100s & 100s of Wilco tickets in the hands of scalpers

From the Wilco FB page:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=29&subAreaID&query=Wilco&catAbb=sss

I've spoken with lots of people who say they got nothing in the presales yesterday and I can tell you nothing was available 3 min. after the general onsale today.

The sheer amount of tickets on this scalper page is shocking. I'd LOVE to see Wilco void this date and re-sell this venue, using Frontgate if necessary.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applaud Wilco for all the anti-scalping steps they have taken, not many bands have done that for their fans. That said, the only thing you can do is make all tickets will call and don't let anyone else in. I think it is getting better, but we are always gonna deal with these greedy asswipes.

The only reason scalpers sell tickets is because people keep buying from them. Don't.

In lots of cases, if you wait them out, supply outstrips demand and they have to sell below cost. That is the one time when scalpers provide a valuable service.

Just got a reply to a similar post on FB remarking the band will go over the purchase rules (non-transferable tix, 4 ticket limit, etc) with the venue.

Agree with the above: I don't buy from scalpers, personally, esp. since a lot of times TM releases more tickets a few days before the show....and there's usually some other fan who's got an extra....

From the Wilco FB page:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=29&subAreaID&query=Wilco&catAbb=sss

I've spoken with lots of people who say they got nothing in the presales yesterday and I can tell you nothing was available 3 min. after the general onsale today.

The sheer amount of tickets on this scalper page is shocking. I'd LOVE to see Wilco void this date and re-sell this venue, using Frontgate if necessary.

I do feel for your plight but in reality this happens to 95% of the shows in the NYC area and I am sure other major cities.....

makes you wonder though if TicketMaster retains some choice tickets for themselves to sell to brokers...Pessimism wouldn't exist if it wasn't sometimes true...

Of course they do. Eventually they'll get caught and when they do they'll receive the lightest punishment in the history of the world. Then their top execs will get huge bonuses.

That's not pessimism, it's realism.

I do feel for your plight but in reality this happens to 95% of the shows in the NYC area...

LCD at MSG comes right to mind...

But there's really nothing Wilco can do right now. They tried to have the strict policies in place before tickets went on sale, but unfortunately, people are still abusing the system. Voiding all tickets for that show would be a mistake, because the process would start over again and screw over a lot of fans that did get tickets to this show. I understand that there are an absurd amount of tickets on scalper sites, but it's still a very small percentage of the ticket pool.

Keep your eyes glued to the ticket forum here and on Craigslist. There are always kind souls that need to give up their tickets in the weeks before a show. Keep thinking good thoughts and good things will happen for you. It's happened for me on both ends of ticket selling/buying for Wilco shows.

But there's really nothing Wilco can do right now. They tried to have the strict policies in place before tickets went on sale, but unfortunately, people are still abusing the system. Voiding all tickets for that show would be a mistake, because the process would start over again and screw over a lot of fans that did get tickets to this show. I understand that there are an absurd amount of tickets on scalper sites, but it's still a very small percentage of the ticket pool.

Keep your eyes glued to the ticket forum here and on Craigslist. There are always kind souls that need to give up their tickets in the weeks before a show. Keep thinking good thoughts and good things will happen for you. It's happened for me on both ends of ticket selling/buying for Wilco shows.

True...

Also LCD was a major major fiasco but somehow then they rereleased some seats and I scored section 73!

Today's technology should make it possible to void ANY tickets that wind up listed on scalp sites, and reprint/resell new tickets for those same seats.

I see no reason at all why they couldn't do this. It's just a matter of venues cooperating with artists and a bit of jumping through hoops.

Today's technology should make it possible to void ANY tickets that wind up listed on scalp sites, and reprint/resell new tickets for those same seats.

I see no reason at all why they couldn't do this. It's just a matter of venues cooperating with artists and a bit of jumping through hoops.

How would you get the exact tickets voided? Scalpers (good ones) know not to show pictures of the tickets or venues can easily void the specific seats. I could understand either the venue or the band buying the tickets back, but then the scalpers still get their money and the band/venue takes a financial hit.

Is there an easier way I'm missing?

For the Boston show, the rules are very strict that it's will-call only, and you will have to then go directly into the theatre, no more than a single purchase per person. Weren't these rules in place for all the venues? Are there scalpers selling Boston tickets even with the will-call only rule?

How would you get the exact tickets voided? Scalpers (good ones) know not to show pictures of the tickets or venues can easily void the specific seats. I could understand either the venue or the band buying the tickets back, but then the scalpers still get their money and the band/venue takes a financial hit.

Is there an easier way I'm missing?

You'd just have to know the seat numbers. Every ticket I've ever looked at has listed the section and seat numbers (otherwise, who in their right mind would buy them?).

All the venues I've been to lately scan the barcode on the ticket before you can enter. I see no reason why the ticket agency or venue couldn't void the barcode on the scalped ticket, and when the holder of the scalped ticket shows up...sorry bud, no show for you.

So, the scalper would get their money, but it'd sour the masses on the scalping game real quick.

Of course this would only work for tickets listed online and not sidewalk scalpers.

For the Boston show, the rules are very strict that it's will-call only, and you will have to then go directly into the theatre, no more than a single purchase per person. Weren't these rules in place for all the venues? Are there scalpers selling Boston tickets even with the will-call only rule?

I thought so, too, but there was somethig in the details for Ryman that said "Gold Circle tickets are will call only, all others will be mailed by (insert date)"

It's actually said "(insert date)", which seemed fishy and amateurish.

From the Wilco FB page:

Oh man, I feel for everybody that got screwed today, but I managed to score BBB orchestra pit tickets (2nd row from stage) during the Frontgate presale on wednesday and I wouldn't know what to do with myself if they voided this date and resold all the tickets.

There were different rules for each venue. For instance, i don't think the New York show was will call, all tickets were being mailed on August 22. Meanwhile, my Ryman tickets were will call only because they were "Gold Circle" seats from the presale.

There were different rules for each venue. For instance, i don't think the New York show was will call, all tickets were being mailed on August 22. Meanwhile, my Ryman tickets were will call only because they were "Gold Circle" seats from the presale.

With the will-call only rule in Boston, will be interesting to see if tickets end up on Stub Hub or other scalper sites.

Oh man, I feel for everybody that got screwed today, but I managed to score BBB orchestra pit tickets (2nd row from stage) during the Frontgate presale on wednesday and I wouldn't know what to do with myself if they voided this date and resold all the tickets.

I agree...I scored AAA orchestra pit tickets on the Frongate pre-sale. The real answer to end ALL reselling is ticket-less day of show entry with the credit card used. This slows the entry process down for us all but eliminates scalping.

I'd love to boycott scalpers but buying concert tickets is often a completely impulsive and irrational exercise. When I want a ticket I will do what I must to get one. Unfortunately I think a lot of music fans are wired this way and it plays right into scalpers' hands