Less Than You Think

How often, if ever, do you listen to it all the way through?

I very seldomly last through all the feedback and noise at the end. Sometimes though, if I'm in the right mood, I'll just let it play.

How often, if ever, do you listen to it all the way through?

I very seldomly last through all the feedback and noise at the end. Sometimes though, if I'm in the right mood, I'll just let it play.

Always, I've never skipped through it, I find it very relaxing and mesmerizing, and there is always something new in there.

When cutting the grass and thats about it. Skipping requires one handing the mower,whippin the ipod out of the back pocket, unlocking,skipping,locking, and then reinsertion. Thats about the only time its not worth it. For some reason I will listen to about 2 or 3 minutes of it every time though even know I know I'm going to skip it. Sounds like a question for Mr.Freud.

I almost never listen all the way through, and even though it's a lot shorter than the studio version, I've always found the live versions to sound much more interesting. I was lucky enough to hear it live at my first Wilco show in 2004 and was blown away by the drone.

I almost always listen to it, unless someone else is in the car with me. One of the things I really love about this song is that there is a temptation to skip the rest of the song. Its as if Tweedy is daring you to end it to get to the Late Greats. I think the drone makes the album better, and is not as pretentious as some people have argued. Of course we all know that the song is a sonic representation of a migraine, which unlike the song, cannot be skipped. That is usually the reason I listen to it, because they wanted me too. Sometimes I actually like the dissonant sounds, but other times I am just waiting for it to be over. But I still listen.

No matter how much/little you enjoy it, I can not think of any other sonic detail that has been discussed in as great a length on that record. That right there shows something is artistically relevant. It attempted to communicate something; a lot of people responded to it. I haven't heard half as much on here about most of their other songs. I'm not saying that makes it 'good' (I happen to enjoy it from time to time), but it does make it 'of note'.

There was a time when I worked on some serious research/writing projects, and would be at my computer for all hours of night. Right around the time Ghost came out. I'd put the CD in, and it played 3 or 4 times in a row. I barely even noticed the drone at that pace. For casual listening, I'll let the drone play a minute or two, then skip to Late Greats.

If I'm by myself, almost always. If there's someone else at home or in the car when it's playing, I'll skip over it after a minute or so. I get a little tired of the kids going "Dad, what's wrong with your stereo? Oh, that's your Wilco stuff. Never mind." I've tried to explain it, but I think it's lost on them.

The live version from the residency is my favorite, btw.

If someone was to describe that track to me or I read about it in a music review I'd probably think it sounded incredibly pretentious and to be avoided at all costs - as it is I love it. I don't know how they made that particular drone so intriguing but it works on me, I almost never skip it.

Rarely....I've tried a few times but just can't get through it. It usually happens when I'm at work or doing something other than listening. After getting my first migraine a few years ago, I totally get that it is what one of those brain crushers sounds like.

It does have one of my favorite lines..."The night is dissolving in a cup God lifts to toast the lightening."

And maybe that's why I don't listen-- none of Jeff's great words.