Interesting, cause my favorite is War Elephant. Love em all though. McCauley's just rock n roll to the core.

My favorite show of the year was Dawes/Deer Tick/Middle Brother in NYC....Johnny Mac ate shrooms halfway thru the show. Still kept it together (sort of) for the Middle Brother set.

Interesting, cause my favorite is War Elephant. Love em all though. McCauley's just rock n roll to the core.

My favorite show of the year was Dawes/Deer Tick/Middle Brother in NYC....Johnny Mac ate shrooms halfway thru the show. Still kept it together (sort of) for the Middle Brother set.

Yeah he's an absolute mess. I hope he can hold it together and stay alive long enough to reach half of his creative capacity. He's got some great interviews out there on YouTube. I'm a sucker for dark albums and this Black Dirt is about as dark as it gets.

Dan (nyctaper) comes through yet again....not posting the link, just go there if you're interested:

Deer Tick, 8/10/11

Mulcahy's, Wantagh, NY

Tommy Brull Foundation Benefit Concert

Setlist:

[Total Time 1:57:59]

01 The Bump

02 Easy

03 Baltimore Blues No 1

04 Ashamed

05 Maybelline [Chuck Berry]

06 Main Street

07 [banter]

08 Little White Lies

09 Walkin Out That Door

10 [banter - Zep tease]

11 Choir Of Angels

12 When She Comes Home

13 Something to Brag About

14 Smith Hill

15 Standing at The Threshold

16 Waitress In The Sky [Replacements]

17 Spend the Night

18 Funny Word

19 Now Its Your Turn

20 [banter - Beatles tease]

21 Houston TX

22 20 Miles

23 Christ Jesus

24 Holy Shit Its Christmas

25 Serve The Servants [Nirvana]

26 Blue Moon (instrumental) [Rogers/Hammerstein]

27 La Bamba [trad arr Valens]

28 These Old Shoes

29 Not So Dense

30 [banter - play for charity]

31 Dirty Dishes

32 Bring It On Home to Me [sam Cooke]

33 Jam

34 Tequila [The Champs]

35 Bring Me My Shotgun [Lightning Hopkins]

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

They opened their summer tour with a benefit show at the John Boyle O'Reilly Irish Club in Springfield, Mass the other night with Titus Andronicus Ian O'Neill grew up at the place. Not a huge fan of the newest record (McCauley just wanted to make a fun, rockin replacements record so people would stop calling him just a folk/country guy), but live they just bring it every time. Great tribute to Levon as well with Ian's uncle singing a verse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynkK-B1QXyM

One of my favorite bands at the moment. If there ever was an heir to the 'mats it's Deer Tick. While McCauley isn't quite at the Westerberg level for songwriting yet, I absolutely love 99% of what he produces. Thank god for Delta Spirit/Middle Brother or else I probably would have never heard of these guys.

(and I'm absolutely pissed off that their show out here in LA is on the night of my son's 1st Communion. Maybe I can catch the Santa Ana show the next night...)

I was at the Springfield show with acouple of my friends. Got to meet John and we bullshitted with him for a while. I asked him if he wanted a shot, but he said he'd been drinking since 11 AM so it probably wasnt a good idea. The next night we caught them at the Stone Pony in NJ. Ran into John again outside smoking a cig, no one seemed to recognize him and he came up to my friend and myself cause he remembered us from last night. We bullshitted with him again for about ten minutes. My mission was to bring him a shot of Jamo during any song. The gigs were awesome, were catching them again in June. Meeting John for my friend was like anyone of this board meeting Tweedy. Cool experience.