Rank The Studio Albums

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with "One Headlight"?

Whatever it is, it doesn't have a lot to do with what's right about 'I am Trying to Break Your Heart." Different strokes for different folks, but it's not hard to imagine most Wilco fans were drawn to something in the band that wasn't the slick, Walgreens ready, vanilla rock of the Wallflowers.

I'm reminded of a bit from Learning How to Die where a record exec was telling Tweedy how exasperated he was in their raucous performance of the newly penned Being There songs saying "What are you guys doing? You could be like the next Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers!". Tweedy responded something like "I'd rather be like the REAL Heartbreakers, the one with Johnny Thunders."

A.M. and Being There are still my favorite Wilco albums. I don't see A.M. as being slicked up - but I am sure the record company was hoping they would have hits. Of course, that is the way it use to be back in the old timey days. I see A.M. as somewhat narrow sounding, and then Being There became wide. It's sort of like the difference between the first two Black Crowes albums.

I don't much care for The Wallflowers or The Counting Crows. I don't think Wilco ever had that sort of gloss put on their music.

Whatever it is, it doesn't have a lot to do with what's right about 'I am Trying to Break Your Heart." Different strokes for different folks, but it's not hard to imagine most Wilco fans were drawn to something in the band that wasn't the slick, Walgreens ready, vanilla rock of the Wallflowers.

I'm reminded of a bit from Learning How to Die where a record exec was telling Tweedy how exasperated he was in their raucous performance of the newly penned Being There songs saying "What are you guys doing? You could be like the next Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers!". Tweedy responded something like "I'd rather be like the REAL Heartbreakers, the one with Johnny Thunders."

I remember reading that bit as well, but it always made me laugh a bit. It sounds like Tweedy is dismissing Tom Petty -- yet "Listen to Her Heart" was a live staple during the A.M. tour.

I think that's an extremely unfair characterization of the Wallflowers. I happen to enjoy Wilco and early Counting Crows and the Wallflowers. All for different reasons. I also like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Of course, as usual on this board, it is customary to tear something down to demonstrate how much you like something else.

What's wrong with "One Headlight"? Or early Counting Crows, for that matter?

Nothing at all. I was trying to think of some bands that had big Radio hits circa 94-96. There has been a lot of talk in the press of Wilco and Reprise searching for that elusive "hit" song. It wasn't a dis, I was just mentioning some names of bands that had hits at that time. Like the grunge scene in late "90 and into ninety one with Nirvana, there were many bands "encouraged" to make a certain sound to have a hit and make money. It is a indictment of the industry. Not any band or musician who just wants to be successful. :)

• 2 years later...

1) Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2) A Ghost Is Born

3) Being There

4) Star Wars

5) Summerteeth

6) AM

7) Sky Blue Sky

8) The Whole Love

9) Wilco The Album

If you were to take all the Wilco Mermaid Avenue 1 and 2 songs and put them on one album, it'd probably be #2. But alas, we have to listen to Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key.