Rank The Studio Albums

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the  Wilco The Album bashing that has gone on around here the last couple/few years(never by me for the record), I must say that lately when I hear these songs played live on the newer Roadcase sets I own it is a really refreshing treat. To be specific Deeper Down, Country Disappeared, One Wing....these are great songs and they are only getting better with age. 

Forgive me, for I know this is somewhat off-topic, but I am having a hard time finding the Uncle Tupelo thread.

Wow, UT was good! The first album burst right out of the gate on a very high note. I really admire the Peter Buck produced 3rd album. I'm surprised to find that Anodyne, of all their albums, ie the Major Label Debut, The One That Was Supposed To Hit It, is the hands down weakling of the 4, to my ears. No Sense In Lovin' must be the worst song that Tweedy has ever put his lips to. There is something seriously lacking in Anodyne that was present in the other 3.

IMHO A.M. continues on this unfortunate path. It sounds rushed and half baked to me. But Being There is the great leap forward. Wilco really begins with BT.

On another note, I still cannot grasp how great YHF is. The older I get, the more this monumental album grips my brain. Wilco have done wonderful things over the last 15 years, but there was a special magic with YHF which may never be recaptured. All the stars aligned. It's otherworldly. I think Tweedy knows this, and he purposely tries not to emulate it in any way, shape or form. What Wilco does now is wonderful (I love SW and Schmilco), but it is a different thing than YHF.

Gonna have to respectfully disagree on the UT analysis. I think No Depression is the least interesting of the four. It has some great tracks but the songwriting and arrangements improved vastly over the next three records. It's all too much of one sound for me and sounds redundant as it plays on. Of the more punk-leaning records, I prefer Still Feel Gone in every way. Superb. I do appreciate March 16-20 for what it is, but depending on the day or my mood, it can either be brilliant or a little redundant like No Depression. Anodyne, in no way, shape or form, in my mind, could  be considered the weakest of UT's tiny catalog. Sure, the band was splitting at that point, but the songwriting was at a peak for both Tweedy and Farrar (read: an Uncle Tupelo peak) and the "live in studio" sound is just fantastic. Very few weak spots on that record, and it's got a much richer, more varied sound than No Depression. 

To each their own, but I've NEVER heard anyone say Anodyne is the weakest UT album.

Agreed with Charlie. Anodyne is close to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot for my favourite Tweedy-related release. Every song on that album is great. 

To each their own, but I've NEVER heard anyone say Anodyne is the weakest UT album.

I will say the back half drags a bit. Steal the Crumbs is okay, but Farrar wrote at least a half dozen similar slow folky ballads which are better.  High Water is similar, but more boring. The pedal steel playing on it is nice though.

I think the other tracks are pretty great though. Good tunes from both songwriters.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm actually going to type out the names since the abbreviations are making me have to think too much

A Ghost is Born

Sky Blue Sky

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Ode to Joy

Star Wars

Summerteeth

The Whole Love

Being There

Schmilco

Wilco (The Album)

AM

If Kicking Television counted I'd put it at Number 2 under AGIB. Freaking love that record