• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The Zoran videos that were posted here a few months ago, but were made private due to high traffic volume, had Art Of Almost and quite possibly a band version of Open Mind. I think it's safe to say that these clips are culled from his Loft footage.

This little snippet is quite exciting. Now I am sure I will end up listening to an early live stream if there is one.

I've watched this about a dozen times and it fires me up each time. I noticed that Pat is credited as a co-producer on this one, and judging solely from these short clips I think his increased involvement is a very good thing. This record is released the day after I turn 30, and I can't think of a better present.

I've watched this about a dozen times and it fires me up each time. I noticed that Pat is credited as a co-producer on this one, and judging solely from these short clips I think his increased involvement is a very good thing. This record is released the day after I turn 30, and I can't think of a better present.

I think Pat's hand is all over this, and if this is any indication, it is a great thing. He and Jeff do appear to have a very good working relationship.

but if this album turns out to bring them to the general populace that would be great, they have earned the respect of the masses, not just the few in the know.

Aren't we (fans) masses enough? I sort of hate the idea of a Wilco juggernaut after all these years... I don't want "the masses" to come to Solid Sound! Small is beautiful.

Small is absolutely beautiful but if the world were to develop better musical taste than what currently makes virtual no-talents into megamillionaires (I won't name names....there are too many), it could only make for a smarter and more pleasant world.

But yeah, I don't wanna share my Wilco too much, either. :ninja It's a bit like a favorite recipe that you don't want to give to just anybody...only those who'll truly appreciate it! So selfish of us. :lol

I didn't think they were very small at all. I can't name any contemporary rock bands that I'm a fan of who are 'bigger' (save a few veterans: Stones, the Boss etc.) If you think you have Wilco to yourself then you will be excited to find a world of extraordinary musicians that people care about even less.

Exactly. Wilco is already a pretty huge band, guys. And that's awesome. I'll never understand the lets keep this band to ourselves attitude.

I understand it ... but as it applies to Wilco, that ship has long since sailed.

I'll never understand the lets keep this band to ourselves attitude.

Having lived through the explosion of the Dead scene after In the Dark/Touch of Grey (the "Touchheads"), I understand the attitude. Different scenes, different music, I know, so the compare may not be apt, but still. From the fan's perspective, there is something nice about being on the inside of a "little secret", being able to go to Solid Sound and not wait on lines, be jostled by thousands of folks, etc.. See them at the Orpheum or Wang Center, not the Boston Garden. .On the other hand, Touch of Grey allowed the Dead to finally make some real money for the first time. So, if Wilco want to reach more people, sell more music, tickets, shirts, etc, I'm all for it for them. They deserve to attain their goals I think. But it does have the potential to change the fan's experience.

I think Wilco still has room to "grow" into a bigger fan base. I don't know if they are ready to sell out Madison Square Garden (by themselves). They played to an non sell-out crowd at UIC Pavilion a couple years ago and that was in Chicago, granted it was a 2nd night of a two night run. I wish them all the success that they can muster up. I am sure Tweedy will still play solo shows at small, out of the way places, like he always has been.

Wilco have a pretty large following guys, most of their shows sell out. They have earned every fan they have by hardwork and dedication, and they have done it without having to conform to what a record executive tells them to do. They get air play on some alternative radio and sattellite radio, they arent completely invisible. They have even won a Grammy. I have never met a Wilco fan I didn't like. They tend to attract people that actually care about the music they listen too, instead of just being fed whatever is on the top 20.

As long as they sustain quality songwriting/performances, then I could care less how BIG they get.

Yep. We should totally nail the doors shut here to people who catch onto Wilco on/after September 27th. The line in the sand was drawn after each of us caught onto Wilco. I'm glad that I was let in back in 2003. What would have I done if the people told me "no! you can't like Wilco! it's our little secret!"? What if my best friend never lent me Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and decided to keep it all to himself?

Wilco isn't some special V.I.P. club that we like to close the doors on once we "catch" onto them. It's open to all people. That's what music is. It is transcendental.

Although, if we want to treat it like that then we can have our own resident Gandalf watching the borders.

You_Shall_Not_Pass.jpg

Besides, let me let all of you in on a little secret. Wilco is after "The Masses". Slowly, but surely they are brainwashing all of us. That's why they're giving out tote bags. Each comes with a microchip that gets onto our bodies and turns us into drooling fools.

We're like Reggie Jackson in The Naked Gun. Furthermore, plans are under way to send us plaster castings of their penises for the next album. It may be shrink wrapped, but the good news is that it doubles as a two way radio. So you can say "yo, what's up?!" into Pat's wee wee. Dropped calls may still be an issue.

Yep. We should totally nail the doors shut here to people who catch onto Wilco on/after September 27th. The line in the sand was drawn after each of us caught onto Wilco. I'm glad that I was let in back in 2003. What would have I done if the people told me "no! you can't like Wilco! it's our little secret!"? What if my best friend never lent me Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and decided to keep it all to himself?

Wilco isn't some special V.I.P. club that we like to close the doors on once we "catch" onto them. It's open to all people. That's what music is. It is transcendental.

I don't think anything I read here was talking about closing doors. Nor should my post be taken as such. You can ask my friends, I play Wilco (music or dvd) for every single person who comes to my house. :guitar

I don't think anything I read here was talking about closing doors. Nor should my post be taken as such. You can ask my friends, I play Wilco (music or dvd) for every single person who comes to my house. :guitar

I wasn't specifically citing your post or the other ones on here (and not just in this thread). It was simply a metaphor on my part. That's kind of how it sounds though, doesn't it? I didn't get into post counts because I know that that is no way to figure out how long someone has liked the band (nor should it really matter), but it is interesting that in this thread the few people making these statements have few post counts which could be misconstrued into other generalizations (and has been on this board). {In fact, I only bring it up here to make my point.}

The point that I was trying to make was a lot of people tend to want "the doors shut" once they've gotten into the room, even if that room has been open for about 16 years and they got in after that.

I wasn't specifically citing your post or the other ones on here (and not just in this thread). It was simply a metaphor on my part. That's kind of how it sounds though, doesn't it? I didn't get into post counts because I know that that is no way to figure out how long someone has liked the band (nor should it really matter), but it is interesting that in this thread the few people making these statements have few post counts which could be misconstrued into other generalizations (and has been on this board). {In fact, I only bring it up here to make my point.}

The point that I was trying to make was a lot of people tend to want "the doors shut" once they've gotten into the room, even if that room has been open for about 16 years and they got in after that.

To prove your point, I was listening to and seeing Uncle Tupelo, so my post counts here on VC don't shed much light. As I wrote above, I'm not certainly shutting any doors behind me on Wilco (just the opposite is true), but at the same time if I had a magic wand, I would always want to be able to see the bands I like play in venues no larger than the size of the Orpheum/Beacon, etc. rather than the Garden or some NFL stadium. I know there's an internal inconsistency there. Such is life. :headbonk

yeah..seeing a band for $15 bucks in a small club, then being forced to pay $50 to see them in an arena does hurt a bit. However just be happy you were able to see them play in such a small venue...so all those new "kids" can be jealous of you.

That being said, I've seen Wilco 4 times (YHF tour, AGIB tour, festival gig, Evening With tour), and each time I have somehow found a way to be very close to the stage. I've never had a problem getting tickets to their shows either (however I live in South Florida, the 1 place on their entire "evening with" tour that did not sell out.)