Rank The Studio Albums

Hi, champ. How are you?

No, I'm not security. Where did I claim to be? Nowhere. Clear, cap'n?

Anyway, I was referring more to posts earlier in the thread where people were going at other posts.

Hope this helps!

Yes and I think we can be done with this now and everyone can get back to ranking albums.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. AGIB

2. YHF

3. TWL

4. BT

5. ST

6. SBS

7. WTA

8. AM

I'm not even kidding. What's interesting is to listen to all of TWL and then put on one of their older records. They've changed a lot over the years. It's hard to compare the band that made BT to the band that made TWL. They seem to have very different ideas about playing music.

I'm not even kidding. What's interesting is to listen to all of TWL and then put on one of their older records. They've changed a lot over the years. It's hard to compare the band that made BT to the band that made TWL. They seem to have very different ideas about playing music.

For reasons unrelated to the impending release of TWL, I've spent a lot of time over the last month revisiting all of the previous albums, and it has been a remarkable journey. The differences are so stark that it's difficult to rank the albums against one another. I'm thankful that I enjoy nearly all sides of Wilco--for me, that seems to be the clearest common thread between the different eras and lineups.

1. Sky Blue Sky (haters gon' hate)

2. A Ghost Is Born

3. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

4. The Whole Love (this might rise as time goes on)

5. Wilco (The Album)

6. Being There

7. Summerteeth

8. A.M.

Yeah I'm different than you people I guess.

Phew, at least one other guy on here's got a similar Wilco taste.

• 3 weeks later...

First time poster...

1. YHF

2. AGiB

3. ST

(2 and 3 are interchangeable)

4. BT

5. SBS

6. W(TA)

7. AM

I agree with some that SBS is very underrated... at least the first five or so songs (the first three are mad good). AM is just Pablo Honey, doesn't mean it's bad; it's just not the maturity level of what was to come.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a perfect album.

This is probably it for me:

1. A Ghost Is Born

3. Summerteeth

4. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

5. Being There

6. The Whole Love

7. A.M.

8. Wilco (The Album)

I think my criteria boils down to "Which album, when I hit play or drop the needle on, gets me the most excited about what is about to happen?" In that regard, YHF and BT are at a disadvantage thanks to familiarity.

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 10/10

2. Being There 9.5/10

3. Sky Blue sky 8.7/10

4. The Whole Love 8.6/10

5. Summerteeth 8.6/10

6. A Ghost is Born (always surprised at the high rankings for this frontloaded album) 8/10

7. A.M. 6.9/10

8. Wilco (The Album) 5.8/10

1. YHF

2. AGIB

3. Summerteeth

4. BT

5.TWL

6.SBS

7.WTA

8.AM

Early days, but I have a hunch that 5 and 4 could swap places 6 months down the line. Disc 2 of BT isn't as strong as Disc1 so that might see TWL leapfrog it on the basis of overall consistency.

Can we do a poll, just to see what the definitive order is in between YHF at the undisputed top of the pile, and WTA and AM at the bottom? That is surely all thats up for debate because the position of those 3 seems pretty consistent on most postings I have came across here and elsewhere. I would start the poll but don't know how, sorry :unsure

I went back through the thread and tabulated the results. Obviously, this is far from definitive. There were around 60 rankings.

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

-- By a pretty decent margin

2. Being There

3. Summerteeth

4. A Ghost is Born

-- Only 6 points separated these three, meaning any subsequent rankings could alter this order in any direction. Remarkably close.

5. Sky Blue Sky

6. A.M.

7. Wilco (the album)

-- These last three are not remotely close to the first four. Sky Blue Sky does have a pretty healthy lead for this spot, though, and the margin between all three is about the same as the margin between YHF and BT. It's safe to say that WTA is clearly the least favorite here.

I didn't include The Whole Love because most people didn't include it in their rankings.

Guest McGuffin

I went back through the thread and tabulated the results. Obviously, this is far from definitive. There were around 60 rankings.

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

-- By a pretty decent margin

2. Being There

3. Summerteeth

4. A Ghost is Born

-- Only 6 points separated these three, meaning any subsequent rankings could alter this order in any direction. Remarkably close.

5. Sky Blue Sky

6. A.M.

7. Wilco (the album)

-- These last three are not remotely close to the first four. Sky Blue Sky does have a pretty healthy lead for this spot, though, and the margin between all three is about the same as the margin between YHF and BT. It's safe to say that WTA is clearly the least favorite here.

I didn't include The Whole Love because most people didn't include it in their rankings.

Nicely done. I think that's pretty close to the overall, general opinion of fans, especially as to YHF being top and the wide gap between the first four and the rest.

Guest McGuffin

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 10/10

2. Being There 9.5/10

3. Sky Blue sky 8.7/10

4. The Whole Love 8.6/10

5. Summerteeth 8.6/10

6. A Ghost is Born (always surprised at the high rankings for this frontloaded album) 8/10

7. A.M. 6.9/10

8. Wilco (The Album) 5.8/10

Disagree with the placing of Ghost. And as for front loaded albums, WTA, SBS and even TWL are all front loaded. Wilco has fallen into the habit of deep valleys in the middle to third-quarter of their last three albums and then picking up the slack a bit toward the end. Black Moon and Open Mind are not amazing or anywhere close to it. :wave