Malkmus/Jicks - Mirror Traffic - NPR First Listen

my initial thoughts...beck is a genius....not surprisingly, i think the production might be better than any album malkmus has ever done

all the wild, ramblingness of real emotional trash (which i liked too) has been condensed into short and sweet classic tunes....a completely different record

RET: 10 tracks - 55 minutes

MT: 15 tracks - 51 minutes

from SM in May:

“Hey its May 2011– and we have some updates. Yeah, the new album is called “Mirror Traffic”. There was a lot of deliberation on the album title front but in the end we went the cryptic route–for some reason “Madonna in Love” didnt swing it with the test market. FOr a long stretch when it was gonna be called “L.A. Guns”, but with lawsuits flying left and right these days, I was talked off the ledge by cooler minds. This is bad form to talked about what might have been, Negative Hypnosis, but in the age of tell-all I thought I’d join in.

from Mike in July:

We’re having lots of fun practicing for the upcoming tour; re-learning all the songs off Mirror Traffic with Jake, plus dusting off a few deep-ish tracks from the first 4 records. Also, over the course of the last year plus, Stephen’s written a whole new album’s worth of tunes, so we’ll probably play a few different new ones every night. And we’re learning some surprise covers too, so it should make for a fun show.

i just realized that janet's gone, which kinda sucks, but at least she went out w/ a kick-ass record.

playing some pretty cool venues:

Tue Sep 20, 2011

Detroit MI | Majestic Theatre | Buy Tickets

Wed Sep 21, 2011

Toronto ON | Phoenix Concert Theatre | Buy Tickets

Thu Sep 22, 2011

Ottawa ON | Ritual | Buy Tickets

Fri Sep 23, 2011

Montreal QC | Corona Theatre | Buy Tickets

Sat Sep 24, 2011

Boston MA | Royale | Buy Tickets

Mon Sep 26, 2011

New York NY | Terminal 5 | Buy Tickets

Wed Sep 28, 2011

Philadelphia PA | Theatre of Living Arts | Buy Tickets

Thu Sep 29, 2011

Baltimore MD | Ram’s Head Live | Buy Tickets

Fri Sep 30, 2011

Charlottesville VA | Jefferson Theater | Buy Tickets

Sat Oct 01, 2011

Saxapahaw NC | The Haw River Ballroom | Buy Tickets

Sun Oct 02, 2011

Atlanta GA | Variety Playhouse | Buy Tickets

Tue Oct 04, 2011

Nashville TN | Mercy Lounge | Buy Tickets

Wed Oct 05, 2011

Indianapolis IN | Earth House | Buy Tickets

Thu Oct 06, 2011

Chicago IL | Vic Theatre | Buy Tickets

Fri Oct 07, 2011

Milwaukee WI | Turner Hall | Buy Tickets

Sat Oct 08, 2011

Minneapolis MN | Pantages Theatre | Buy Tickets

Tue Oct 11, 2011

Seattle WA | Neptune Theatre | Buy Tickets

with Ty Segall

Wed Oct 12, 2011

Vancouver BC | The Biltmore Cabaret | Buy Tickets

with Ty Segall

Thu Oct 13, 2011

Portland OR | Crystal Ballroom | Buy Tickets

with Ty Segall

Sun Oct 16, 2011

San Francisco CA | Treasure Island Music Festival | Buy Tickets

Wed Oct 19, 2011

Los Angeles CA | The Music Box | Buy Tickets

with Ty Segall

Thu Oct 20, 2011

Solana Beach CA | Belly Up Tavern | Buy Tickets

with Ty Segall

also europe in november

I have given his a couple of listens now, and I say Beck's production is top notch. The album starts off really strong, but it then fades in to the background. I feel as though the last third of the album isundistinguishable. I do say that Senator is a damn catchy song. Unfortunately I have been caught absentmindedly singing it in front of my kids.

I have given his a couple of listens now, and I say Beck's production is top notch. The album starts off really strong, but it then fades in to the background. I feel as though the last third of the album isundistinguishable. I do say that Senator is a damn catchy song. Unfortunately I have been caught absentmindedly singing it in front of my kids.

Yeah, I'm a bit afraid to play this in the car as I will forget to forward past this song. Not that my 17 and 14 year old daughters have not heard the term at this point... And if anybody implies anything beyond that I'm coming through this computer!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Going to see him this Thursday in Chicago. I like the new one, but I think I like Real Emotional Trash better.

They changed the venue for Thursday's show from the Vic to the Metro. I always assume there is a venue change due to lack of ticket sales (the Metro is a bit smaller than the Vic), but I could be wrong about that.

Of course, the Metro show is not sold out yet.

I saw him last week in NY. He, and the Jicks, were great. They played nothing from RET, unfortunate because I love that as well. Regardless, it was a great concert. Really, really good in fact.

Interestingly, they changed to a smaller venue in NY too. They also switched it to an earlier night. I'm not sure who "they" are, but.....

Great show last night - they did play "Real Emotional Trash". The new drummer was decent, nice stage presence - he sang Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)then they went into Benny and the Jets for the encore - sloppy as all hell, but fun. Must admit I'm kinda sweet on Joanna Bolme. She's a hoot to watch.

Saw them last night in Milwaukee. Sadly it was about half empty at Turner Hall, but I'm assuming part of it is attributed to a game 5 NLDS game being held 5 miles away.

The show was solid. I'm a late-comer to Malkmus' career (started listening to Pavement about 5 years ago and Real Emotional Trash when that came out). Very, very loose show and the band all seemed to be having fun. Steve dubbed it "Fan Appreciation Night" and took an audience request about halfway through the set only to semi-insult the person's request. They still played it though and had fun doing it. I disappointed that the only cut off Real Emotional Trash was the title track but I chalk it up to them played all those songs on their prior tour and having a new-ish drummer.

The Brewers won their game before the set started and Malkmus came out and want on a mini-rant about how good it was that the Brewers won but that they'd better take out the Cardinals because he f(*&^(ing hates the Cardinals.

Fun times and well worth the price of admission.