Rank The Studio Albums

[...] but I really struggle to see how someone would like Wilco (the album) more than The Whole Love.

I fall into that category. Again, it's subjective but I feel like WTA (despite its flaws) is far more cohesive than TWL. That was probably the biggest dissapointment with TWL when it came out - it just felt all over the place and felt like three seperate records (playing simultaneously).

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilco the album felt completely lazy and thrown together for me. I'm sure it wasn't, but it's filled with so many boring and Medicore songs. Sometimes I forget it even exists, that's how often I listen to it.

And when I do decide to listen to it again out of curiosity , I instantly remember how much I dislike it. Funny that's it's one of the higher rated wilco albums post Yankee on Pitchfork

I think summerteeth has aged really poorly, this is a album of great songs, that are so much better live , that the album just feels antiquated .

For some reason the same doesn't apply to Being There or even AM. Possibly because these albums had relatively simple/yet engaging folk/pop/country songs.

I'm thinking of my new ranking...but I really got to sit on Star Wars for a little longer

Toughest.Challenge.Ever. I don't think i've ever tried to do this even inside my head. It's too difficult...or is it?

1.YHF

2.Mermaid Ave. 1 & 2(To me, they're a package deal. You could basically fit all the WIlco songs from that project onto one cd. One AMAZING cd).

3.A Ghost Is Born(The album that has aged the best in the Wilco catalouge. Challenging and great when it came out, it sounds even more remarkable now. Also likely to remain the most unique, since Jeff plays all the lead guitar parts for the first and probably last time. The Muzzle Of Bees solo is probably my favorite solo on any Wilco record).

4.Summerteeth

5.Being There

6.Star Wars(Easily the best full album effort since Nels and Pat Joined the band. This could go higher yet, but i need to listen a few thousand more times before i know for sure).

7.The Whole Love

8.Wilco(The Album)(Bull Black Nova is by far my favorite song from either this or SBS, therefore it beats SBS).

9.Sky Blue Sky

10.A.M.(not a bad album at all, Some great songs. it's just not really Wilco. It's a good Uncle Tupelo album without Jay Farrar. At least, that's what it sounds like to me.)

I think summerteeth has aged really poorly, this is a album of great songs, that are so much better live , that the album just feels antiquated .

For some reason the same doesn't apply to Being There or even AM. Possibly because these albums had relatively simple/yet engaging folk/pop/country songs.

I'm thinking of my new ranking...but I really got to sit on Star Wars for a little longer

I think in places Summerteeth certainly has a dated feel to it where you'd imagine that a bunch of tracks could have not been recorded at any other time that the late 90's ("Can't Stand It", "Shot In The Arm", "ELT", etc.) The same thing affects other records from around that time - i.e. Pavement's Terror Twilight,  Neil Finn's Try Whistling This...

Still, I think a few of the tracks hold up pretty well and transcend their timestamp - "She's A Jar", "Via Chicago" "How To Fight Lonliness", "In A Future Age".

Wilco the album felt completely lazy and thrown together for me. I'm sure it wasn't, but it's filled with so many boring and Medicore songs. Sometimes I forget it even exists, that's how often I listen to it.

And when I do decide to listen to it again out of curiosity , I instantly remember how much I dislike it. Funny that's it's one of the higher rated wilco albums post Yankee on Pitchfork

I have a hard time with it, but I still feel there's a bit more direction to it than TWL in spite of the occasionally pedestrian material ("You & I", "Country Disappeared", "I'll Fight", "Sonny Feeling"). Both "I'll Fight" and "Sonny Feeling" are probably the two worst songs Tweedy's ever wrote. That's right - I'll rate "Barnyard Pimp"* above those two.

TWL is just scattered all over the shop and I find a bunch of the tracks so unfocused, lazy and irritating - "Sunloathe", "Dawned On Me", "Open Mind", "Capitol City", "Standing O", Capitol City". I can't fathom how they left "Message From Mid-Bar" off the album. I do particularly like "Black Moon", "Rising Red Lung" and "One Sunny Morning" though.

* That's not to say that "Barnyard Pimp" is a 'song' per se, rather a few minutes of intentionally ugly country skronk.

I think in places Summerteeth certainly has a dated feel to it where you'd imagine that a bunch of tracks could have not been recorded at any other time that the late 90's ("Can't Stand It", "Shot In The Arm", "ELT", etc.) The same thing affects other records from around that time - i.e. Pavement's Terror Twilight,  Neil Finn's Try Whistling This...

Still, I think a few of the tracks hold up pretty well and transcend their timestamp - "She's A Jar", "Via Chicago" "How To Fight Lonliness", "In A Future Age".

