I am Very Far

Hayes Carll - KMAG YOYO

Silos - Florizona

Dawes - Nothing is Wrong

Amazon has a good selection of new releases in its $5 albums for the month. I got Tune-Yards and Wye Oak and will probably go back for the Jolie Holland album at some point.

I forgot to mention drone/ambient/experimentalist Noveller's new album the other day. I haven't heard it yet, but based on how much I enjoy her other work, I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it. I also forgot the B B + C album (Berne, Black, and Cline). I haven't played that one yet, either, but considering how much I enjoy all three of them, I'm guessing I'll really like it.