Official 2011 Le Tour de France Thread

yes, brutal is the best way to describe hoogerland's backside. the upswing is that hoogerland was able to make it to the end of the stage, the rest day and today's stage still holding onto his polka dots!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone give a shit about the Armstrong story out this morning?

I'm conflicted - I'm worried that his Livestrong foundation will suffer as a result. He's raised so much money for cancer research - it's a shame that the fundraising will suffer as a result of the sentence from the USADA.

Also - I've never liked his response to "have you ever doped" - being "I've never failed a test"

His response this time "I'm not going to fight their allegations any more because I'm sick of it"

Just admit it. Personally I don't care that he doped. I always suspected that he did. His achievement in fundraising for cancer research should overshadow any cheating he did.

I'm conflicted - I'm worried that his Livestrong foundation will suffer as a result. He's raised so much money for cancer research - it's a shame that the fundraising will suffer as a result of the sentence from the USADA.

i dont see how this would happen. i think its generally accepted that doping was so prevalent in lance's peak that this doesnt really matter to the average follower. worst case scenario hes still a cancer survivor who took drugs to beat other guys who took drugs at an extremely tough race. i dont think donations will dry up because lance technically never won a thing now.

plus, http://m.espn.go.com...yId=8301006

personally i think the whole case is a waste of time and money. what are they gonna do, strip him of his wins and give them to the other dopers that finished behind him? if anything it was a level playing field and lance still came out on top. if they want to crack down, thats fine, but do it now and worry about the future.

No way Lance wins without doping, as it was rampant in the sport then. If he did not cheat, he would have been way back in the pack. If other riders from that period are to be believed (and I do believe them), they knew how to beat the tests. So Lance trained hard, used the same illegal tactics as his teammates and opponents, and won.

My beef is his continued claim of innocence. I would have a lot more respect for him if he said he cheated, and did some education on the dangers of the drugs/methods used by cyclists. It is ironic that he heads an organization that works to beat cancer, and some of the methods/drugs used by cyclists may cause cancer. Sounds like a good thing for LiveStrong to get involved with, to combat.

Which leads to the LiveStrong organization. I read an eye-opening article on the organization in the New Yorker a year or two ago. After reading it, I have no desire to support the group or Lance Armstrong. The man and the organization are an incredible PR duo.

• 2 weeks later...

Also - I've never liked his response to "have you ever doped" - being "I've never failed a test"

His response this time "I'm not going to fight their allegations any more because I'm sick of it"

Just admit it. Personally I don't care that he doped. I always suspected that he did. His achievement in fundraising for cancer research should overshadow any cheating he did.

That's part of the wonders of disinformation. Livestrong doesn't raise any money for cancer research. Their primary mission is cancer awareness. Meaning, primarily, the message that Lance Armstrong survived cancer (testicular) and won 7 editions of the tour de france. I don't know about you, but I already knew cancer existed before Lance got it. The money they raise also pales in comparison to that raised by, for example, the american cancer society or spent by the US government on actual research. The truth is, Livestrong has come under great scrutiny for how they raise money and for what it's spent on.

When this house of cards falls it's going to fall very very hard.

In addition to the New Yorker article there's a long one on outside online.