Agreed, while the production feels dated, many of the songs on that record hold up for the lyrics alone.

Agreed, while the production feels dated, many of the songs on that record hold up for the lyrics alone.

The lyrics on YHF are great, but some of Jeff's lyrics around the Summerteeth period are just incredible. I've heard some of the demoes, but it would be amazing to hear these in a much more embyonic state - just a couple of guitars and voice.

That was probably the biggest dissapointment with TWL when it came out - it just felt all over the place and felt like three seperate records (playing simultaneously).

This is definitely an angels on the head of a pin conversation, as it's all pretty relative when the vast majority of the albums are obviously at a pretty high level (though there's always something I can't stomach on each of them but that's just me).

I did want to say firstly though that it is very strange/fascinating to me how fans of the same act can be so diverse. I don't know whether that exists for other bands? I have no experience to tell. Probably a function of how varied Wilco's output has been. 

Which brings me on to my second comment. The variety of TWL is precisely what I like about it. With Wilco's output often compared to The Beatles, that's definitely their Revolver and I love it.

The lyrics on YHF are great, but some of Jeff's lyrics around the Summerteeth period are just incredible. 

I agree. There’s an anxiousness and darkness in the lyrics and Tweedy’s voice. That, combined with the sonics and beautiful studio pop conjured up by…I assume in somewhat large part, Jay Bennett (the pinnacle being Pieholden Suite…so amazing!)…makes for really fascinating listening. For me, it's Wilco's masterpiece.

This stuff is all subjective, but I really struggle to see how someone would like Wilco (the album) more than The Whole Love.

I think Wilco (The Album) has more highlights…Wilco (The Song), One Wing, Bull Black Nova, You And I, and Country Disappeared are all very solid tunes in my opinion. And I think Solitaire is one of Tweedy’s best-written songs. EVER.

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2. A Ghost Is Born

3. Being There

4. Summerteeth

5. Star Wars

6. A.M.

7. The Whole Love

8. Sky Blue Sky

9. Wilco (the album)

If forced to put Star Wars somewhere at this early stage, it would go right in the middle. I'm still not sure if it should be above or below A.M.

I think Wilco (The Album) has more highlights…Wilco (The Song), One Wing, Bull Black Nova, You And I, and Country Disappeared are all very solid tunes in my opinion. And I think Solitaire is one of Tweedy’s best-written songs. EVER.

Agreed! Finally someone who gets it. Everlasting Everything is not too shabby either.

Wilco (the Album) could be argued to have more weaknesses though: Sonny Feeling, I'll Fight, Deeper Down. And, as a matter of taste I'd say the middling songs that I could give or take were Wilco (the Song), You and I, You Never Know, and Everlasting Everything (my mood varies on this one). I would argue it is an album that has a few of the greatest songs in the catalog (One Wing) buried by underwhelming songs that I haven't truly been sad to see leave the live roster. It was a fine record.

The Whole Love has a match for match or two with those songs that might not necessarily sound the same but satisfy a similar itch:

Bull Black Nova - Art of Almost

One Wing - (This does not exist in the catalog)

Solitaire - Rising Red Lung, One Sunday Morning

Country Disappeared - Black Moon

The weaknesses were Open Mind and Standing O (I've never understood why there are people who think this is great) and the middling songs were Sunloathe and Capitol City (written for Being There, belongs on Being There Disc 2 with its companions (Was I) In Your Dreams, Why Would You Wanna Live). The other four were great in their own right and brought an energy that W(tA) lacked especially with the way they mixed John's bass in.

Just a counter point, I like them both.

The Whole Love has a match for match or two with those songs that might not necessarily sound the same but satisfy a similar itch:

Bull Black Nova - Art of Almost

One Wing - (This does not exist in the catalog)

Solitaire - Rising Red Lung, One Sunday Morning

Country Disappeared - Black Moon

Born Alone is the One Wing of TWL.

One Sunday Morning is the one that's in its own league.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Summerteeth

2. Sky Blue Sky

3. A Ghost is Born

4. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

5. Being There

6. Star Wars (straight in, with a bullet)

7. The Whole Love

8. Wilco (The Album)

9. AM

YHF is great, but a tad overrated because of it's history.

I agree. There’s an anxiousness and darkness in the lyrics and Tweedy’s voice. That, combined with the sonics and beautiful studio pop conjured up by…I assume in somewhat large part, Jay Bennett (the pinnacle being Pieholden Suite…so amazing!)…makes for really fascinating listening. For me, it's Wilco's masterpiece.

Meant to quote and reply...but couldn't agree more about the lyrics on ST. Of were talking strictly lyrics the whole ranking might change but I'd go ST, BT, YHF top 3

Agreed! Finally someone who gets it. Everlasting Everything is not too shabby either.

