Rank The Studio Albums

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fine double album, that. did you order them or just randomize it?

This is what nerds do...My goal was to make a single album, so I removed several tracks from both. I'll post the playlist when I have my ipod handy - if I recall correctly, the combined album has 13 songs. 6 from AM and 7 from Trace.

And as I'm typing this, I'm reminded just how fantastic Trace is. Jay's put out some good stuff since then, but that seemed to be his pinnacle. Jeff on the other hand just got better and better....

And one final comment for all you folks who put AGIB anywhere below the top 2: What the hell's wrong with you people? Clearly, you have quite unrefined musical tastes. :party

And one final comment for all you folks who put AGIB anywhere below the top 2: What the hell's wrong with you people? Clearly, you have quite unrefined musical tastes. :party

I wouldn't be so abrasive, but i agree that AGIB is a wonder. As I have stated, I feel this is one of the best records EVER.

There does seem to be a consensus on the top 4 (YHF, AGIB, BT, ST) and the bottom 3 (AM, SBS, WTA). Of course, I think that speaks more to the magical run Wilco was on during those 4 albums as opposed to any perceived severe drop-off in overall quality of the other three.

And I still think Sky Blue Sky is their least accomplished album. There are only 3 songs that I find essential (You Are My Face, Impossible Germany, Side With the Seeds).

Well, see, my list

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2. Summerteeth

3. Being There

4. A Ghost Is Born

5. A.M.

6. Wilco (The Album)

7. Sky Blue Sky

has AGIB at number four because the other albums are all better.

Actually, some of the songs on AGIB are better than some of the songs on some of the other records (e.g., Spiders is better than We're Just Friends), but only in the live setting. Not too crazy about the studio versions on AGIB.

Well, see, my list

has AGIB at number four because the other albums are all better.

Actually, some of the songs on AGIB are better than some of the songs on some of the other records (e.g., Spiders is better than We're Just Friends), but only in the live setting. Not too crazy about the studio versions on AGIB.

That's interesting to me only because I think AGIB is Wilco's best-produced and best-sounding album.

There does seem to be a consensus on the top 4 (YHF, AGIB, BT, ST) and the bottom 3 (AM, SBS, WTA).  Of course, I think that speaks more to the magical run Wilco was on during those 4 albums as opposed to any perceived severe drop-off in overall quality of the other three.

The run between Being There and YHF truly was magical. Add in the Mermaid discs, the YHF demos, the More Like the Moon EP. Really incredible stuff.

That is what makes it so tough to rank. I'd be able to more easily rank songs than entire albums. While BT wouldn't make #1 on my list, Far Far Away is probably my very favorite Wilco song. At this very moment, anyway.

Guest McGuffin

New and improved, categorical rankings:

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (by far)

2. A Ghost is Born

3. Summerteeth/Being There (tie)

5. Da Whole Nine Yards Love In

6. SBS

7. WTA

8. AM

1. A Ghost Is Born

2. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

3. The Whole Love

4. Sky Blue Sky

5. Wilco The Album

6. Summerteeth (very interchangeable with A.M.)

7. A.M.

8. Being There

You can kinda tell which Wilco I like best... I have honestly spent the least amount of time with Being There than any of their other albums, because it isn't exactly my cup of tea. A double album of a genre I'm not too crazy about seems like a chore most of the times. That's my justification, sorry.

Ps. +1 to those who think GIB is an amazingly produced album - it is completely masterful in every way. Muzzle of Bees has got to be one of the top 3 songs ever recorded in history, just saying.

1. A Ghost Is Born

2. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

3. The Whole Love

4. Sky Blue Sky

5. Wilco The Album

6. Summerteeth (very interchangeable with A.M.)

7. A.M.

8. Being There

You can kinda tell which Wilco I like best... I have honestly spent the least amount of time with Being There than any of their other albums, because it isn't exactly my cup of tea. A double album of a genre I'm not too crazy about seems like a chore most of the times. That's my justification, sorry.

Ps. +1 to those who think GIB is an amazingly produced album - it is completely masterful in every way. Muzzle of Bees has got to be one of the top 3 songs ever recorded in history, just saying.

Personal preference, different tastes, yada, yada, yada. Ranking Being There last is absolutely preposterous. Exactly what genre is it? There are more "genres" represented on that one album than any other Wilco album.

Personal preference, different tastes, yada, yada, yada. Ranking Being There last is absolutely preposterous. Exactly what genre is it? There are more "genres" represented on that one album than any other Wilco album.

I agree. Some of the best Wilco songs are on that record...Misunderstood, Hotel Arizona, Sunken Treasure, The Lonely 1, Monday...but whatevs.

I'm listening to The Lonely 1 as I type and that is one gorgeous song.

Not a big fan of trying this, but here goes. I'm excluding TWL because I haven't heard it enough yet to slot it.

Ranking the studio records as they were recorded

1. ST
  2. AGIB
  3. YHF
  4. SBS
  5. BT
  6. MMA I/II
  7. AM
  8. W(TA)

Now for laughs, I'll rank then by how much I like the songs as played live by the current line-up

1. AGIB
  2. YHF (interchangable with AGIB)
  3. ST
  4. SBS
  5. BT
  6. MMA I/II
  7. AM -- love Too Far Apart live, but that's kinda it
  8. WTA -- One Wing is the only song I hope makes it into the regular rotation on their upcoming tours