Right On!...and... Right On! I've given up trying to rank them, but I'm still a huge champion of the severely underrated "Wilco (The Album)". When I saw Jeff solo, at the all-request benefit show a year or two ago, the person I was standing next to in line & I compared notes & both of our top requests were for "Everlasting Everything". When Jeff played it he noted that none other than Bill Fay had told him that he thought it was the best song he'd ever written.

I also agree that "Solitaire" is one of his greatest songs ever. And let me put in a word for "Deeper Down" here as well, since it's one that neither of you mentioned. Jeff did it, solo acoustic, at the Tweedy Washington D.C. show (it was my WilcoWorld request that night) & it was jaw dropping- a total fave. That covers almost the whole album now... So what's left out- "You Never Know", "Sonny Feeling" & "I'll Fight" & I have to say I don't hear a weak track amongst those either...and... I totally dig "Dark Neon"- especially the recent live takes on it.

There are some interesting observations here about Summerteeth.  Made me pull it out of the catalog for the first time in awhile. What I discovered is this:  I love that album, but mainly I love the way that album is played live today.  The actual production cuts seem a bit underwhelming compared to how the are played today.  Shot in the Arm comes to mind here.

In terms of underappreciated songs: I find Dash 7 to be haunting and beautiful - a sort of indicator on AM that there is a much deeper, more serious side of Wilco yet to come

Trying to rank the albums is impossible for me.  I am 100% enamored with Star Wars right now and I honestly think it might make an argument for the top two or three.  So for now...

Ghost is Born - For me, this is the seminal Wilco record.  A masterpiece of tension and distress.

Star Wars - Calling it a return to form is unfair, so let's call it a return to the somewhat dark side of Wilco, bolstered by the occassional moment of light.  I just can't get enough of it.

YHF.  Because Yankee Hotel Foxtrot...and stuff.

Summerteeth - It would be lower ranked if the live versions hadn't pumped so much life into it.

Being There - I love this record.  I think I'd love it more with fewer songs.

Sky Blue Sky.  You know a band is good when SBS is toward the bottom.

AM - A bit like Summerteeth, I think the current live versions of these songs are superior to their dated originals.  It feels very much like the poppy follow up to Anodyne. I once combined some songs from AM with some songs from Trace and created a rally great Uncle Tupelo record!

TWL - For me, this album starts and ends with pure brilliance.  Some of the filler in between feels like...filler.

WTA - There are some great songs on this album for me. Again, it's a sign of how good their music is that I put this at the bottom.

Right On!...and... Right On! I've given up trying to rank them, but I'm still a huge champion of the severely underrated "Wilco (The Album)". When I saw Jeff solo, at the all-request benefit show a year or two ago, the person I was standing next to in line & I compared notes & both of our top requests were for "Everlasting Everything". When Jeff played it he noted that none other than Bill Fay had told him that he thought it was the best song he'd ever written.

I also agree that "Solitaire" is one of his greatest songs ever. And let me put in a word for "Deeper Down" here as well, since it's one that neither of you mentioned. Jeff did it, solo acoustic, at the Tweedy Washington D.C. show (it was my WilcoWorld request that night) & it was jaw dropping- a total fave. That covers almost the whole album now... So what's left out- "You Never Know", "Sonny Feeling" & "I'll Fight" & I have to say I don't hear a weak track amongst those either...and... I totally dig "Dark Neon"- especially the recent live takes on it.

Ranking the albums is an impossible task for me, but I wanted to chime in on the underrated WTA. I also think it's far better than people give it credit for. The one thing that's always baffled me is why the heck they left "Dark Neon" off the album. It's not like the album had a cohesive feel that "Dark Neon" wouldn't fit — the album was a "little from here, little from there" anyway, and "Dark Neon" would have added some color and punch, especially to the post-"Country Disappeared" stretch. I'm not saying WTA is Wilco's finest album — even as a fan I don't like the arrangements on some of the songs toward the end — but I think including "Dark Neon" would have changed the album's public perception a bit.

I'd like to see people list the first Wilco album they listened to alongside their lists. 

I'm betting that the people who discovered Wilco after Summerteeth or later are more often the ones who have AM and Being There ranked lower. 

First Wilco album I bought was SBS. That said, my tastes have changed over time as initially YHF & AM didn't click with me like SBS, AGIB or ST. To this day I'm not the biggest fan of W(TA) or TWL.

My list:

YHF

AGIB

ST

SW

BT

SBS

AM

TWL

W(TA)

I'm betting that the people who discovered Wilco after Summerteeth or later are more often the ones who have AM and Being There ranked lower. 

That's likely true, but I got on board with YHF and would place BT in my top three.